Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rust belt city (other than Pittsburgh) which has had the best recovery?
Detroit 8 8.51%
Baltimore 3 3.19%
St Louis 5 5.32%
Cincinnati 39 41.49%
Cleveland 6 6.38%
Milwaukee 16 17.02%
Buffalo 13 13.83%
Rochester 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 10:33 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
Not sure where you got this impression of Milwaukee. There is relatively little "suburban sprawl" within city limits, especially residential suburban-style development. The vast majority of post-World War II housing was built on 40- to 50-foot lots on grid street blocks, many with alleys and rear garages (see, for example Google aerials of Southwest Side around 60th and Oklahoma or West Side around 76th and Burleigh). It's true that a good amount of central city housing has been demolished, but new housing construction in and near downtown has been very strong in recent decades, and the city is doing okay population-wise.
Lots of it was even prewar but I mean it’s drop from 742,000 to 577,000 is not representative of the center city because they went on an annexation spree of inner suburbs they didn’t happen in most Rustbelt cities.

Kind of like if Buffalo annexed Lackawanna in 1952 it would look like the city “only” lost about 40%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 11:04 AM

471 posts, read 272,507 times
How much has Pittsburgh "recovered"? Pivoted, sure. But it's at less than 50% of its peak population and hasn't posted any gains since the 1950 census.

That said, probably Cincinnati.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:10 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
How much has Pittsburgh "recovered"? Pivoted, sure. But it's at less than 50% of its peak population and hasn't posted any gains since the 1950 census.

That said, probably Cincinnati.
To be fair, the topic refers to "recovered the best," meaning that of course any of these cities, including Pittsburgh, is a work-in-progress.

Putting aside population number alone (and as I noted on another thread Allegheny County actually did gain population for the first time since 1960 in the 2020 Census), I think this is moreso about which city proper that suffered amongst the worst from deindustrialization is positioned best today for future success. I think it's more than fair to acknowledge that Pittsburgh proper has come the farthest in that regard.

Metro areas, I acknowledge right off-the-bat, are more complex to compare, and make it much closer in terms of which is farthest along in an economic recovery.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:45 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Which major 'rust belt' city other than Pittsburgh has recovered the best? Which one has the best overall 'presentation?'
To distill the question to "which city has recovered the most back to its previous highest status", I'd say either Milwaukee or Cincinnati. Pittsburgh and Detroit (St. Louis to a slightly lesser extent) are simply nowhere near their peak status in relation to other cities today.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
What is this forum's obsession with population growth? China just recently posted a population decline. Does that mean China is insignificant?

Overall the future of the United States is population plateau followed by population decline, as is the case with most of the developed world.

I moved to Pittsburgh by choice and love it here. My entire monthly housing payment (including escrow) is $378/month for a 2-BR semi-detached home with a small fenced yard and a detached 1-car garage. When you aren't struggling to work overtime or a second job to make your basic bills life is good, and life is good for many, many people here. Meanwhile our population continues to decline. That doesn't make us a bad place to live. Hell, we haven't even had a winter yet this year, and it's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:46 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is this forum's obsession with population growth? China just recently posted a population decline. Does that mean China is insignificant?

Overall the future of the United States is population plateau followed by population decline, as is the case with most of the developed world.

I moved to Pittsburgh by choice and love it here. My entire monthly housing payment (including escrow) is $378/month for a 2-BR semi-detached home with a small fenced yard and a detached 1-car garage. When you aren't struggling to work overtime or a second job to make your basic bills life is good, and life is good for many, many people here. Meanwhile our population continues to decline. That doesn't make us a bad place to live. Hell, we haven't even had a winter yet this year, and it's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow.
I thought it was just my area experiencing a lack of winter, but I have recently come to realize that it is pretty much everywhere.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:59 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I thought it was just my area experiencing a lack of winter, but I have recently come to realize that it is pretty much everywhere.
Unfortunately, it has led to Buffalo getting slammed by a couple historic snowstorms, but that's mainly because Lake Erie never froze over so the lake effect storms were still able to build up. But I'm guessing outside of that, it's also been a very mild winter in WNY too.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:15 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Unfortunately, it has led to Buffalo getting slammed by a couple historic snowstorms, but that's mainly because Lake Erie never froze over so the lake effect storms were still able to build up. But I'm guessing outside of that, it's also been a very mild winter in WNY too.
Yeah, it has been, albeit a very gray one (and the unfrozen state of the lake is also a factor in that). At one point we had a streak where 50 of 61 days featured zero sunlight whatsoever. That was basically December and January. February's brought some much-needed Vitamin D. Tomorrow's predicted high is 60, not Pittsburgh-level but still unseasonably warm

Old 02-14-2023, 03:37 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
I attempted to find per capita income rankings by MSA, but I got sidetracked by a Forbes article that displayed mean and median net worth stats by state (so, not really at all related to the information I initially sought, lol), and I don't think I have it in me to go for any more googlings today, heh. Duderino's point about comparing metros vs. cities proper is fair, though...in the case of Detroit, the city itself is extremely poor, yet I've heard it said that suburban Oakland Cty is one of the ten wealthiest counties in the country. I live in the Buffalo area and find our purported 'renaissance' (which many a local politician likes to cite) to be overhyped, but I don't have the data I need to compare areas. And btownboss also makes a valid point that 'best recovery' doesn't necessarily equate to 'city/area that's best off at present'...the depth of each area's starting point must be considered as well.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:37 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, it has been, albeit a very gray one (and the unfrozen state of the lake is also a factor in that). At one point we had a streak where 50 of 61 days featured zero sunlight whatsoever. That was basically December and January. February's brought some much-needed Vitamin D. Tomorrow's predicted high is 60, not Pittsburgh-level but still unseasonably warm
I'm gonna guess that Buffalo hits higher than just 60 tomorrow/today. It's 50 here (Cleveland/Akron) as I type this on my porch after midnight (hoodie weather). Last I saw was 67 as the high but we'll probably hit over 70 for the second time in a week. Not bad for mid February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City