Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Best
Oakland 16 21.05%
Baltimore 18 23.68%
Providence 14 18.42%
St Paul 9 11.84%
Tacoma 7 9.21%
Long Beach 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Providence’s borders are less than 40 miles from Boston’s borders. 35 miles or 38-minute drive from Southern Boston to Northern Providence. Baltimore borders are 34 miles from DC's and a 39-minute drive. But I think for me once you hit Pawtucket- that is the core of urban providence. And its 30 miles from Pawtucket to Boston's southern Border, or a 32-minute drive. Just for Reference.... If i drove from Boston's Southern border to its Northern border in Charlestown, that's 16 miles and a 32-minute drive right now as well.

Bostons Downtown to Providence downtown is 49 miles and a 51-minute drive right now. DC Downtown to Baltimore Downtown is 39 miles and a 1 hour and 1-minute drive right now.
Boarder to boarder to Baltimore and DC are 27 miles at their closest. Their beltways are ~20 miles by which point you’re already miles into their spheres of dominance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 10:43 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Boarder to boarder to Baltimore and DC are 27 miles at their closest. Their beltways are ~20 miles by which point you’re already miles into their spheres of dominance
Boston's beltway (I-495) and Providence's beltway (I-295) are just 7.7 miles apart.

Although you could consider 495 a shared beltway some of the suburbs north of 495 are technically Providence suburbs.

I-495 to 128/I-95 (next possible longest distance) is 14.7 Miles.

128 to 295 (furthest possible distance) is 20.2 Miles.

As the crow flies Boston and Providence are 29.3 miles apart borders to Border. ...

On the flip side, places as far as 61 miles away from Boston's borders are considered Boston MSA.

The distance from border of Mattapoisett Mass to the border of Southern Boston is 39.2 miles and it is part of the Boston MSA... border to border Mattapoisett MA to Providence is 29.5 miles.

There is significant overlap, as most people would call Mattapoisett more aligned with Providence. Whereas a place like Mansfield in the Providence MSA is more aligned with Boston. Mansfield is in the Providence MSA but is 9.5 miles from Boston city limits. Plainville, a part of the Boston MSA, is 9.5 miles from Providence city limits...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-22-2023 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston's beltway (I-495) and Providence's beltway (I-295) are just 7.7 miles apart.

Although you could consider 495 a shared beltway some of the suburbs north of 495 are technically Providence suburbs.

I-495 to 128/I-95 (next possible longest distance) is 14.7 Miles.

128 to 295 (furthest possible distance) is 20.2 Miles.

As the crow flies Boston and Providence are 29.3 miles apart borders to Border. ...

On the flip side, places as far as 61 miles away from Boston's borders are considered Boston MSA.

The distance from border of Mattapoisett Mass to the border of Southern Boston is 39.2 miles and it is part of the Boston MSA... border to border Mattapoisett MA to Providence is 29.5 miles.

There is significant overlap, as most people would call Mattapoisett more aligned with Providence. Whereas a place like Mansfield in the Providence MSA is more aligned with Boston. Mansfield is in the Providence MSA but is 9.5 miles from Boston city limits. Plainville, a part of the Boston MSA, is 9.5 miles from Providence city limits...
Are they though? Boston is the primary city for anything inside the 495, not Providence.

DC & Baltimore dynamic isn’t synonymous with Providence & Boston which is more akin to Milwaukee-Chicago or Sacramento-SF/Oakland relationship.

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-22-2023 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 12:07 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
DC & Baltimore dynamic isn’t synonymous with Providence & Boston which is more akin to Milwaukee-Chicago or Sacramento-SF/Oakland relationship.

I don’t think it’s like those relationships at all… other maybe than the power dynamic. It’s much too close M.

Providence is a quick trip and back, Boston isn’t out of town to Providence or visa versa unless your in the northern half of the metro above I-90/Mass Ave.

Even still Sacramento and Milwaukee are bigger cities and they’re both over 80 miles from the primate city. Twice the distance of Prov-Boston….

In the case of Sacramento you pass through a lot of farmland and enter different climactic zone. Different urban vernacular as well.

Also neither Milwaukee nor Sacramento is part of the CSA of the primate city.

Sacramento and Milwaukee have their own CSAs Providence and Baltimore do not. Both are more population equivalent to Baltimores and 2.5x more populace than the city of Providence.

And again, Sacramento and Milwaukee have their own sports team- as does Baltimore.

Providence only has Boston minor league teams. And again its beltways are less than 8 miles apart.

Boston runs train service to Providence and its suburbs, with another dozen, stops coming in 5 years...right into the Providence MSA. Nothing like that exists in Milwaukee/Chicago or SF-Oak/Sacramento. Not even in DC.
If you took the Metro all the way north in the direction of Milwaukee from Chicago you'd still have 40 miles to go, lol. You can take Boston's Commuter Rail right through Providence. MARC is similar but the MARC is not as frequent or as used as the Commuter MBTA Commuter Rail- and its run by Maryland, not DC.

Providence/Stoughton Line daily ridership has double or triple the daily ridership of the ENTIRE MARC.

Not sure what similarities you see, I really don’t see any. Outside of Sacramento being a state capital like Providence.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-22-2023 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 12:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
What is Baltimore & DCs dynamic?

Old 02-22-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What is Baltimore & DCs dynamic?
Virtually no one who lives around or inside either of the cities beltways is working in the opposite city, that’s not the case with the other cities on the list.

The only employment cross commuting between the two are in are in PG, Montgomery, Howard & AA Counties and even that is marginal at best.

People cross commute between the two for amenities, entertainment, etc… not for work

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-22-2023 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 08:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Are they though? Boston is the primary city for anything inside the 495, not Providence.

You can cross into the Baltimore MSA from the South and don't even know it. MSA Baltimore's influence isn't overly prevalent until you get above Rt. 32., or even Rt. 100 like 8 mi from the city proper.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The whole premise is Flawed from the initial post. Baltimore is in No Way a satellite city, which we all understand. You're running into opposition because you're saying it's not, while insinuating that is. Which is also why you run straight to the CSA designation, when every other city aside from Providence, is within the main cities' MSA.
No. There's two separate things here I guess aren't clear to you and others.

A. Washington DC and Baltimore are two independent functioning city propers with their own histories that would have no city-city connection if it weren't for the capital being placed where it was on purpose. The cities themselves by default cannot be satellites of one another. They are both primary in close proximity. But I also feel the same about Minneapolis and St. Paul, those two are just clearly closer, and more culturally aligned, but have their own independence of function, and it doesn't make St Paul a "satellite". It's a state capital of actual similar population. I see them as co-cities making up one metro area.

B. Washington, Baltimore, as well as Northern Virginia make up a multi nodal mega-region of mostly suburban counties, but two city poles, or metro bubbles with separate beltways and their own independent amenities and feeder cities/satellite suburbs. A few of those satellites are satellites of both cities, and there are other smaller suburbs merging uninterrupted between the two cities. Connection and proximity of both being strong enough in between to align both metro areas to form a single mega region.

Both A and B are true.

"CSA" designation or not the suburbs outside of DC would run into territory occupied by the Baltimore MSA if the city were wiped off the map tomorrow. So it's not about the metric at all. Tacoma and Seattle, DC and Baltimore, Providence and Boston are roughly all similar distances from one another. What's designated as the DC metro area just would expand further north and east if Baltimore city proper did not exist there,making DC's metro population larger. The inverse could maybe be argued for Baltimore reaching further Southward also except the city's influence is not as strong as DC's.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-22-2023 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 10:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You can cross into the Baltimore MSA from the South and don't even know it. MSA Baltimore's influence isn't overly prevalent until you get above Rt. 32., or even Rt. 100 like 8 mi from the city proper.
Are you aware of what suburbs Rt 100 runs through? That stretch of road runs through some of the most "culturally" Baltimore places in the Metropolitan Area such as Severn, Glen Burnie, Elkridge, Ellicott City, Pasadena.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Hard disagree. Laurel & Savage historically lean more towards Baltimore despite being officially within DC’s MSA to this day, let alone anything even in the vicinity of Rt. 100

DC only becomes omnipresent south of the Patuxent river/198. Everything between that and 32 is a hodgepodge of both metros (Laurel, Fulton & Savage).

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-22-2023 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City