Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Best
Oakland 16 21.05%
Baltimore 18 23.68%
Providence 14 18.42%
St Paul 9 11.84%
Tacoma 7 9.21%
Long Beach 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 08:09 AM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You also lose it anytime someone mentions DC and Baltimore in the same breath. I was mainly responding to Joakim who said Laurel is a Baltimore leaning suburb. Nobody trying to claim Catonsville and Glen Burnie as DC suburbs.
You just tried to claim Severn which literary borders Glen Burnie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 02:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 4,664,321 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You just tried to claim Severn which literary borders Glen Burnie.
No sir I said it could go either way but yes Severn is Baltimore's exurb. Let me rephrase, DC folks may not go to these areas but the entire area of Gambrills, FtMeade, to Annapolis all encroach upon Bowie, Crofton, Laurel.

Old 02-24-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
No sir I said it could go either way but yes Severn is Baltimore's exurb. Let me rephrase, DC folks may not go to these areas but the entire area of Gambrills, FtMeade, to Annapolis all encroach upon Bowie, Crofton, Laurel.
It doesn't go either way. It's a Baltimore Suburb, not exurb.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:13 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity do you know what the definition of an exurb is? Because Severn is the farthest thing from that definition.

An example of a Baltimore exurb would be Hanover, PA.

Old 02-24-2023, 04:36 PM

Default Boredatwork

Quote:
It doesn't go either way. It's a Baltimore Suburb, not exurb.
And that's great

Old 02-24-2023, 04:43 PM

Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Out of curiosity do you know what the definition of an exurb is? Because Severn is the farthest thing from that definition.

An example of a Baltimore exurb would be Hanover, PA.
Rep points coming your way

Old 02-24-2023, 05:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Rep points coming your way
I don’t do this for reps. It was a genuine question.

An exurb is municipality outside of the MSA (Hanover, PA - Baltimore) not a few miles from its the primary cities beltway (Severan). No, Severn is not and edge city like Towson, but it’s also not Westminster either.

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-24-2023 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 06:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
St Paul is not a satellite of Minneapolis. It is a city unto itself right next to Minneapolis with its own culture, its own distinct downtown core, and its own suburbs. Yet, because it is next to Minneapolis, many overlook St Paul. St. Paul is also older than Minneapolis and was the larger of the two more than a century ago.

St. Paul is now a larger city than Cincinnati, St. Louis or Pittsburgh. If it were on its own, it would be considered a metropolitan area in the same league as those cities, but it tends to get overlooked.
Exactly. 100% spot on. At that it's the state capital. Like I said I consider MSP co-cities of the same metro area, with Minny clearly being the more prominent, but SP is not a true satellite city, or exurb, or whatever people are trying to define here.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Bro, you need to go back and read what you wrote. I'm not responding to your whole post, but rather that part where you said that Baltimore and DC function the way Minn/St Paul does.
I said that similar to MSP that DC and Baltimore function independently. Not that DC and Baltimore function "like" MSP.

"The cities themselves (DC-Balt) by default cannot be satellites of one another. They are both primary in close proximity. But I also feel the same about Minneapolis and St. Paul, those two are just clearly closer, and more culturally aligned, but have their own independence of function, and it doesn't make St Paul a "satellite".

There are differences, no ignoring that MSP is a smaller and single metro, and single media market. But I'm referring to city function. St. Paul isn't a satellite of Minneapolis. It's a co-city neighbor.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I said that similar to MSP that DC and Baltimore function independently. Not that DC and Baltimore function "like" MSP.

"The cities themselves (DC-Balt) by default cannot be satellites of one another. They are both primary in close proximity. But I also feel the same about Minneapolis and St. Paul, those two are just clearly closer, and more culturally aligned, but have their own independence of function, and it doesn't make St Paul a "satellite".

There are differences, no ignoring that MSP is a smaller and single metro, and single media market. But I'm referring to city function. St. Paul isn't a satellite of Minneapolis. It's a co-city neighbor.
Theyre also in the same Metro. Baltimore and DC are not. But I get what your were trying to say now that you cleared it up. MSP may be more like Raleigh/Durham. RDU is a CSA, but their physical borders touch, and it's one media market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City