Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Best
Oakland 16 21.05%
Baltimore 18 23.68%
Providence 14 18.42%
St Paul 9 11.84%
Tacoma 7 9.21%
Long Beach 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 07:07 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
I didn't list Wilmington because it's too small and I skipped Newark and Jersey city because the NYC area is just a whole can of worms being how urban it is.

As for San Jose, I felt like the transit connection was too poor and it was on the threshold between cities like Milwaukee/Sacramento and cities like Oakland - If the BART connected into the core of the city and the job centers in its metro weren't so diffuse sure....... but San Jose is a huge job center that rivals or surpasses SF with poor transit connection. It's its own weird case.
Providence has historically had about 2.5x Wilmington's population, but from the 1920 to the 1950 Censuses, the latter had a population above 100k. Add to that the city's history as a center of the chemical industry in America, thanks in no small part to the company and family that are in a sense synonymous with Delaware, and I'd say it should be included in spite of its current population.

Delaware pays SEPTA to operate Regional Rail trains across northern New Castle County because Wilmington, even as a satellite of Philadelphia, has its own commuter shed. The state even owns a set of four "Silverliner V" regional rail cars in SEPTA's fleet.

(I commuted from Center City Philadelphia to downtown Wilmington for about six months in 2005 when I had a temp assignment at one of the large credit card banks with offices on Rodney Square.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 08:02 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
At best I can concede that Boston's pull is certainly stronger and those towns are at least "shared" satellites, but Fall River is a pretty strong "satellite" of Providence vs that of Boston idk how one could say its' not.

I mainly point out the places I'm most familiar with, since I've mainly been to Providence and points South and East of it like New Bedford, Fall River, the Cape etc. Attleboro, Wrentham, and Foxboro I haven't spent time in, but are all on the linear path in between Providence and Boston. I'm not making it out to be some regional nexus, as the influence is limited, but Providence still has other suburbs North and West of it like Warwick and Woonsocket so it's got it's own bubble within the larger region.
I mean yea…it’s got suburbs but even the people I know in Woonsocket and Attleboro work in Mass..but they’re from Mass… so I’m biased. but I had a kid in my HS who lived in Foxboro- he went to private school in Providence until 8th grade and he started going to my school in Boston. Another kid in his class from Bellingham MA had the exact same story. They’re very connected.

A huge part of the Providence’s function and identity is being more of a escape for Boston Folks seeking affordability or alternative nightlife. I know they used to be the ones controlling the mafia in Bosotn though- a reversal of roles.

I don’t want to say it’s irrelevant as an identity and has no unique features it does but it’s closer to Boston than a lot of MA. Things like Hot wieners and coffee milk and dels lemonade and Narragansett originate from there, but unless your kind of a city nerd you don’t know it’s strictly Rhode Island. I can find all of that in MA. And they adapt Maine style lobster rolls and New England style clam chowder as opposed to CT style lobster rolls and a Manhattan chowder.

Ironically a minute ago- literally a minute ago in Boston.com…. Former New Bedford man extradited to US on ‘romance scam’ charges
Chukwunonso “Douglas” Umegbo was arrested in London last year. Prosecutors say he used multiple aliases. https://www.facebook.com/6879409364/...ibextid=uc01c0

story is not covered at all on Projo.com https://www.providencejournal.com/

(Also coming out of the FBIs Boston divison fwiw. https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/f...rising-alleged)

Look at it this way in 5 years rail coming from downtown baoton will go through half of Rhode Island- with 4 stops, and go directly into Attleboro, Taunton, Brockton, New Bedford, Easton, and more. Most of which are technically the Providence MSA. … they won’t even be on the Providence line…

Mean while Providence can’t even run bus service to Taunton and New Bedford… let alone rail.
*I looked it up though….there is a bus that leaves the main bus station Fall River 6 times a day on weekdays that goes to Providence*

It’s all Boston satellites. That why the CSA is so big….

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-15-2023 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 04:38 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,965 times
Tough crowd to be compared to for Tacoma, but for those who've never been it really does feel like a "complete" smaller city. It has a zoo, waterfront including a legit port, historic districts, minor league baseball team, industrial/warehouse section, museum district, and even a Chinatown. It's missing an airport, that's about it.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:53 PM

824 posts, read 713,771 times
Kinda feel like out of all these options. Only Tacoma, Oakland and Long Beach are proper satellite cities. I see satellite cities as places that are distinct from the central city but grew based on their connection with it. So I don’t really see Providence as a satellite city because even if Boston wasn’t there, Providence would still be about or close to the same size as it is today. I think lowell is a perfect example of a satellite city in the Boston metro because all its mills were constructed based off its connection to Boston on the middlesex canal. And brickyards in Medford would transfer their material up the canal to build the mills.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:50 PM

Ironically Providence was founded by a man from Boston (Roger Williams) who only came to North America because Boston existed. This pattern repeats itself very often ever since.

Rhode Island may have never even been founded if he hadn’t come to Bsoton. Could have very likely just been an extension of Massachusetts given how small it is.

Indeed Leaders in Providence are still looking for better ways to connect to Boston more https://www.providencejournal.com/st...on/2323846007/

Providence and Lowell were both founded because of their location. It’s really not a different foundation. Lowell was very independent of Boston having been more of a leader in the industrial revolution when Boston was still more into maritime trade and a maritime economy…

That’s why Lowell looks so different than Boston. With all the mills served a different purpose. As did Lowell and Brockton- they were all totally independent of Boston at one point. Brockton was founded 240 years after Boston as “North Bridgewater” because it was in relation to the Bridgewater area…. No real ties to Boston - and ran a similar economy to Lynn which was founded much earlier. These places didn’t become “Boston” until much later though…

Things have changed

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-16-2023 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 07:53 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC is indeed out of town for Baltimoreans. Not part of the DMV
I had to tell my in-laws that. They're all from Georgia and wanted to plan a trip to DC. They figure I could be a tour guide of sorts.. I told them that DC is out of town to me too. I think it baffles people outside of the Bos-Wash corridor how large cities can be so close geographically, yet so distant in just about every other way. Here in NC is kinda similar with Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle is kinda one after the other.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:34 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I had to tell my in-laws that. They're all from Georgia and wanted to plan a trip to DC. They figure I could be a tour guide of sorts.. I told them that DC is out of town to me too. I think it baffles people outside of the Bos-Wash corridor how large cities can be so close geographically, yet so distant in just about every other way. Here in NC is kinda similar with Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle is kinda one after the other.
Completely agree. Being from the broadly defined "DMV", Baltimore and DC certainly don't feel at all like "satellite" cities in the same way Tacaoma-Seattle or St. Paul-Minneapolis do. Although, I think that's a loose term that's not clearly defined. For whatever reason (and I have no idea why), it seems like from the DC-perspective, they view Baltimore as being more intricately connected to DC. From the Baltimore perspective, they seem to view DC as a completely different city without much connection (i.e. they don't play up the connection as much).

Old 02-18-2023, 09:11 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Completely agree. Being from the broadly defined "DMV", Baltimore and DC certainly don't feel at all like "satellite" cities in the same way Tacaoma-Seattle or St. Paul-Minneapolis do. Although, I think that's a loose term that's not clearly defined. For whatever reason (and I have no idea why), it seems like from the DC-perspective, they view Baltimore as being more intricately connected to DC. From the Baltimore perspective, they seem to view DC as a completely different city without much connection (i.e. they don't play up the connection as much).
This 100% False. Idk where you all come up with this stuff.

DC is the primate city of it's own top 10 metropolis. Baltimore is the primate city of it's own top 20 metropolis. The two have their own spheres that intersect and overlap. Between their suburbs and satellite cities are often split between the two metros in which there's enough interaction to consider the DC-Baltimore area a multi-nodal region. No one in DC pushes for anything to be associated with any other city. This doesn't change proximity nor regional association, the city proper(s) are completely interdependent.

There are countless Baltimore Sun articles based on connecting DC-Baltimore better, your point could not be further from true.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-18-2023 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 09:26 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:

DC is the primate city of it's own top 10 metropolis. Baltimore is the primate city of it's own top 20 metropolis. The two have their own spheres that intersect and overlap. Between their suburbs and satellite cities are often split between the two metros in which there's enough interaction to consider the DC-Baltimore area a multi-nodal region. No one in DC pushes for anything to be associated with any other city. This doesn't change proximity nor regional association, the city proper(s) are completely interdependent.

There are countless Baltimore Sun articles based on connecting DC-Baltimore better, your point could not be further from true.
Bottom line for purposes of this thread:

No matter how well connected they are, or will be in the future, Baltimore isn't a "satellite city" of Washington.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Idk virtually every person I’ve talked to about this in Baltimore feels that way. But maybe that is to be expected for the smaller city.

Like no one I know in Baltimore knows DC well or roots for their teams. Accents way different. The white population in particular couldn’t be more different.mmm ever mind Baltimore was founded way before and unlike a Providence DC wasn’t founded by an ex-Baltimorean.

It was shocking to me how different these two cities we’re to be so close to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City