Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Seattle or San Francisco have a worse homeless problem?
San Francisco, CA 41 83.67%
Seattle, WA 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 17,129 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle, visit downtown occasionally, and spent a week in SF in June 2021. I'd say Seattle has more visible homeless, based on seeing no more than 5 homeless people and 1 tent in an entire week in SF. I don't know what or why people complain about SF so much, and I even visited the Mission and rode a bus through the edge of the Tenderloin. I guess there are other areas I didn't see, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 04:01 PM

26 posts, read 17,129 times
To add on with the situation in Seattle: tents have mostly been eliminated from the main parts in downtown in 2022. The main tourist areas in the central and north side of downtown are safe, lively and interesting. The same that I said above for SF is true now for Seattle. You could spend a week and not notice many homeless, if you stay in the those areas. However, as a local resident I have particular reasons to spend more time in the south sides of downtown, where you will definitely see the effects of extreme poverty on the streets: downtown south of Union, Pioneer Square, the ID, Sodo. Therefore I voted for Seattle.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:45 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
No, come to Seattle. A lot of us love tourists, including many of us who choose to live in touristy areas.

PS, the hotels are back to normal in the summer but still below normal in the winter due to the slow return of business travel so far.

That said, we just opened a second equally-sized convention center (the first highrise convention center in NA, stacking halls from deep underground to over 200' in the air), which will help add business travel as it returns.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:20 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
No, come to Seattle. A lot of us love tourists, including many of us who choose to live in touristy areas.

PS, the hotels are back to normal in the summer but still below normal in the winter due to the slow return of business travel so far.

That said, we just opened a second equally-sized convention center (the first highrise convention center in NA, stacking halls from deep underground to over 200' in the air), which will help add business travel as it returns.
Amazon return to office mandate in May will help too.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:20 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
San Francisco for sure. Seattle has a homeless problem for sure but it's a bit exaggerated IMO. SF is on a different level.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:25 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Both great cities. But my most recent trip to Seattle gave me the impression it was dirty and homeless were very aggressive too. Like one threw a water bottle of pee at a moving car. Lol.

San Francisco I have not been to in years. Cant say. I dont remember it being bad in 2012.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:09 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
I've never been to Seattle. It's on the top of my to see list. Hopefully late this year or next. I did go to Vancouver back in '19 for the first and only time. It's a beautiful city/area.

I was just in San Fran back in mid-late October. I even parked my luxury rental car right on the main street (the Embarcadero?) in front of the pier where we went to Alcatraz. I had read reviews that homeless break into cars and stuff but it was a sunny weekend afternoon day so I took my chances and no issues at all.

I must've missed homeless on this trip to SF. However in my first trip there back in '12 I do remember walking home to my hotel in Union Square after some bar hopping in nearby areas that were a bit sketchier. I had some cracked out homeless and few night walkers asking to play with my jewels lol.

Last edited by BigCity76; 02-20-2023 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 12:32 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
You may be looking at a vacation in the wrong way. Instead of focusing on how many homeless people you'll come across, focus on what you you really want to see and really want to do, and make your choice based on that. What's more important to you? Visiting Alcatraz or riding a cable car, or catching a Sonics game and trekking around Mt. Ranier? Decisions like that would make the choice for me, not how many homeless people I see on the street.

FWIW, both are pretty interesting cities, so you have a great choice to make.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:47 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Well, except the Sonics game! Maybe in five years.

By next year Seattle's central waterfront will be a key visitor spot. It's always been touristy but used to have a multi-level viaduct freeway. Now the freeway is gone and the old arterial is being shifted over about 50', leaving its old space for a much wider public space along the piers. A hillclimb to the Pike Place Market is also included, incorporated with a new pavilion for the Aquarium. Much of this is still a construction zone at the moment, though it's still a worthwhile walk.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:03 PM

120 posts, read 132,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You may be looking at a vacation in the wrong way. Instead of focusing on how many homeless people you'll come across, focus on what you you really want to see and really want to do, and make your choice based on that. What's more important to you? Visiting Alcatraz or riding a cable car, or catching a Sonics game and trekking around Mt. Ranier? Decisions like that would make the choice for me, not how many homeless people I see on the street.

FWIW, both are pretty interesting cities, so you have a great choice to make.
The Sonics are supersonic about moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City