Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Houston, TX in 2023
Phoenix, AZ 14 27.45%
Houston, TX 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 05:49 PM

126 posts, read 72,306 times

Advertisements

I'm used the humidity. I visited San Antonio in May-August, and I've been fine. They were from 2015-2021, in 2015 was August, 2017 was May, 2018 was July, etc... I didn't feel bothered by the humidity, but i guess each person is different. I've also spent 2 weeks in Italy and Greece in the humidity and was fine.

To each their own I guess.

I know I'm gonna love Houston. It's the people that matter and the drivers.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
It really just depends on what you want out of a city. Neither is better than the other but both have pros and cons. I’m from Phoenix and in my opinion Phoenix is one of the most beautiful major cities in the country and no other big city is like it. I miss the mountains, beautiful sunsets, and Sonoran style Mexican food. However the city itself is not very exciting and that’s where Houston outshines Phoenix. As mentioned before Houston is extremely diverse and there’s a lot more going on in the Houston area than Phoenix not to mention a stronger economy. Both cities however are very suburban and car dependent and very hot in the summer. Phoenix’s weather is a lot more consistent. The south central part of the country gets random weather that can really mess up your plans. Houston is closer to a beach (not a pretty beach but a body of water nonetheless). And Texans are just on another level altogether. People from Texas are PROUD to be from Texas. It’s a fun unique culture.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
I'm used the humidity. I visited San Antonio in May-August, and I've been fine. They were from 2015-2021, in 2015 was August, 2017 was May, 2018 was July, etc... I didn't feel bothered by the humidity, but i guess each person is different. I've also spent 2 weeks in Italy and Greece in the humidity and was fine.

San Antonio has different weather. It's hours from the coast.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:10 PM

151 posts, read 87,971 times
Don’t get me wrong because I can see why people might prefer Houston but Phoenix is extremely underrated on here. It’s a gorgeous city with some cool things to see.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:15 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:

“People that matter and the drivers”

Houston isn’t worth moving just for the friendliness. Its overrated I’m that aspect. It’s friendlier than say Miami or Boston. But I can’t imagine it being too friendlier than Phoenix. And I understand Phoenix has horrible drivers but Houston definitely isn’t a place to move to for good drivers (or anywhere in Texas for that matter).

Old 03-02-2023, 07:31 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
“People that matter and the drivers”

Houston isn’t worth moving just for the friendliness. Its overrated I’m that aspect. It’s friendlier than say Miami or Boston. But I can’t imagine it being too friendlier than Phoenix. And I understand Phoenix has horrible drivers but Houston definitely isn’t a place to move to for good drivers (or anywhere in Texas for that matter).
Phoenix is extremely transient and transient cities are not known for friendliness. I tend to think that Houston is noticeably more friendly than Phoenix.

I like both Phoenix and Tucson a lot. Great cities to visit and enjoy yourself. I don't know that I would live in either though but it's subjective. There are plenty of reasons one would pick Phoenix over Houston but I tend to find that Houston has more of what I prefer: diversity, wide variety of food, cultural institutions, etc. But if I were an outdoorsman, Phoenix would certainly be better.

Old 03-03-2023, 12:01 AM

63 posts, read 67,776 times
Phoenix feels much less vibrant post Covid. Things just feel dead and it hard to put a finger on why. There has been a lot of new construction, but shopping areas and restaurants seem quiet compared to a few years ago. Covid seems to have significantly impacted peoples’ behavior in the valley compared to say Las Vegas or Miami.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:45 AM

126 posts, read 72,306 times
I just want to start my life over again. So many horrible things happened to me in Phoenix and in Arizona in general. I haven't had good experiences out here. I'm hoping Houston would give me a better life and I'll have genuinely real friends instead of people who try to sell you something and invite you to a group about selling items. Also, I got stood up by a classmate for a school assignment in Phoenix. I had to tell the professor. Luckily I passed, but that did it for me. I decided then and there that it was time to look somewhere else for happiness.

Houston is perfect. The only drawback may be the weather. I do fear that my car would be submerged in water and that a hurricane will cause everybody to evacuate. However, hurricanes seem rare in Houston. They are more common in Florida.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc1998 View Post
Phoenix feels much less vibrant post Covid. Things just feel dead and it hard to put a finger on why. There has been a lot of new construction, but shopping areas and restaurants seem quiet compared to a few years ago. Covid seems to have significantly impacted peoples’ behavior in the valley compared to say Las Vegas or Miami.
What are you talking about? We just hosted the largest Super Bowl in history the same week as the Phoenix Open which also broke attendance records. Sky Harbor was the busiest airport on the planet the Monday after the Super Bowl. Now Spring Training is in full effect which is also expected to break records for all time attendance figures. There are 11 new high-rises under construction downtown and a bunch more that are topped out, finishing interior work, and will soon be full of new residents.

This is my own photo, for moderators.

Last edited by locolife; 03-03-2023 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2023, 07:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
I just want to start my life over again. So many horrible things happened to me in Phoenix and in Arizona in general. I haven't had good experiences out here. I'm hoping Houston would give me a better life and I'll have genuinely real friends instead of people who try to sell you something and invite you to a group about selling items. Also, I got stood up by a classmate for a school assignment in Phoenix. I had to tell the professor. Luckily I passed, but that did it for me. I decided then and there that it was time to look somewhere else for happiness.

Houston is perfect. The only drawback may be the weather. I do fear that my car would be submerged in water and that a hurricane will cause everybody to evacuate. However, hurricanes seem rare in Houston. They are more common in Florida.
Unfortunate to hear about your experience in Phoenix, I'm probably older than you and have lived in multiple cities at this point. I have to say making real friends is hard anywhere you go whether you stay in Phoenix of go to Houston, it's going to be a process and starting over is never as easy as it seems. It's also a bit of a trap to fall into the "change my surroundings, change my outcomes", things don't necessarily work that way. Hope your eventual decision works out for the best.

PHX at one time as well, for a job opportunity, and really struggled in my new city to meet new friends. After 4 years I finally did but when the opportunity came up I did head back to the valley as I had previously lived here 10-years and had established a strong social network here, I'm really happy to be back and don't plan on leaving again.

Last edited by locolife; 03-03-2023 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City