Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, AZ vs. Houston, TX in 2023
Phoenix, AZ 14 27.45%
Houston, TX 37 72.55%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 08:03 AM

327 posts, read 222,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
I'm going to test the waters in Houston from August to December. If I like it, I'm moving. So I'm not exactly moving, but taking a 5 month vacation. I can already tell that I'm gonna like Houston much better. And the fact that few people voted for Phoenix goes to show how it's a terrible city to live in. I even thought Houston was less stressful because the people were much nicer. I even read online that Los Angeles is less stressful than Scottsdale, which does represent all people in Phoenix too because LA was friendlier.
Overall, people in Southern California are friendlier, politer and more cheerful than people in Arizona (and Nevada). In my experience, people in Arizona neither greet nor make eye contact with passersby/strangers. Also, people in Arizona seldom chat with other shoppers in store checkout lines. In my perspective, this antisocial behavior is largely due to the fact that most people who live in Arizona are transplants from other U.S. states and, due to "six degrees of separation," are somewhat pretentious and rather uninterested in other people.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:27 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Overall, people in Southern California are friendlier, politer and more cheerful than people in Arizona (and Nevada). In my experience, people in Arizona neither greet nor make eye contact with passersby/strangers. Also, people in Arizona seldom chat with other shoppers in store checkout lines. In my perspective, this antisocial behavior is largely due to the fact that most people who live in Arizona are transplants from other U.S. states and, due to "six degrees of separation," are somewhat pretentious and rather uninterested in other people.
I was just in Tucson recently and I didn't find that there. I found the people in Tucson to be very friendly and welcoming.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
This is much more my experience in the Northeast than Phoenix people tend to be very outgoing because they're from other places and want to get to know folks in their new home city/state.

I've struck up conversations nearly everywhere ranging from coffee shops, light rail, sports games, and nearly every time I'm out hiking/biking on the local trails, which is a big part of life in this area of the world.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:45 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
This is much more my experience in the Northeast than Phoenix people tend to be very outgoing because they're from other places and want to get to know folks in their new home city/state.

I've struck up conversations nearly everywhere ranging from coffee shops, light rail, sports games, and nearly every time I'm out hiking/biking on the local trails, which is a big part of life in this area of the world.
Yeah, I've never thought of Phoenix as an unfriendly place. I wouldn't call it super outgoing but I've never experienced any rudeness there. The opposite actually, anyone I tried to interact with was pretty friendly. I do think Houston is more friendly in my experience but Phoenix is not like Miami or Boston which are very unfriendly in my experience.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:47 AM

126 posts, read 72,229 times
Quote:
I agree, I visited LA in early January, and the people were much nicer and friendlier than in Phoenix. The only exception may have been downtown, but it was more pleasant than Phoenix. Customer service was great. Nobody ignored you if there were not any menu items and the service was better. I considered Southern California, but it is way too expensive and many people online and friends who live in the LA and OC area advised me against California and they all want to leave too.

I considered Las Vegas, but done my research to learn it's just another Phoenix or maybe worse. If I want friendly people, I must move to Houston, as it is one of the more friendlier cities I have visited.

Arizona is a rude state. People are mean, cold, hostile, and just seem like they hate their lives for some reason. Don't even get me started on the douchebag culture Arizona has. Texas doesn't have douchebag culture, at least not Houston.

5 more months left. I'm leaving in August to test the waters in Houston. Unfortunately I'll have to come back in November to get the rest of my belongings. But it won't be a long stay. I'll already have a lease signed and a job lined up for me in the Houston area. I have to establish roots in that area too, as I do not have any. It'll be easy because people are nicer and more open than in Phoenix. It was hard to impossible to establish roots in Phoenix.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I agree, I visited LA in early January, and the people were much nicer and friendlier than in Phoenix. The only exception may have been downtown, but it was more pleasant than Phoenix. Customer service was great. Nobody ignored you if there were not any menu items and the service was better. I considered Southern California, but it is way too expensive and many people online and friends who live in the LA and OC area advised me against California and they all want to leave too.

I considered Las Vegas, but done my research to learn it's just another Phoenix or maybe worse. If I want friendly people, I must move to Houston, as it is one of the more friendlier cities I have visited.

Arizona is a rude state. People are mean, cold, hostile, and just seem like they hate their lives for some reason. Don't even get me started on the douchebag culture Arizona has. Texas doesn't have douchebag culture, at least not Houston.

5 more months left. I'm leaving in August to test the waters in Houston. Unfortunately I'll have to come back in November to get the rest of my belongings. But it won't be a long stay. I'll already have a lease signed and a job lined up for me in the Houston area. I have to establish roots in that area too, as I do not have any. It'll be easy because people are nicer and more open than in Phoenix. It was hard to impossible to establish roots in Phoenix.
Oh boy... I see how this is oriented now. If you don't think Texas has a douche-bag factor you've got a lot to learn. But it's clear you're not actually trying to compare anything realistically and just want additional Phoenix bashing to justify that your unrealistic expectations of Houston are somehow justified.

Best of luck Janortish.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Oh boy... I see how this is oriented now. If you don't think Texas has a douche-bag factor you've got a lot to learn. But it's clear you're not actually trying to compare anything realistically and just want additional Phoenix bashing to justify that your unrealistic expectations of Houston are somehow justified.

Best of luck Janortish.
I need to spend time in Houston to see it myself. My brother moved to Dallas and he test ran it from December to now. He is only coming back to Arizona (Tucson) for 2 nights to get his belongings and then driving one way back to DFW. He said the people in Texas are much nicer and friendlier than in Arizona. He made friends within a week of moving to Dallas and only had one friend in Tucson after living there for 5 years. He too had horrific experiences, similar to what I had.

So I'm gonna do the same. Unfortunately I'm contracted now, but that ends in 5 months. Then I can leave and do a test run.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I need to spend time in Houston to see it myself. My brother moved to Dallas and he test ran it from December to now. He is only coming back to Arizona (Tucson) for 2 nights to get his belongings and then driving one way back to DFW. He said the people in Texas are much nicer and friendlier than in Arizona. He made friends within a week of moving to Dallas and only had one friend in Tucson after living there for 5 years. He too had horrific experiences, similar to what I had.

So I'm gonna do the same. Unfortunately I'm contracted now, but that ends in 5 months. Then I can leave and do a test run.

You live in Tucson now as well? Houston and Dallas are really different by the way.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
You live in Tucson now as well? Houston and Dallas are really different by the way.
I used to live in Tucson and it was much worse than Phoenix. My brother agrees too. I just need a fresh start overall, one I can't get in Phoenix. I need a new state and city.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:53 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
For me, Houston is just so much more diverse and international. The culinary and cultural scenes are a lot more wide reaching as well. That said, if I was a big outdoors person or preferred a dry climate, Id certainly prefer Phoenix.

Among other reasons (including no state income tax), the bolded ^^^^^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City