Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 04:45 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Sounds like those people need to stay where they are and stop moving to Atlanta, lowering its credit score. Although, I think this is comical considering there are several major cities with lower average credit scores.

https://wallethub.com/edu/credit-score-by-city/86509
I am pretty sure the natives already had low credit scores to begin with. A lot of the successful black folks down in Atlanta aren't actually from there.

Same goes for crime. ATL residents like to blame the newcomers but in reality virtually all the crime is local ATL resident's vs local ATL residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 04:46 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerscorpion View Post
In my experience Nassau county tends to be black immigrant wealth and Suffolk tends to be more Black American wealth, but it does overlap a bit, but the NYC region as a whole trends more towards wealthy black immigrants
You are 100% right.

Old 03-10-2023, 05:01 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Not sure what you're talking about but the point that was making is that cost of living expenses are only compared to mainly NY and Cali.

When Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte are boasted about their LOW COL they are often comparing it to NYC and Cali. But to someone that's from Louisville, Lexington, Detroit, Cincinatti etc none of those cities are actually viewed as LOW COL.

My friend from Kentucky strongly believes that Atlanta is VERY expensive.
so its not a myth.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I am pretty sure the natives already had low credit scores to begin with. A lot of the successful black folks down in Atlanta aren't actually from there.

Same goes for crime. ATL residents like to blame the newcomers but in reality virtually all the crime is local ATL resident's vs local ATL residents.
To be honest with you, Black Americans have the lowest credit scores to begin with, regardless of location. Of course, many of the successful folks from Atlanta aren't from there, it grew 800,000 last decade and by more than a million from 2000-2010. People move to Atlanta because the money goes much further than it goes in other cities...For instance Brooklynjo, several people from Brooklyn have moved there and most of them live in large apartments or a decent subdivision, which is an upgrade from the tight, uncomfortable living in NYC...Also, there's a standard credit system called FICO that generates standards when lending money, so a bank wouldn't approve someone for a loan if they didn't meet the lending criteria.

Regarding crime, again that's a thing that American Blacks need to work on nationwide. The newcomers do contribute to crime as the locals. As someone who currently lives in Metro DC near Waldorf, I'd be the first to tell you that the per capita myth is vastly overrated. Yes it is bragging rights, but in reality, that money doesn't go far up here. Lastly, if you notice, it's also other blacks trying to put down places like Atlanta but reality doesn't match your comments. When I lived in metro Atlanta, I met so many people from north of VA and most move down there to live more comfortably.

By the way, I'm black for the record.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:27 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Canton Center stop too.... unfortunately its $16 round trip to Back Bay or South Station and it takes 30 minutes.
Thats big coin for Canton. Wtf...?

But then again I pay $32 round trip from Central NJ to Midtown when I go in

Old 03-10-2023, 06:51 PM

People move to Atlanta to be around black owned this and that, warmer weather, and for a larger newer house. That’s mainly what it is.

Secondarily it’s got a high concentration of HBCUs.

Tertiarily, it’s Black Hollywood so if you don’t really have a formal education it’s a good place to go try and make it in entertainment and Black media.

Lastly, there is a lot of ‘mischief’ in general to get into for the criminal element because it’s a crossroad of all things black including the criminal underworld. So I think it’s not true to say that all the crime comes from locals…

I do stand by that there’s a lot of broke n frontin but thats kind of the freedom/appeal/beauty/magic. I think I’m good on Atlanta- more a New York guy, but I understand the appeal.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think most would say it's "cheap" for a large metro area. Of course, most people understand you can find places much cheaper in the South, Southwest and Midwest, particularly among mid-sized to small-ish metro areas. But if you're living in NYC or DC already, chances are you're looking to relocate to another metro with a robust job market, and Atlanta is relatively affordable among that bunch. Though stories abound about finance industry workers who moved to Tennessee or wherever during the pandemic to take full advantage of high COL area wages.
That's especially true if their jobs are transferring or they work remotely. Growth in wages hasn't sufficiently kept up with increases in COL in the Atlanta area compared to peer metros like Houston, DFW, DC, Seattle, etc. I haven't checked those numbers lately but that's how things have shaken out over the past decade or so.

Edit: that's still the case and it's exacerbated by lagging housing supply: https://www.georgiapolicy.org/news/a...ousing-supply/

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-10-2023 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
People move to Atlanta to be around black owned this and that, warmer weather, and for a larger newer house. That’s mainly what it is.

Secondarily it’s got a high concentration of HBCUs.

Tertiarily, it’s Black Hollywood so if you don’t really have a formal education it’s a good place to go try and make it in entertainment and Black media.

Lastly, there is a lot of ‘mischief’ in general to get into for the criminal element because it’s a crossroad of all things black including the criminal underworld. So I think it’s not true to say that all the crime comes from locals…

I do stand by that there’s a lot of broke n frontin but thats kind of the freedom/appeal/beauty/magic. I think I’m good on Atlanta- more a New York guy, but I understand the appeal.
Yeah that's why I argue that Atlanta truly qualifies as a Black mecca: it attracts Black folks of every stripe.

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine moved to the Atlanta area about a year or so ago after living in Canbridge for the previous 8 years or so (we met when we both lived in the Charlotte area which feels like forever ago now). He's a medical professional and obtained a doctorate in his specific field while living up there, so I know he's doing well now. He would complain to me sometimes about the cost of housing in Cambridge and I'd be like "Sucks to be you dude" lol.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah that's why I argue that Atlanta truly qualifies as a Black mecca: it attracts Black folks of every stripe.

Interestingly enough, a friend of mine moved to the Atlanta area about a year or so ago after living in Canbridge for the previous 8 years or so (we met when we both lived in the Charlotte area which feels like forever ago now). He's a medical professional and obtained a doctorate in his specific field while living up there, so I know he's doing well now. He would complain to me sometimes about the cost of housing in Cambridge and I'd be like "Sucks to be you dude" lol.
Cambridge is a serious serious coin... Lovely city, I like the culture. But there is literally nothing remotely affordable that isn't CHA housing.

My father had the chance to buy a condo in this building in Cambridge 2004 for 260k. Its 1.2M now.

It was 485k in 09. Sadly he chose a much more expensive house in Milton MA that we lost during the recession smh. Still rubs me to this day.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Cambridge is a serious serious coin... Lovely city, I like the culture. But there is literally nothing remotely affordable that isn't CHA housing.

My father had the chance to buy a condo in this building in Cambridge 2004 for 260k. Its 1.2M now.

It was 485k in 09. Sadly he chose a much more expensive house in Milton MA that we lost during the recession smh. Still rubs me to this day.
Oh man....dad would've been sitting pretty right now.

But hey, such is life. I'm still kicking myself for not scooping up a bunch of BOA and Wachovia stock in late '07/early '08 when shares had plummeted to pennies on the dollar. There is lots of money to be made in anticipating an economic downturn and being prepared to swoop in, collect devalued spoils, and wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City