Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
Philadelphia 84 80.00%
Phoenix 21 20.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 11:45 AM

259 posts, read 161,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
I mean ofcourse the eastern posters will support their region/cities, is this of any surprise?
IMO these sunbelt-modern new growth cities have better futures in any metric besides the love of ppsm density from the urban academia. Climate/water issues are being over rated for the legacy city perceived superiority as technology advances and humans fabricate new methods to combat issues.
The only actual tangible advantage I see from Philadelphia would be the fact that it's situated by an ocean. Everything else is opinion but the statistical fact being the population growth is much healthier in Phoenix and sunbelt/western regions of the US.
Warm weather means alot.

Philly is a great city with lots of history and legacy but let's not get too carried away with the boosterism and saying it's not even close doesn't help the case. Lol
I get what you're trying to say here, and I'm not from the Northeast or west. So no dog in this fight, but even this fact you mention is still an opinion. I wouldn't call the population growth Phoenix is going through healthier. Absurd growth that some of these sunbelt cities are going through are coming at the cost of lack of infrastructure improvement. And I get the appeal of warm weather, but Phoenix's climate is on another level from other sunbelt cities and IMO one of the most brutal in the US.

Last edited by bartonro; 03-18-2023 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:59 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
How about in the category of 'niceness'?

These are the two places I've been to where I encountered subpar customer service experiences on a fairly regular basis. The folks at the Wawa stores in Philly can be downright rude at times.

As for Phoenix there had been multiple threads created recently in the Houston forum about people wanting to leave Phoenix because the people there were not nice to them. I also ran into indifferent or rude hotel staff there.

I wouldn't say these necessarily translate to rude or aloof population in general. I certainly made friends when I lived in Philly and would probably do so at Phoenix.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:11 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How about in the category of 'niceness'?

These are the two places I've been to where I encountered subpar customer service experiences on a fairly regular basis. The folks at the Wawa stores in Philly can be downright rude at times.

As for Phoenix there had been multiple threads created recently in the Houston forum about people wanting to leave Phoenix because the people there were not nice to them. I also ran into indifferent or rude hotel staff there.

I wouldn't say these necessarily translate to rude or aloof population in general. I certainly made friends when I lived in Philly and would probably do so at Phoenix.
Multiple threads from the same person to be fair

Old 03-18-2023, 01:23 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Customer service is garbage in the vast majority of places, especially these days with labor shortages, so I find that to be a very moot point. It's gone downhill everywhere.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:31 PM

376 posts, read 210,806 times
^^^ yeah that's true. Nobody wants to deal with people or that 1/100th person that's a sociopath these days. The anti-establishment movement has much to do with the general "revolt" of a percieved lifetime of servitude.
Either that or our brains are wired to remember that 1 negative experience vs the 100s of decent ones.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:36 PM

376 posts, read 210,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I get what you're trying to say here, and I'm not from the Northeast or west. So no dog in this fight, but even this fact you mention is still an opinion. I wouldn't call the population growth Phoenix is going through healthier. Absurd growth that some of these sunbelt cities are going through are coming at the cost of lack of infrastructure improvement. And I get the appeal of warm weather, but Phoenix's climate is on another level from other sunbelt cities and IMO one of the most brutal in the US.

A car is fine with the lack of TOD stuff in these sprawling sun belt cities. The healthy or not population growth is still an opinion too. The only hard facts we have are statistics.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:49 PM

259 posts, read 161,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
A car is fine with the lack of TOD stuff in these sprawling sun belt cities. The healthy or not population growth is still an opinion too. The only hard facts we have are statistics.
To a degree, yes. But, if a city is experiencing explosive growth and can't keep up on infrastructure, I wouldn't call it healthy. A number of sunbelt cities come to mind here, including Phoenix.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:47 PM

220 posts, read 173,644 times
Phoenix is definitely more of a mellow city compared to Philadelphia. Philadelphia has had extensive episodes of civil unrest, particularly race related, homelessness, drug addiction and lawlessness. NO brotherly love there. As opposed to Phoenix, where its major social tension is traffic-related stress and anger. Phoenix is by far a superior city.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:34 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Customer service is garbage in the vast majority of places, especially these days with labor shortages, so I find that to be a very moot point. It's gone downhill everywhere.
Well my experiences were from more than five years ago so not covid related. Philly was also known as the 'City of Brotherly Shove' for a while so that probably came from somewhere. I personally find the people in Philly to be fairly typical of the Northeast in terms of 'niceness'.

I've never lived in Phoenix so can't say how friendly the people are on average. My guess would be similar to LA or Vegas.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:34 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Well my experiences were from more than five years ago so not covid related. Philly was also known as the 'City of Brotherly Shove' for a while so that probably came from somewhere. I personally find the people in Philly to be fairly typical of the Northeast in terms of 'niceness'.

I've never lived in Phoenix so can't say how friendly the people are on average. My guess would be similar to LA or Vegas.
The Northeast generally is very difficult to generalize in terms of attitudes; you could literally come across the most surly, "won't give you the time of day" person you can imagine, or the most genuine, "shirt-off-their-back" type you would encounter anywhere. But at least you're getting authenticity. "Kind but not nice" is a very common descriptor.

My experience out West is that non-genuine or feigned friendliness is MUCH more common, which can be off-putting in a very different way. It's "nice but not kind."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City