Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the more urban streetscape?
Montreal 29 47.54%
Philadelphia 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 02:54 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
But where two separate transit agencies are in play (actually three if counting NJ Transit light rail line), if one were to hypothetically plan a trip on transit from Center City to Bordentown, NJ and transferring from a SEPTA line to PATCO, then transferring in Camden to the light rail, would the passenger being paying three different fares or are the transfers versatile between the transit agencies? AFAIK fares will be seamless and transferable between the REM when service starts and the STM Metro lines in Montreal.
Not entirely sure regarding NJ Transit (my guess is their fare system is mutually exclusive from SEPTA's and PATCO's), but there is a fare card that accommodates transfers between SEPTA and PATCO: PATCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 02:54 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Fascinating. I spent a few days in Montreal last summer and came away with the complete opposite impression. Philadelphia is built much more compactly and it's inner city feels larger imo. Montreal reminded me of the Canadian version of Philadelphia. river cities generally setup in a similar fasion with the old cities/downtown/universities.
I don't find the disparities between the two to be that large on the ground. I think Philly's skyline seems more grand and larger by appearance. But the rowhouse grid neighborhoods seem comparable at the core. I think Philly's rowhouse corridors may be built out a bit further.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I don't find the disparities between the two to be that large on the ground. I think Philly's skyline seems more grand and larger by appearance. But the rowhouse grid neighborhoods seem comparable at the core. I think Philly's rowhouse corridors may be built out a bit further.

I didn't mean to suggest they weren't comparable. They absolutely are. The only way to really tell Philly's metro is 33% larger is the airport and trophy towers are bigger lol. At street level, they definitely feel in a similar tier. But I will say this: Philadelphia had a million more people than Montreal before the advent of the car. I think in the grand scheme of built urban environments, that does make a difference.

Old 03-17-2023, 03:49 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I But I will say this: Philadelphia had a million more people than Montreal before the advent of the car. I think in the grand scheme of built urban environments, that does make a difference.
Wow, very interesting. Wouldn't have guessed that the historical population difference is anywhere close to that. That would definitely seem to explain the difference in roadway layouts.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:54 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Wow, very interesting. Wouldn't have guessed that the historical population difference is anywhere close to that. That would definitely seem to explain the difference in roadway layouts.
This is what I was most surprised by in making this thread. I had assumed that Montreal was an old big city and wasn't really the case.

If it were an American city though, it would still easily qualify as a first generation legacy major city (more populous than Detroit or Pittsburgh in 1900 census).

Old 03-18-2023, 04:39 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is what I was most surprised by in making this thread. I had assumed that Montreal was an old big city and wasn't really the case.

If it were an American city though, it would still easily qualify as a first generation legacy major city (more populous than Detroit or Pittsburgh in 1900 census).
The old city neighborhoods are contained between Downtown/Parc Mont Royal and to the west of Ave Papineau and south of Ave Jean Talon. One of the most vibrant commercial corridors is along St Laurent Blvd between Little Italy and the Old Port through Mile End & Le Plateau. It's about two miles long. Historically the French lived east of downtown and neighborhoods were mostly working class and the English lived west of downtown which is more affluent. To the north and west of Mont Royal the neighborhoods of Outremont, Notre Dame de Grace, Verdun, & Atwater are peppered with early 20th century rowhomes. Beyond these sections the city is mostly post WWII construction.

The oldest part of the city is the Old Port and it's very touristy. This is where many American tourists can end up and say "OMG Montreal feels like Europe".

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5042...!7i8704!8i4352

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5066...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5098...7i16384!8i8192

But Montreal is also famous for having mid century brutalist architecture and it has it in spades! This was a heyday for the city when it was Canada's chief city and it hosted Expo 67, the 76 Olympics, when the Metro system was constructed, and just before the Parti Quebecois separatist movement got legs in the 80's. This video brilliantly paints a good picture of the mark that brutalism left on the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26rPvuXLIO4

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-18-2023 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City