Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 01:00 PM

82 posts, read 50,980 times

Advertisements

I’m biased but I think NYC has the best suburbs. It has beautiful suburbs branching out for miles and miles in every direction, to the point that each suburb is its own mini-region.

To the North is Westchester. There are some beautiful parts of Westchester: on the Long Island sound with towns like Rye, on the Hudson River with towns like Dobbs Ferry and prestigious towns in between like Scarsdale. Also, there are parts of Rockland county on the cliffs of the Hudson around Nyack and Piermont that are breathtaking.

Further north, the Hudson Valley is absolutely stunning. In my opinion, everyone should drive Rt. 9W between Stony Point and Newburgh at least once, trust me you won’t regret it.

To the East there’s Long Island, with its beautiful North Shore and the Hamptons, as well as the countless walkable downtowns of its small towns along the LIRR.

To the Northeast, there’s Connecticut, with prestigious areas like Greenwich mixed with cosmopolitan urban centers like Stamford, and a constant string of development along the coast, all the way out to New Haven.

To the South, there’s Central Jersey & the Jersey Shore. Too many beautiful areas in this region but towns like Princeton, Red Bank, and the numerous quaint shore towns along the coast stand out the most. Also notable that some of these parts are within an hour of Philly.

Then, to the West, there is North Jersey, which has a nearly endless supply of high-quality, beautiful suburban towns with easy access to NYC in addition to some of the most urban “suburbs” in the US, with Hudson County towns like Hoboken.

Further West, the Delaware Water Gap at the NJ-PA border and the Poconos in PA are other breathtaking areas worth a visit.

It’s a mega region, and each subregion has its aspects that make it unique, but no matter where you are in the region, you’re not far from nature as well as the largest city in the country. Not to mention, the food, diversity, infrastructure and the countless other benefits of living in the region. I think you’d be hard pressed to find another city in the world with the amount of variation in its suburbs the way New York does. Only drawback is the cost of living.

Last edited by GoYanksGiantsNets; 03-19-2023 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 02:03 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
I’m biased but I think NYC has the best suburbs. It has beautiful suburbs branching out for miles and miles in every direction, to the point that each suburb is its own mini-region.

[...]

I agree with this entire post. My favorite place to go to during the summer months (within this country) is the NYC suburbs. The multiple, easy, frequent transit connections to Manhattan add to the flare.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:51 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times
I picked half the options, Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC, and Philly. I like strong and interesting suburban downtowns (ideally with rapid transit/commuter rail) and there are a lot of those in these metros.

Was never the biggest fan of metro DC, the current winning choice. NOVA is so sprawly --- even in areas not far from the DC border, like McLean and North Arlington --- that the Silver and Orange Line stations out there aren't that useful for most people. And the suburbs I saw in Maryland, besides a few like Wheaton, Bethesda, and Silver Spring, mostly had nonexistent downtowns or just like one block along a highway that temporarily narrows. (The endless red brick architecture, while some of it is nice, also gets old IMO)

Old 03-19-2023, 02:56 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
All of those options have pretty solid offerings.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
I’m biased but I think NYC has the best suburbs.
Saying that is a bit redundant with your username.

My issue with the NYC suburbs (as mentioned in my previous post) is how far they are from the city. On that note, IDK about calling the Hamptons a suburb? That’s like saying Santa Barbara is a suburb of Los Angeles. They’re both like 100 miles away.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Saying that is a bit redundant with your username.

My issue with the NYC suburbs (as mentioned in my previous post) is how far they are from the city. On that note, IDK about calling the Hamptons a suburb? That’s like saying Santa Barbara is a suburb of Los Angeles. They’re both like 100 miles away.
They're not all far.
It takes me 45 minutes by slow commuter train to get from countryside townships in NJ to Manhattan.
Similarly, it's under 30 miles from Penn Station to Tarrytown/TPZ (or whatever it's called now) bridge, which leads directly to all sorts of gorgeous hillside suburbs.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:20 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
They're not all far.
It takes me 45 minutes by slow commuter train to get from countryside townships in NJ to Manhattan.
Similarly, it's under 30 miles from Penn Station to Tarrytown/TPZ (or whatever it's called now) bridge, which leads directly to all sorts of gorgeous hillside suburbs.
Are you sure you want to stick with that time? That’s my wife’s stop and it’s not under 30 minutes, lol. Try doubling it.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Are you sure you want to stick with that time? That’s my wife’s stop and it’s not under 30 minutes, lol. Try doubling it.
Reread what I wrote.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:25 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,915,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Suburbs. Pure Americana.

Each region has its own flavor of suburbia. Bucolic, railroad suburbs, wide scale sub-developments, lake communities.

Which of these large metros pack the biggest punch?
Do Cambridge and Brookline count as Boston suburbs for this one? Or just outside of 128?

Old 03-19-2023, 04:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,771,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I picked half the options, Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC, and Philly. I like strong and interesting suburban downtowns (ideally with rapid transit/commuter rail) and there are a lot of those in these metros.

Was never the biggest fan of metro DC, the current winning choice. NOVA is so sprawly --- even in areas not far from the DC border, like McLean and North Arlington --- that the Silver and Orange Line stations out there aren't that useful for most people. And the suburbs I saw in Maryland, besides a few like Wheaton, Bethesda, and Silver Spring, mostly had nonexistent downtowns or just like one block along a highway that temporarily narrows. (The endless red brick architecture, while some of it is nice, also gets old IMO)
Completely agree about the DC suburbs (I grew up there, although technically more a Baltimore suburb). The NOVA suburbs are better maintained, and safer, better schools, and overall cleaner and nicer; but they are very sprawling. They have in the western part also embraced more greenery and wineries and such.

The MD side are not overall nice. Montgomery County suburbs are rather tacky. Silver Spring, Wheaton, and parts of Rockville are crowded, dirty, and filled with outdated and dirty strip malls, office parks, and garden style apartments. Yuck! They just have an odd and unnatural feel to them. PG County is its own mess. Overall, I don’t understand how anyone who has actually spent time there can say that DC has the nicest suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City