Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Summers more tolerable: Phoenix, AZ vs. Houston, TX
Phoenix, AZ 37 57.81%
Houston, TX 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 02:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,036 times

Advertisements

I’ll take Phoenix. With the low humidity it’s actually nice in the shade and you can always travel a short distance to the higher elevations for relief from the summer heat. There’s also pools everywhere so you can easily cool off. Unless you’re just spending considerable amount of time outdoors you honestly won’t know it’s 110 outside. There’s literally air conditioning everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 02:32 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
If you are only going to be outside for short periods of time...

I prefer Phoenix. Although when you are actually out in the sun it isn't any better than Houston... you don't "sweat" (you actually do but the water evaporates) so when you go inside you are fine. In Houston, even the short trip from the car to the house can make you soggy and uncomfortable.

The advantage in Houston is there is more available shade and cloud cover is more frequent so you get some relief from the sun albeit being soggy while doing it. In Phoenix, the sun beats the tar out of you if you can't find shade.

Usually which ever place you are in, you'll think the other place "can't be this bad"...LOL.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
How much does it cool down in Phoenix in the evening?

Old 03-19-2023, 03:58 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
I would have a dehumidifier in my home in Houston. I think in Houston, you can also escape the heat by going to the beach in Galveston and swimming as well. But yeah, all of Texas is humid in the summer, at least in east Texas. And in Phoenix, it's never fun having to drive on the 17 in the summer because it's backed up and everybody wants to go up north, unless it's like 2 AM, then it's normal.
Quote:
Doesn't Houston have cool breezes in the summer with winds from the gulf? I'd think Houston would be more bearable, as Phoenix has hot breezes with no relief, except maybe a monsoon.
The Gulf of Mexico is like a giant bathtub in the summer - perfect for tropical weather systems. While the temperatures may be a little lower right along the coast, there is not much relief from the sweltering heat around Houston within a radius of a few hundred miles or more. Not saying Phoenix's summers are delightful either but there are a lot more micro-climates in the topographically rugged West.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
In the summers it doesn’t. There are nights where it doesn’t get below 90.

I think if Phoenix had some relief at night, it would be a lot more tolerable.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
It doesn’t. I’ve seen 101 at 3 am before, though that was an extraordinary heatwave and I was in the core areas of the city.

The thing is is that 90s or even low triple digits AT NIGHT is actually nice. It’s the sun that makes it suck. The sun burns my skin to a cherry within 15 minutes next thing I know I’m not only overheating but it’s getting even worse because I’m getting sunburnt at the same time. The air temp is 100s sure but that parking lot is gonna be closer to 180 and that’s what your feet are feeling. That flip flop seemingly sticking to the asphalt ever so slightly…

More people would likely die in Phoenix’s summer than Houston’s. And many do, or close to, every year. Dumb folk who think they can hike Camelback on one or two bottles of water because they can hike mountains in Switzerland are cute. It’s like yeah you can swim but… ever in a hurricane? Heatwaves are still considered a natural disaster even if they aren’t as dramatic as a tornado or earthquake and Phoenix gets a lot of them.

Houston’s summers while wildly uncomfortable are a lot less fatal. Houston you’re more likely to die from a raccoon than the summer temps. Phoenix requires you to not fall victim to Darwinism but if you know how to do that it can be an easier time. There are many ways to handle Phoenix’s weather to make it easier but it requires some… unpopular choices. Like a lot of what Middle Eastern people wear is actually more functional than traditional western clothes and if people who lived here adopted that fashion over what people wear in Boston than it would be an easier time.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:46 PM

126 posts, read 72,072 times
Ok, so Houston is definitely more tolerable with weather.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:56 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It doesn’t. I’ve seen 101 at 3 am before, though that was an extraordinary heatwave and I was in the core areas of the city.

The thing is is that 90s or even low triple digits AT NIGHT is actually nice. It’s the sun that makes it suck. The sun burns my skin to a cherry within 15 minutes next thing I know I’m not only overheating but it’s getting even worse because I’m getting sunburnt at the same time. The air temp is 100s sure but that parking lot is gonna be closer to 180 and that’s what your feet are feeling. That flip flop seemingly sticking to the asphalt ever so slightly…

More people would likely die in Phoenix’s summer than Houston’s. And many do, or close to, every year. Dumb folk who think they can hike Camelback on one or two bottles of water because they can hike mountains in Switzerland are cute. It’s like yeah you can swim but… ever in a hurricane? Heatwaves are still considered a natural disaster even if they aren’t as dramatic as a tornado or earthquake and Phoenix gets a lot of them.

Houston’s summers while wildly uncomfortable are a lot less fatal. Houston you’re more likely to die from a raccoon than the summer temps. Phoenix requires you to not fall victim to Darwinism but if you know how to do that it can be an easier time. There are many ways to handle Phoenix’s weather to make it easier but it requires some… unpopular choices. Like a lot of what Middle Eastern people wear is actually more functional than traditional western clothes and if people who lived here adopted that fashion over what people wear in Boston than it would be an easier time.
This is how I feel as well. Houston Summers are a bit more instantly uncomfortable (other than certain days when Phoenix hits the 120s), but Phoenix dry heat can trigger headaches if you forget to hydrate well that day

Disclaimer: I haven’t spent a lot of time in Phoenix, but I have in other desert areas, that’s what I was basing off of

Old 03-19-2023, 06:02 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Ok, so Houston is definitely more tolerable with weather.
The poll is tied

Old 03-19-2023, 06:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is how I feel as well. Houston Summers are a bit more instantly uncomfortable (other than certain days when Phoenix hits the 120s), but Phoenix dry heat can trigger headaches if you forget to hydrate well that day

Disclaimer: I haven’t spent a lot of time in Phoenix, but I have in other desert areas, that’s what I was basing off of
Thank goodness it hasn't hit 120 since 1995.

Only 3 times in recorded history has Phoenix hit 120 or higher dating back to 1895:

1. June 26, 1990 - 122
2. July 28, 1995 - 121
3. June 25, 1990 - 120

https://www.weather.gov/psr/ExtremeTemps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City