Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Summers more tolerable: Phoenix, AZ vs. Houston, TX
Phoenix, AZ 37 57.81%
Houston, TX 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 05:12 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
OP has asked about every thing from rude people to tolerable summers to bad drivers.

It’s about time to take a dang trip once and for all and judge in person for conclusion. All questions will be answered that way.
And he’s trying to push the agenda and commentary towards one direction. I’ll say this, I didn’t know Phoenix was known for having rude people
Or bad drivers.

Poll is tied btw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 09:38 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
And he’s trying to push the agenda and commentary towards one direction. I’ll say this, I didn’t know Phoenix was known for having rude people
Or bad drivers.

Poll is tied btw
Texans are just as bad as Zonies for driving behavior. However Texas has the problem of being Texas and just having so much more people. The I-10 in Houston is a death trap all the way from Katy to wherever it ends on the east side. Can’t speak much to the other freeways in Houston but that was enough of an experience. Though at that point I may have just been extra fatigued because I had spent the whole day driving in from West Texas. I-10 was just constant survival mode in Houston. To be fair though as someone who has been on every inch of the I-10 the Houston stretch is not the worst of it. The worst of it is western Louisiana before Baton Rouge. Louisiana has the worst road quality out of all the states I’ve personally been to.

Phoenicians can be insular although they are better than most of the US. It’s just that Phoenix’s transient behavior where everyone leaves in 5 years or less can make things difficult for locals to want to branch out since it’s difficult to rely on long term relationships that are also long distance, that’s not a guarantee of course. Houston I imagine is less transient and also Southern so it’s probably less “rude” than Phoenicians whom many come from or have Southern Californian roots and will have more snobbish Californian behaviors depending which part.

I’d rather move back to Phoenix than live in Houston for a plurality of reasons. I left Phoenix because it was too hot (one of my many reasons) and Houston certainly paid no relief so why bother? Only a good paying job would ever get me to consider Texas, let alone Houston.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:00 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Texans are just as bad as Zonies for driving behavior. However Texas has the problem of being Texas and just having so much more people. The I-10 in Houston is a death trap all the way from Katy to wherever it ends on the east side. Can’t speak much to the other freeways in Houston but that was enough of an experience. Though at that point I may have just been extra fatigued because I had spent the whole day driving in from West Texas. I-10 was just constant survival mode in Houston. To be fair though as someone who has been on every inch of the I-10 the Houston stretch is not the worst of it. The worst of it is western Louisiana before Baton Rouge. Louisiana has the worst road quality out of all the states I’ve personally been to.

Phoenicians can be insular although they are better than most of the US. It’s just that Phoenix’s transient behavior where everyone leaves in 5 years or less can make things difficult for locals to want to branch out since it’s difficult to rely on long term relationships that are also long distance, that’s not a guarantee of course. Houston I imagine is less transient and also Southern so it’s probably less “rude” than Phoenicians whom many come from or have Southern Californian roots and will have more snobbish Californian behaviors depending which part.

I’d rather move back to Phoenix than live in Houston for a plurality of reasons. I left Phoenix because it was too hot (one of my many reasons) and Houston certainly paid no relief so why bother? Only a good paying job would ever get me to consider Texas, let alone Houston.
Texas roadways are full of F150/Dodge Ram drivers who think they own the road.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:31 AM

918 posts, read 565,923 times
Phoenix has more than its share of the most passive aggressive people from snowbirding states. That is, "nice" on surface but not necessarily otherwise.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:49 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Clearly neither of the 2 cities are good for people that can’t stand aggressive drivers. And maybe Houston is a tad bit better. But that tad is in no way worth a relocation (if that’s the specific reason you’re moving for).

Tolerable summers are also a “pick your poison” matchup here, but atleast they’re different enough to where I could understand moving for this reason. Particularly if you hate dry heat or have hydration issues or something of that nature.

Air quality is another pick your poison matchup. Phoenix’ desert position can definitely position you to a point to where the dust isn’t so friendly to your lungs. Houston area creates more smog but also “recycles” it quicker naturally. I’ll say it’s easier to avoid bad air quality in Houston than in Phoenix if you choose the right place.

As for rude people, well like I said above, my experience in Phoenix is limited. But I never found it to be a rude place. I find AMERICA as a whole to be rude, but the little I’ve seen with Phoenix, it’s not particularly rude for being a major city in the US. And don’t let others deceive you into thinking Houston is a very friendly place. I’ve met great people and very unfriendly people. Find a friend and grow your circle from there.

I will also have to flat out disagree with the thought that transient environments equals less friendly people. It is sometimes the case, but I think this varies by the job field. In the hospitality and nursing sector, the transient environment is known to be very friendly. Not sure how this translates in Phoenix.

All of these Phoenix posters are making me curious though. I might spend a few weeks there at some point to get to know it better.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:54 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Houston. Sweat is the body’s way of cooling itself. In Phoenix, it’s like when you open the oven door and that blast of heat hits you in the face. I’ll take the humidity any day.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:04 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Houston. Sweat is the body’s way of cooling itself. In Phoenix, it’s like when you open the oven door and that blast of heat hits you in the face. I’ll take the humidity any day.
You're right about sweating being a cooling process, but in order for it to work properly the sweat has to evaporate. It doesn't do that in a humid climate like Houston. It sticks to you and short circuits the whole process. It increases the likelihood of developing heatstroke considerably.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
In the end its just preference.

I HATE dry heat. But just as many people if not more hate humid heat. There is no this vs. that. Its just preference. It cannot be mathematically proven so no need to debate it.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,096,095 times
Neither is tolerable; both are horrendous in some form or another. In one city the sun broils you, in the other it pressure-cooks you.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:10 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Neither is tolerable; both are horrendous in some form or another. In one city the sun broils you, in the other it pressure-cooks you.
Boils down to preference. Id rather deal with either than your city, but you clearly handle cold better. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City