Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 06:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Yeah, I know but the commute share in Riverside is irrelevant since metro doesn't operate there. BART does operate in San Jose.
The thread is titled "transit ridership," not "train ridership." Buses clearly count. And Riverside is basically San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 09:29 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The thread is titled "transit ridership," not "train ridership." Buses clearly count. And Riverside is basically San Jose.
The OP article is based off a San Jose Mercury news article comparing L.A. county with the Bay Area.

The article looks like it is including subordinate agencies like Big Blue Bus. Its a bit confusing because the region "LA Metro" would include Orange County, while the transit agency "LA Metro" would not, so it sounds like all transit operating in Los Angeles County vs. the entire Bay Area.

The fact that there is now a BART connection to San Jose makes a Riverside analogy very difficult as they only have a Metrolink connection, which is a regional train that goes as far as San Diego county.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm not following the conversation. Were you not responding to this comment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I wonder what those numbers would be accounting for BART's whole operating area?
..when you responded in the next post?

Quote:
If you want to count suburban extensions, SJ's metro was 2.0% and Riverside 0.7%.
I read nearly all of your comments as responding to Losfrisco who was certainly discussing trains.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
"Often packed",not constantly, and I do not reside there so I can't know everything. However, I did ride metro buses during the pandemic when fares were not collected (presumably to help isolate the driver), there were plenty of people riding then. Of course, like everywhere, this is certain routes at certain times.

What I meant to say that when confronted with the fact that Los Angeles has the #2 bus system in the nation, that information will not influence the opinion of the average American who likely still believes there is minimal to no mass transit in the area.

The APTA data that was posted upthread to debunk the OP article still shows LA Metro bus with 3X the ridership of SFBA buses (in a metro less than 3X the size).
It also shows LA having more than half the heavy rail ridership with a subway roughly 15% the size of BART.

Less than an hour ago I disembarked a light rail in San Diego that was standing room only for much of the trip, more than five miles outside of downtown.

It seems like whenever the wrong cities are posting transit gains, we're told it's a fluke, or the data is somehow "not useful" in determining who has a good system, etc. This seems like the latest example of that.
Correction to this, its more like just short of 2X ridership when Oakland, Santa Clara, Long Beach, and SaMo are all added in.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm not following the conversation. Were you not responding to this comment..

I read nearly all of your comments as responding to Losfrisco who was certainly discussing trains.
I think the confusion comes from when I asked about "BART's operating area." Since city/metro/CSA are somewhat murky with the Bay Area, I carved out a region based off of BART to try to get an agency vs. agency area of operations breakdown.

Like you said, the two areas are executing different concepts, I think Metro compares best vs. Chicago CTA with spacing and coverage area.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:

The conversation is getting pretty far from the thread title, which is about transit ridership, and appears to be very outdated. The SF area is on a much higher level at least in commute ridership, no matter how you slice it.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Comparing the "Los Angeles metro area" to the "Bay Area" is wildly ambiguous and inconsistent overall. You either have to compare the MSA of LA to the MSA of SF, or take all of Los Angeles' CSA of 33,000 sq mil and compare per mile transit to all of SF's CSA if boundaries are being compared apples to apples. Lastly you could just compare systems and their coverage area by county, in all forms of transit.

What should be used to determine the "LA metro area" should just be the 10 million person LA County, and I suppose Orange County vs the 9 core counties of the Bay Area. Tally up the total population of each to determine the denominator of true ridership per mile stats. California and it's huge counties is nearly impossible to compare to anywhere else by "metro area" due to counties being the primary measuring stick.

Last edited by the resident09; 11-17-2023 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 08:13 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:
The conversation is getting pretty far from the thread title, which is about transit ridership, and appears to be very outdated. The SF area is on a much higher level at least in commute ridership, no matter how you slice it.
As far as conversations go, I don't find this to be drifting very far. As with most things, someone may make a point and then it may require a deeper dive or may have a tangent. That's how conversations tend to work. It needn't be just an exchange of statistics and then it's over.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:03 PM

Of course. But my comments, which align with the title, remain in order.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Comparing the "Los Angeles metro area" to the "Bay Area" is wildly ambiguous and inconsistent overall. You either have to compare the MSA of LA to the MSA of SF, or take all of Los Angeles' CSA of 33,000 sq mil and compare per mile transit to all of SF's CSA if boundaries are being compared apples to apples. Lastly you could just compare systems and their coverage area by county, in all forms of transit.

What should be used to determine the "LA metro area" should just be the 10 million person LA County, and I suppose Orange County vs the 9 core counties of the Bay Area. Tally up the total population of each to determine the denominator of true ridership per mile stats. California and it's huge counties is nearly impossible to compare to anywhere else by "metro area" due to counties being the primary measuring stick.
From what I can gather from the Planetizen article, they are using six county slice of the Bay with a population of around 6 million. Larger than the SF MSA, smaller than the SJ CSA.

I agree that the use of counties isn't ideal, I would use UA, because in both cases it captures where the primary transit systems are operating for the most part.

One thing I don't think can be denied is that the Bay Area is moving in the direction of being more functionally suburban when it comes to transit, while metro Los Angeles is going in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Losfrisco; 11-17-2023 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City