Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more known for alligators?
Louisiana 10 10.99%
Florida 81 89.01%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 12:43 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times

Advertisements

The Discovery Channel had a TV show about alligator hunters in LA that put them into the public's view. I think for TV viewers it was the cajun accent of the show's cast and some of their unique ways that made it interesting, in addition to the gators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 09:27 AM

12,814 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Wow. Lopsided. I did vote Florida.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:18 AM

9,856 posts, read 6,570,632 times
As someone who has lived in both of these states, I’m going to say that Louisiana easily embraces their alligators more on a local level. Sure, Florida has it as a nationally famous mascot. But when it comes to day to day life, Louisiana all the way. They even eat alligator there.

But it does seem that Florida is more recognized for their gators on an outsider eye. I’m sure being a bigger tourist and media center plays a role.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
As someone who has lived in both of these states, I’m going to say that Louisiana easily embraces their alligators more on a local level. Sure, Florida has it as a nationally famous mascot. But when it comes to day to day life, Louisiana all the way. They even eat alligator there.

But it does seem that Florida is more recognized for their gators on an outsider eye. I’m sure being a bigger tourist and media center plays a role.
This seems correct. Florida seems to be famous for gators in manicured golf courses or in suburban pools. Louisiana seems to interact much differently, people hunt them, eat them, and the people who live around them seem to be better equipped to deal with them.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
I know they exist there, but I don't generally think of Louisiana as having alligators. The immediate place I go to in my mind is Florida.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Lived in Louisiana for many years. Alligators are only found in the south in the bayous whereas they’re pretty much everywhere in FL except the extreme north.
Not really true...but they are definitely more abundant the closer you are to the gulf.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/Fact...?speciesID=221
==========
For the poll - I went with Florida just bc the question is "more associated". When you think of alligator, Florida pops up first, even though fried gator in Louisiana is tasty .

Old 03-29-2023, 09:22 AM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

"They" eat alligator in Florida too...

Old 03-29-2023, 08:13 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Not really true...but they are definitely more abundant the closer you are to the gulf.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/Fact...?speciesID=221
==========
For the poll - I went with Florida just bc the question is "more associated". When you think of alligator, Florida pops up first, even though fried gator in Louisiana is tasty .
Don’t care what the map shows.. I lived there for 35 years. In Louisiana alligators are almost entirely found south of I-10. I lived a few miles north of the interstate and never, ever heard of anything about an alligator in this area. If you’re going gator hunting in Louisiana, you’re going to have to go to the bayous and lakes south of I-10.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
"They" eat alligator in Florida too...
Yeah but it's not known for that. Florida residents would probably freak out more seeing a gator than a typical Louisiana resident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Don’t care what the map shows.. I lived there for 35 years. In Louisiana alligators are almost entirely found south of I-10. I lived a few miles north of the interstate and never, ever heard of anything about an alligator in this area. If you’re going gator hunting in Louisiana, you’re going to have to go to the bayous and lakes south of I-10.
That's pretty wierd to die on this hill. Gators are found as far north as Arkansas and North Carolina.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I think Florida is the answer to the thread in that it gets more media attention so to the average person Florida would be the biggest association.

However, when I think of gators personally I think of Louisiana first.

Louisiana to me celebrates gator culture more. Gators interacting with humans in Florida results in national news. Gators interacting with humans in Louisiana results in dinner. Louisiana has culture built around the bayou. Gator dishes, gator tours gator souvenirs. Florida has all of those too, but experiencing them in Florida is more spur of the moment while people seek those out purposefully in Louisiana.

Florida is more urbanized than Louisiana. Building mile after mile of homes in gator country is going to create lots of gator stories. If southern Louisiana had Florida style growth the poll results would be more even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City