Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 10:36 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Eh. I’m a bit lukewarm on putting Tucson any lower. But I’m not totally opposed to it.

Omaha is so isolated out there in the plains (which could actually help it in the ranking). GR is probably the largest / most influential city that most people have never heard of (seems like, since it *seems* to be a somewhat newer entrant to most rankings). B’ham has the bones to be much more influential, but it is also one of the worst performing cities in the nation. Alabama’s power base is also split among multiple other cities (Montgomery- political, Mobile-logistical, Huntsville-white collar/research, Tuscaloosa-educational). Birmingham would have been ranked higher a decade or two ago. It seems to be trending downward.

Tucson’s main argument is its major military presence. I mean, I guess I could see arguments for these three cities over Tucson. Let me ponder on it.
(apologizing to everyone for keeping this discussion going lol but I'm curious)

What metrics are you using when defining influence? It seems that size and name recognition may weigh pretty heavy into it? Tucson has some name recognition, as well as being home to a D1 university. Other than that it has little to no corporate influence, and it's actual physical sphere of influence is capped at around 1million people. I'm not sure how to quantify how much influence the air force base actually gives it.

Grand Rapids in comparison has almost no name recognition, no D1 university. But it does have a much larger corporate presence, a larger and faster growing economy, and it's actual physical sphere of influence is upwards of 2 million people. Does Tucson win this on name recognitions alone(not saying it shouldn't)?

Do you consider all of these types of things or is it more simple? For me when I think like this I would place both Omaha and Birmingham in the top 50. I agree though there's a bunch of UA's in that 45-55 range that are splitting hairs.

Quote:
Also: On the topic of Arizona cities. Do you feel Phoenix is appropriately ranked at #15 (below Minneapolis)? Or should it be ranked above Minneapolis and take the #14 spot instead?
I agree with your placement of Phoenix. Actually I think it's a very good example of what I am talking about above. I'd argue Minneapolis may have more name recognition than PHX. It also has a disproportionately larger corporate presence than Phoenix, and it's economic output is also outsized. The only metric Phoenix really outperforms is UA size. That wouldn't be enough for me to rank it above MSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 11:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep, I'm too lazy to dig up the article but a few years back there was an article about how CNN's HQ really is out of DC and how much consternation that's caused in the Atlanta office which has seen years of layoffs and cuts.
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/cnn...nic-cnn-center

The HQs moved from Downtown Atlanta to midtown. According to the link, CNN's weekday anchors are located in DC and NYC. However, CNN Digital and International Operations occurs in Atlanta. CNN International operates in 200+ countries. Factor that in with Turner Broadcasting, The Weather Channel, film/movie (#2 in the U.S., Top 10 worldwide), and pop culture, I think it's safe to say that Atlanta is a global media outlet and that's why I ranked it over Dallas, Miami, and Philadelphia.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:22 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

The HQs moved from Downtown Atlanta to midtown. According to the link, CNN's weekday anchors are located in DC and NYC. However, CNN Digital and International Operations occurs in Atlanta. CNN International operates in 200+ countries. Factor that in with Turner Broadcasting, The Weather Channel, film/movie (#2 in the U.S., Top 10 worldwide), and pop culture, I think it's safe to say that Atlanta is a global media outlet and that's why I ranked it over Dallas, Miami, and Philadelphia.
But the anchors, a lot of the execs, the staffers who support the TV/journalism side, staffers who work on the political side which is the focal point for CNN are mostly in DC (and NYC). I mean, it's 2023 - I'm not really going to argue over CNN and what city their HQ is in.

When it comes to Atlanta, lots of TV and movies are shot down there these days due to the tax credits and it's cheaper but personally I don't really think of it as a global media hub. It's like how Canada, similar to Georgia, has become another hot spot for shooting movies and TV shows due to the tax credits and it's just cheaper overall compared to California but I wouldn't really say it's a media hub.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:25 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

It's common knowledge that CNN's influence and operations in Atlanta have diminished over the years (beyond just broadcasting). A stretch to claim Atlanta is a global media center because it's the "HQ" of CNN...

Philadelphia is the sole home of Comcast and Telemundo operations, a stronger claim for media power. But realistically, the media powerhouses in the US are New York, LA, and DC.

Atlanta is a major player in movie/TV production, but that doesn't equal a global media hub either.

Bye bye CNN Center: CNN employees moving to Midtown campus
https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk...PMFDZPRT6I3VQ/

CNN effectively moved its headquarters to New York years ago, and the hulking CNN Center has been slowly hollowed out.

CNN’s Permanent Move From CNN Center to Techwood Campus Will Conclude This Year
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnns...s-year/521567/

CNN’s presence in its hometown has diminished over the last two decades, with many of its executives, anchors, and staff being based out of its New York Hudson Yards facility.
About 900 of CNN’s 3,500 employees work in New York at the Hudson Yards development on the west side of Manhattan.
The entire CNN U.S. programming weekday, from 4 a.m.-11 p.m. ET, currently originates from either New York or Washington, D.C., with its weekend morning and mid-afternoon shows continuing to originate from Atlanta.

The Media Powerhouses
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

Last edited by cpomp; 04-13-2023 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-13-2023, 12:51 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
If Comcast is influential, so's Amazon in book, music, and video distribution and content creation. Seattle's also the HQ and engineering center for most cloud services. Microsoft does things. A lot of Meta's VR stuff. And probably the top gaming center in the US outside CA, but #1 with platforms.

But I wouldn't claim Seattle as a major media city. Nor does Philly's claim sound very good. Atlanta would be higher but not on the NY/LA or even TO level.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:53 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:

Seriously. I don't understand this idea that CNN is gonna run to NYC or DC. Its not happening and not just because of tax reasons.

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If Comcast is influential, so's Amazon in book, music, and video distribution and content creation. Seattle's also the HQ and engineering center for most cloud services. Microsoft does things. A lot of Meta's VR stuff. And probably the top gaming center in the US outside CA, but #1 with platforms.

But I wouldn't claim Seattle as a major media city. Nor does Philly's claim sound very good. Atlanta would be higher but not on the NY/LA or even TO level.
I don't know that anyone has claimed that Atlanta is on NY/LA's level of media. I am not sure I agree the presence of CNN or Georgia's filming industry is enough to boost the influence of ATL's urban area over Philadelphia.

What other things might factor in?

Quote:

I made an analogy to compare CNN vs. Comcast (the latter has a lot more power).

But my point, it is a weak argument to consider Atlanta (or any city that isn't New York, LA, DC) as a global media hub.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:05 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:

I agree here. I've never once said that Atlanta was on NY's or LA's level, Although regarding movies, it produces more than every other city besides LA. I'm solely speaking on the TV networks (not just CNN), film/movies and pop culture. Atlanta is global in those aspects and I think that I have posted enough factual data to make such a claim. If Atlanta's TV stations operates in 200+ countries, how is that not global influencing? If Atlanta ranks #2 in movie production in the U.S. and Top 10 worldwide, how is that not global influencing? If Atlanta pop culture impacts Africa, Asia, Europe, and parts of South America and the Caribbean, how's that not global influencing?

Old 04-13-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I agree here. I've never once said that Atlanta was on NY's or LA's level, Although regarding movies, it produces more than every other city besides LA. I'm solely speaking on the TV networks (not just CNN), film/movies and pop culture. Atlanta is global in those aspects and I think that I have posted enough factual data to make such a claim. If Atlanta's TV stations operates in 200+ countries, how is that not global influencing? If Atlanta ranks #2 in movie production in the U.S. and Top 10 worldwide, how is that not global influencing? If Atlanta pop culture impacts Africa, Asia, Europe, and parts of South America and the Caribbean, how's that not global influencing?
The issue is your terminology. Referring to Atlanta as a "global media outlet" inadvertently compares it to New York, LA, DC, actual global media outlets.
Maybe that was not your intention, but that is how it was perceived.

And claiming Atlanta is a "global media outlet" also opens the door to other cities, like Philadelphia and maybe even Seattle. (For the record, I don't think any are global media outlets).

I view Atlanta as a regional media outlet and a national outlet for movie/TV production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City