Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 08:00 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times

Advertisements

List is filled with unequal comparisons

Manhattan - a borough

San Diego - a city

Greater LA - a metro area

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 10:16 PM

93 posts, read 84,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
List is filled with unequal comparisons

Manhattan - a borough

San Diego - a city

Greater LA - a metro area

???
It's actually not even real jurisdictions sometimes and just a "sub-market" name. Greater LA is not the metro since they count Orange County separately. I've seen this done in other luxury real estate reports too where they're very loose with such definitions and are basically just looking for names for concentrations of super expensive property.

For LA it's basically a conglomeration of areas where a lot of these types of sales happen (so the super wealthy foot-hill and beach-front neighborhoods). In NYC, which is much more compact, Manhattan by itself is a natural sub-market that neatly captures a very large fraction of such sales in the NY Metro. So when they say Manhattan it's not New York County per se, its the part of NYC where ultra-luxury properties abound.

And I'm pretty sure San Diego here doesn't mean the city. It almost certainly will include surrounding cities with very high end real estate (Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe etc).

Old 04-17-2023, 11:15 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
800k is not luxury, even in the midwest.
I live in a suburb where the average home is around $800k and it is regarded as one of the most prestigious in the area.

An $800k listing will be entertained by almost any luxury broker in the Midwest. An $800k home is going to be purchased by someone with a salary far above average.

Redfin gives you a luxury agent automatically for anything over $1 million.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:20 PM

325 posts, read 203,854 times
As usual San Antonio gets snubbed from the TX section lol. Kind of odd since Tony Parker's house was a 19-20M listing, George Strait's was pushing 9M and Jordan Clarkson bought a house in the Dominion for 7.5M.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think it's a pretty good snapshot, and indicative of where wealth areas are situated in the US in higher concentrations, to list out the states, from the Compass list:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
The DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia)
Florida

Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana

Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island

Tennessee
Texas
Washington
Wyoming
I disagree with you there. The places with the most multi million residences is not a good snap shot of concentrations of wealth.

You list a place like Indiana above a place like Texas,but just because real estate in Texas is relatively cheap doesn't mean there isn't a high concentration of Millionaires there. If I remember correctly Houston has the 5th largest concentration of millionaires and Dallas is like 6 or 7.

This house in Houston sold for $60 Million, but it is exceedly rare for property to come close to that: https://www.chron.com/homes/article/...n-17226241.php

Also, some of the biggest real estate deals in Texas are not made public

Old 04-19-2023, 05:25 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I live in a suburb where the average home is around $800k and it is regarded as one of the most prestigious in the area.
That’s kinda the point though. You aren’t going to find many suburbs where the average home is a luxury home outside a gated community. So while the suburb with $800k average homes is expensive and/or nice, luxury means something more in this context.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:21 AM

372 posts, read 203,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
"Luxury" in the grey plank floor and a bathtub next to a square shower stall kind of way lol
In the Midwest, $800,000 is nice, but hardly luxury.

Last edited by Bicala; 04-19-2023 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-19-2023, 10:54 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
In the Midwest, $800,000 is nice, but hardly luxury.
Correct, upper middle class houses. In certain parts of the coast, it's definitely just middle class.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:06 AM

817 posts, read 597,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
$10 million+ is a ridiculous benchmark for "ultra-luxury." In my market, Chicago, luxury is going to start at around $800k-$1.5 million and ultra-luxury is probably starting at $2-3 million. I could have all the money in the world. I'd still probably want to be in Illinois, but there are very few properties here that are actually worth more than $10 million.
If you had all the money in the world the place you'd choose to live is...Illinois? Bro.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:07 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
If you had all the money in the world the place you'd choose to live is...Illinois? Bro.
Warren Buffet lives in Omaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City