Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 05:27 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think that the NYC los of Black Americans is interesting in that yes, a lot of older people and retirees that I know of are indeed returning to hometowns or family in the south -- often small towns or smaller cities like Newport News, Winston-Salem, Tallahassee, and the like.

But there is another dynamic too. Many younger, college-educated professionals are moving to New York for career advancement and THEN leaving the city after a time, sometimes just to the 'burbs, sometimes to take positions in other cities in the Southeast or Texas. So what that means is that while the overall African-American population is shrinking it his also constantly being reinvigorated by ambitious Black people in a way that I'm not sure happens elsewhere.

Perhaps that's true in Washington DC, Boston, San Jose too -- those are the cities that I think where this cycle may also happen. The combination of high COL and A-list job opportunities in high-paying fields is pretty rare IMO. When it happens you'll see a lot of Black Americans living in such a city for a while, bringing new blood to civic and business life, reaping the benefits for themselves, and then moving on. But for wholly different reasons than older residents, retirees, and younger families in search of cheap housing and safer streets.
Good point, as more black people are more mobile new and in turn, a lot of city still get a steady influx of black residents to keep things balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 06:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
African Americans choosing suburbs while whites go to cities will only increase the wealth gap.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Interesting data.

The North is pricing people out which is nothing new but it's reached an apex since COVID. I'd be curious how many people are moving to the South because they quite literally have no other choice because housing has become so unaffordable in the Northeast.
Pricing people out is not a northern thing. It’s happening all over.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
I don’t think that’s the case; blacks are moving South because they want to.
Most are moving because of cost of living. The only place that attracts blacks that want to move for the hell of it is mainly Atlanta.

Old 05-09-2023, 06:28 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Most are moving because of cost of living. The only place that attracts blacks that want to move for the hell of it is mainly Atlanta.
That isn't exactly what the data shows:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...-to-the-south/

Old 05-09-2023, 06:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Texas’ growth is incredible and I doubt it will slow down.

Generally AAs are moving to the south for COL and jobs, in that order. Most of the people moving are college educated and/or have families. Certain areas, such as Baltimore, St Louis, Birmingham, are affordable but have other deeply entrenched issues like crime, poor schools etc.

Your fourth point re: AA and foreign born growth being unrelated is incorrect in places like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. All three have also seen large increases in the Caribbean and African populations.
There are already signs it's slowing especially when the rate is compared to the previous decades. From my observation the lower middle and most of the middle class AAs are moving for COL, though with the rapid increase in COL for the popular locations, not sure how long this will last. All others seem to be doing it for quality-of-life factors (returning to roots, weather, something new, etc.). A course this wouldn't be possible with high earning jobs didn't exist in these cities.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:43 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is also everything you need to understand about the current state of politics in Florida. Most of these retirees are also extremely conservative and left their States of origin because they do not agree with the political direction and they have zero reason to stay now that they are no longer working. So they tread on down to the hard right/libertarian utopia that is Florida and enable that walking brain injury DeSantis to push any wackydoodle law he can dream up.
I have heard anecdotally that since DeSantis has become governor that left-leaning professionals - particularly POC - are leaving Florida for Atlanta en masse.

Georgia is the #1 most popular destination for people moving out of Florida, but I don't know how much of that is just the long border the two states share.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
African Americans choosing suburbs while whites go to cities will only increase the wealth gap.
Nevermind the ruthless capitalism.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:26 PM

541 posts, read 556,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I have heard anecdotally that since DeSantis has become governor that left-leaning professionals - particularly POC - are leaving Florida for Atlanta en masse.

Georgia is the #1 most popular destination for people moving out of Florida, but I don't know how much of that is just the long border the two states share.
Florida loses the net flow to pretty much any other state in the Southeast (namely NC, TN, SC, GA, & AL. It net gains over VA, KY, MS, LA, AR, TX & OK).

From this, I'm getting the main places Floridians are moving to are (in addition to the number in reverse):

Out from FL|Moved In to FL
GA: 47,745|44,175
TX: 36,961|37,999
NC: 32,613|27,717
NY: 25,813|84,365
TN: 21,582|18,263
CA: 19,863|40,730
VA: 19,093|29,687
OH: 15,741|25,944
PA: 15,535|32,420
AL: 14,829|13,280
SC: 14,589|13,686
MI: 13,203|21,018

So it looks like NC is the biggest net gainer of the bigger mover states, followed by GA & TN, and then AL and SC.

Old 05-10-2023, 12:31 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Non-Hispanic Black Growth 2010-2020 by MSA
Pittsburgh: +481
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Non-Hispanic White Growth 2010-2020 by MSA
Pittsburgh: -103,293
This means the population of Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, other races and multiple races in the Pittsburgh MSA increased by +117,457 from 2010-2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City