Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 08:31 AM

472 posts, read 346,357 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

I'm gonna be driving home from DC and debating where to stop/what to see along the way back.
I'd like to see Roanoke or Williamsburg- which do y'all think is better/ has easy and fun attractions. We will be traveling with our dog, so if there's neat outdoor stuff that could be easier, let me know! We are open to other places as well, but were looking mostly at these two. It'll just be a night or two. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 01:02 PM

193 posts, read 204,221 times
If it's just a "night or two" Roanoke would probably be best. First you'd be heading directly southwest towards New Orleans (Williamsburg is to the southeast of Washington and would require some backtracking). Plus there is much natural beauty on the way to Roanoke especially if you take the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway which starts at Front Royal close to Skyline Caverns. Farther south are the beautiful Luray Caverns and the famous Natural Bridge of Virginia. In Roanoke itself check out the 100-foot-high illuminated Star atop Mill Mountain and the scenic overlook of the Roanoke Valley. Downtown Roanoke features the Center in the Square entertainment complex. Nearby is the beautiful and historic Hotel Roanoke--a great place to spend the night.

There is just too much to see and do in the Williamsburg area for a two-day trip. In addition to the restored colonial capital are nearby Jamestown, Yorktown, and Busch Gardens. Route 5 from Williamsburg to Richmond is lined with grand historic homes (Berkeley, Shirley, Westover, etc.) open to the public. Plus there are a ton of things to see in Richmond. You would need quite some time to really experience that part of Virginia.

Regardless of your choice, have a safe and fun trip.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Roanoke for your case, Williamsburg is somewhat out of the way even though there are more to see there technically.

You can also stop by Charlottesville - unless you've already been there, of course .

Old 05-15-2023, 03:13 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
I've spent the night in Roanoke before on a roadtrip south after a long drive. It's in a very scenic valley surrounded by some beautiful mountains and I wished I had more time to spend there to explore the area. I often travel with my pups, so in that case I'd definitely choose Roanoke. The Blue Ridge Parkway is in the area so I imagine there must be lots of hiking trails around.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
We recently honeymooned in Roanoke and had a great experience overall. For such a small city there is a nice array of independently-owned and -operated (and often ethnic) restaurants Downtown. We stayed at the Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites and enjoyed it, but from what I've heard the nearby Hotel Roanoke is also a good pick. As with all cities nowadays you will have to deal with drifters, panhandlers, etc.

We hiked up to McAfee Knob along the Appalachian Trail. The vista was BREATHTAKING. I will say, though, that the hike is very strenuous, and there are TONS of bugs.

Roanoke is a true "sleeper" city on here. Everyone is moving to the mountains of Western NC or Eastern TN, but Southwest VA also has a lot of great outdoor recreational opportunities.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:04 AM

Thank you all very much! I had just a couple follow-ups. I think we will be going to Roanoke, but (1) Genealogy & Community History museums- it seems like there's a few places you can trace your family's heritage. Do they allow anyone to access the archives? Will they help someone? (2) I've been trying to find colonial things to see in Roanoke as well, it obviously doesn't have the amount that Williamsburg would have, but just Hotel Roanoke keeps showing up- any spots y'all would recommend? Even if not directly Roanoke but nearby or on the way back to NOLA. Thanks so much!

Old 05-16-2023, 05:07 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Roanoke has a lot to do and the mountains in that part of Virginia are beautiful. As others have said, Williamsburg is out of the way, so to speak.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:39 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Thank you all very much! I had just a couple follow-ups. I think we will be going to Roanoke, but (1) Genealogy & Community History museums- it seems like there's a few places you can trace your family's heritage. Do they allow anyone to access the archives? Will they help someone? (2) I've been trying to find colonial things to see in Roanoke as well, it obviously doesn't have the amount that Williamsburg would have, but just Hotel Roanoke keeps showing up- any spots y'all would recommend? Even if not directly Roanoke but nearby or on the way back to NOLA. Thanks so much!
Roanoke looked a lot more like more of a Railroad hub kind of city than a colonial one. I don't remember seeing much in terms of colonial architecture or history. There's a lot more of that found in the eastern side of Virginia as colonial settlement was more geared towards tobacco plantations and not so much in the mountains. It's a nice looking city, but the surrounding mountains are what make it an attractive place.

Check out Old Town Alexandria or Annapolis, MD when you're in the DC area if you're looking for a well preserved colonial atmosphere.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:54 AM

193 posts, read 204,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
Roanoke wasn't incorporated as a city until 1884 so there is nothing from the Colonial era in or near the city that I'm aware of. However, on your way south there are a few notable attractions dating from the mid-to-late 1700s. In Orange County, just north of Charlottesville is Montpelier, home and burial place of James and Dolley Madison. Near Charlottesville is Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson and Highland, home of James Monroe. Nearby is historic Michie Tavern. All of these places are open to the public and have guided tours. All are located near U.S. Route 29 which runs parallel to, and just east of Skyline Drive.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:14 AM

Thank y'all so very much for the helpful tips. Really appreciate all of the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City