Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 09:55 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Dunno about that. City tourism is best with 75-80-degree highs, without much humidity. That's traditional Seattle summer weather, not including the recent freak years (hopefully not new normals). Chicago gets pretty hot and humid in the summer.
The goings on in core of Chicago during summer, Seattle cannot match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 10:05 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
How many of those are summer-only? Why wouldn't I do the rest during the shoulder seasons when the heat isn't so bad?

Seattle's core isn't bad for "goings on" in the summer either.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
How many of those are summer-only? Why wouldn't I do the rest during the shoulder seasons when the heat isn't so bad?

Seattle's downtown has a lot of quality of life issues that Chicago doesn't have.
Chicago is very clean and beautiful in the summer.
This is coming as a visitor to both cities.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:25 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
You're not wrong. Much better than 2021 though.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:51 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:

I'm not saying Seattle is bad. Its quite good for summer time activities. But Chicago is next level. I'd actually place it above NYC on outdoor events in the summer.

Of course, as mentioned, Chicago is miserable 6 months out of the year. They should honestly take a page from Minneapolis. In winter time, people stay indoors, eat, and get hammered in Chicago. In MSP, they actually embrace the winter. People are still doing outdoor activities then.

Then again having lived in Chicago, Id rather deal with humidity and heat for 6 months than frigid tundra for 6 months. That is despite the fact that Chicago despite its issues (crime, segregation, income gap, etc.) is one of the best cities for a person.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:26 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I'm not saying Seattle is bad. Its quite good for summer time activities. But Chicago is next level. I'd actually place it above NYC on outdoor events in the summer.

Of course, as mentioned, Chicago is miserable 6 months out of the year. They should honestly take a page from Minneapolis. In winter time, people stay indoors, eat, and get hammered in Chicago. In MSP, they actually embrace the winter. People are still doing outdoor activities then.
Eh, a lot of those Chicago downtown events are super cheesy, like Taste of Chicago. Used to be more authentic and actually "a taste" like 15 years ago. I do like Lollapalooza and Ravinia up in Highland Park though. Chicago summers are humid though, Ravinia into the evenings is more tolerable lol.

The thing with Seattle is lot of the summer events are not special events but just another day in Seattle things, some of the most impressive farmer's markets I've ever been to are in the neighborhoods like Ballard on just "another regular weekend." I used to go to Chicago and Boston's farmers markets often, and it doesn't remotely compare. Seattle also has special summer fest events like Bumbleshoot, Day in Day out, Marymoor, block parties as well, but yeah not quite like Lollapalooza. It's a much smaller city after all.

Chicago did used to have a Christmas Market in downtown during the winter, not sure if they're still doing it, but it was pretty large.

Last edited by Guineas; 05-22-2023 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2023, 07:31 PM

253 posts, read 122,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Chicago did used to have a Christmas Market in downtown during the winter, not sure if they're still doing it, but it was pretty large.
"Christkindlmarket Chicago is an annual Christmas market modeled after the German markets in Nuremberg, Germany, that attracts more than one million visitors per year. It’s such a popular Chicago holiday tradition that they added a Naperville Christkindlmarket in 2015, and a third location in 2017 in Wrigleyville."

https://yourchicagoguide.com/christkindlmarket-chicago/

I took in the downtown Christkindlmarket the first weekend last December. True to form, it was wall-to-wall people, no matter what time of day - at least on the weekend. Additionally, it was a sunny 50 degree day (for those of you who keep exclaiming that Chicago has "brutal and intolerable" winters).

Old 05-23-2023, 03:22 PM

254 posts, read 114,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Then again having lived in Chicago, Id rather deal with humidity and heat for 6 months than frigid tundra for 6 months. That is despite the fact that Chicago despite its issues (crime, segregation, income gap, etc.) is one of the best cities for a person.
Then you haven’t spent a complete summer in NYC if you think chicago has more things to do outside than NYC that’s including every borough. I would say the summers are similar in terms of outdoor activities but in totality of things to do in the summer NYC is unmatched. . The tourism numbers domestic and international during the summer is like night and day when you compare the two.

Last edited by BKafrican1; 05-23-2023 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-23-2023, 03:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicago needs a quick refresh, at least on these lists. It’s been a feature, if not the feature, on so many domestic and international lists over the last decade.

I’ll die on this hill - It’s the single best summer city in North America. It is a completely different city vs. the other three seasons, in the best way. Nowhere better in my travels… Its an absolute standout.
Agree. Was downtown today and the city is just alive, bright and vibrant. Tons of tourists, students, business people, families, etc.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:54 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
Orlando and LV in the summertime is brutal. I’d rather go after Labor Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City