Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metros has the best access to green/park spaces, hiking, and nature generally?
Dallas-Ft. Worth 6 9.09%
Charlotte 37 56.06%
Indianapolis 9 13.64%
San Antonio 4 6.06%
Houston 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:33 AM

869 posts, read 319,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Where are those fishing and water recreation hotspots that are just outside the metro area?
Quite a few....

Kemah, Bacliff, Lake Houston, Lake Conroe, Galveston, Lake Anahuac, McGovern Lake (Hermann Park), Sheldon Lake (my personal favorite), Tom Bass park...there's plenty more, just can't think of them all at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 10:42 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Definitely not DFW unless you enjoy brain eating amoebas in reservoirs called lakes.

Charlotte would be my vote by a mile compared to the other cities on there.
That's what they are. Most of them are for water usage or for flood control. The lakes were created by damming the Trinity River or its tributaries. Lake Ray Hubbard was built by the City of Dallas in the late 60s on the East Fork of the Trinity River as a water source and so was White Rock Lake (but it has been decommissioned as a water source decades ago). BTW all lakes in Texas are technically reservoirs, except one. Texas does not have an abundance of natural lakes. Many of the lakes are used for recreational activities due to the lack of natural lakes.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:52 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Quite a few....

Kemah, Bacliff, Lake Houston, Lake Conroe, Galveston, Lake Anahuac, McGovern Lake (Hermann Park), Sheldon Lake (my personal favorite), Tom Bass park...there's plenty more, just can't think of them all at the moment.
You are probably joking with McGovern. I know of the other ones but wouldn't say they're that close. If you go similar distances from San Antonio you can find very nice spots too.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That's what they are. Most of them are for water usage or for flood control. The lakes were created by damming the Trinity River or its tributaries. Lake Ray Hubbard was built by the City of Dallas in the late 60s on the East Fork of the Trinity River as a water source and so was White Rock Lake (but it has been decommissioned as a water source decades ago). BTW all lakes in Texas are technically reservoirs, except one. Texas does not have an abundance of natural lakes. Many of the lakes are used for recreational activities due to the lack of natural lakes.
Texas has no natural lakes. Even Lake Caddo was created by a logjam.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Texas has no natural lakes. Even Lake Caddo was created by a logjam.
Wasn't the logjam natural? Many natural lakes are formed by natural logjam.

The ones not considered natural are created through concrete or earthen dams

Old 05-24-2023, 01:54 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Charlotte and surrounding Mecklenburg County have an extensive system of greenways that are well connected with many neighborhoods and commercial areas. This of course doesn't include state parks such as Crowders Mountain on the outskirts of the metro area. I really don't see the Texas metros or Indianapolis measuring up in terms of nature access.

Greenways | Park and Recreation

Old 05-24-2023, 06:42 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Why did you put Houston ahead of San Antonio?
I’d personally say Houston does parks better while San Antonio has more natural scenery. But that’s just me

Old 05-24-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’d personally say Houston does parks better while San Antonio has more natural scenery. But that’s just me
That's fair. If the thread was about parks only I'd put Houston ahead. If it's parks plus nature, green spaces then it's not so obvious.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
That's fair. If the thread was about parks only I'd put Houston ahead. If it's parks plus nature, green spaces then it's not so obvious.
I lived in San Antonio for 4 years and loved the parks. Breckenridge Park especially. I also liked the sunken gardens.

The natural elements I didn't think were all that though. Maybe it's because I'm used to more deep green greenscapes. Central Texas is OK for Texas. It has varied topography, but to be honest, compared to landscapes I have seen, the area around San Antonio (AND AUSTIN) is a bit overstated. Although there are ample trees, the areas give off more of a parched look rather than a lush look.

Conversely the surrounding areas of Houston are understated. It is generally flat, but the surrounding areas are so green and lush.

There is the Sam Houston National Forest starting in the northern burbs: https://365thingsinhouston.com/wp-co...nal-forest.jpg https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/sim...76ec13c720.jpg

There is the Brazoria National Wildlife refuge: https://www.nwf.org/-/media/NEW-WEBS...0-900x591.ashx
https://www.visitbrazosport.com/wp-c...azoria-NWR.jpg

Also there are so many navigable rivers in the metro:
The Lower Colorado,
The Brazos,
Lavaca River,
Lower Trinity,
San Bernard,
and of course the slow flowing rivers like Buffalo Bayou.

I don't think any area in Texas has as many navigable rivers. The Trinity runs through DFW but it's not navigable there, the Colorado and the Brazos runs to Austin and Waco respectively but barriers such as dams prevent those from being navigable.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1500w

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1500w

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpress...1048310367.jpg

https://buffalobayou.org/wp-content/...Image-10-2.jpg

What irks me about Texas posters is that they know of all the popular central Texas spots but are so ignorant about the hidden gems around the state. They go to Houston and only see the highways around the core and extrapolate that to the entire metro. Get off the highways and you will see much much more.

The real gems in Texas are the far west areas and the areas of Texas east of the Brazos. Vastly different areas but in my opinion more interesting than central Texas.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:13 AM

869 posts, read 319,165 times
Quote:
You are probably joking with McGovern. I know of the other ones but wouldn't say they're that close. If you go similar distances from San Antonio you can find very nice spots too.

The original comment said OUTSIDE of the metro area, and most of the ones I named are still INSIDE the metro area.

People are just forgetting how spread out Houston is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City