Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 12:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm not so sure about that.

Pennsylvania is an extremely affordable state, yet we had one of the largest net losses in Millennials in the country from 2010-2020.

Whenever I am on social media and recommend Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh to fellow Millennials whining about housing affordability in more expensive areas the "haha"-react emoji tends to dominate my reply/comment, which shows that Millennials would rather whine about being unhoused or in danger of becoming unhoused just to live in a trendy area than to stomach their pride and move to a place like Pennsylvania where you can own your own home for <$400/month (as we do in the City of Pittsburgh) instead of whining about trying to pay $1,500/month+ in rent for a 1-BR in a trendy state or city. I was tired of whining about being housing insecure in Northern Virginia, which is precisely why I packed up and moved to Pittsburgh. Now I live the good life here for dirt cheap. Even our super trendy areas like the Strip District or Shadyside or Lawrenceville or South Side Flats or the Mexican War Streets are considerably less expensive than the super trendy areas of many other cities.
Would be interesting to look at the same statistics at a metro area level.

IIRC for Pittsburgh the numbers of younger people moving there isn't really THAT impressive compare to the hype on C-D anyway - but it could also be younger educated professionals moving in, barely offsetting the younger people that has less educational attainment that moves out of the metro area.

Otherwise, outside of Pittsburgh and Philly (and some surrounding "hip" town) the population is just not getting that much younger.
===================
For the numbers overall - same as the SmartAsset link, the states with zero state income tax (WA, TX, FL, TN, NV) are definitely attracting millennials. Then you have the spillover from DC into MD and VA, MA benefitting from educated professional boom around Boston. In the south NC and GA are also doing fine. Then you've MN where Twin Cities is just able to attract people despite being super cold.

On the flip side, New England outside of MA is really aging (probably all the younger people moves to MA), then states with awful economy (MS, WV) or meh (AL, AR...both of which only have 1 mid-size metro area attracting some younger peeps, i.e. Huntsville for AL and Fayetteville/NWA for AR) are losing younger people left and right. OH, IN, MI, and even IL continue to face a major brain drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 01:16 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Whenever I am on social media and recommend Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh to fellow Millennials whining about housing affordability in more expensive areas the "haha"-react emoji tends to dominate my reply/comment, which shows that Millennials would rather whine about being unhoused or in danger of becoming unhoused just to live in a trendy area than to stomach their pride and move to a place like Pennsylvania where you can own your own home for <$400/month (as we do in the City of Pittsburgh) instead of whining about trying to pay $1,500/month+ in rent for a 1-BR in a trendy state or city. I was tired of whining about being housing insecure in Northern Virginia, which is precisely why I packed up and moved to Pittsburgh. Now I live the good life here for dirt cheap. Even our super trendy areas like the Strip District or Shadyside or Lawrenceville or South Side Flats or the Mexican War Streets are considerably less expensive than the super trendy areas of many other cities.
May be worth mentioning that a lot of people do have needs (or at least a strong desire) to stay where they're living, which may be relevant here. This can be more important if you're struggling financially --- you have friends you can couchsurf with, people to let you borrow appliances so you don't have to buy them, etc.

Even apart from that, though, I don't think it's an irrational choice to live in SF or NYC or LA in your 20s-early 30s, even if you're struggling. You only go through that period once, and the access to the "important big city that everyone talks about" lifestyle can be important. (I have enjoyed this about living in SF, even after getting laid off and having to live on a tight budget for a while.) Particularly if you don't know anything about Pittsburgh or Cincinnati or Milwaukee, and are not especially adventurous or curious about them, as most people aren't.

IIRC, Pittsburgh actually is gaining some younger migrants nowadays, it's just being offset by all the old steel and manufacturing workers dying off or leaving their blighted neighborhoods for the Sunbelt. So the population growth is basically flat, but most Rust Belt cities have negative growth.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Look at the difference between Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
May be worth mentioning that a lot of people do have needs (or at least a strong desire) to stay where they're living, which may be relevant here. This can be more important if you're struggling financially --- you have friends you can couchsurf with, people to let you borrow appliances so you don't have to buy them, etc.

Even apart from that, though, I don't think it's an irrational choice to live in SF or NYC or LA in your 20s-early 30s, even if you're struggling. You only go through that period once, and the access to the "important big city that everyone talks about" lifestyle can be important. (I have enjoyed this about living in SF, even after getting laid off and having to live on a tight budget for a while.) Particularly if you don't know anything about Pittsburgh or Cincinnati or Milwaukee, and are not especially adventurous or curious about them, as most people aren't.

IIRC, Pittsburgh actually is gaining some younger migrants nowadays, it's just being offset by all the old steel and manufacturing workers dying off or leaving their blighted neighborhoods for the Sunbelt. So the population growth is basically flat, but most Rust Belt cities have negative growth.
But most younger people are NOT going to NYC/LA/SF, though. It's all about "trendy" city - Seattle and Portland, Denver, Nashville TN (which is most likely where millennials head to anyway in TN, follow probably by Knoxville). Then you got Texas which has the low COL, has the amenities both younger professionals (i.e. bar hopping, art/entertainment district, etc.) and young families (abundance of relatively cheap new SFHs with good school) in the "Big 4". You have people wanting to find beaches down in FL. Even in NE you got DC and Boston which has the good paying jobs for younger professionals.

Oh...and BTW millennials ARE moving to suburbs nowaday also now that they start having kids. Remember, the oldest millennials are now in their 40s.

tl;dr: You may be thinking of "Gen Z"...millennials are getting old .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
All thanks to Boston .

But then, the Senator from VT is an old geezer also .

Old 06-05-2023, 01:33 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
VT has zilt to offer for anyone under than 40. The homes are 2-3x more expensive as they should be, there are limited job opportunities and the state is afraid of growth. Burlington is great... to visit. The rest of the state is pretty much unlivable.

Everyone my age coming from VT hates it. NH offers infinitely more options than VT. NH is light years better than VT.

This is pretty much of 99% of VT with any sort of development: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4746...8192?entry=ttu

Old 06-05-2023, 02:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that.

Pennsylvania is an extremely affordable state, yet we had one of the largest net losses in Millennials in the country from 2010-2020.

Moving is very expensive. Someone on the west coast living paycheck to paycheck is probably not going to be able to come up with a few thousand dollars to move to Pennsylvania. Also, not to mention leaving behind your support system and having to start from scratch.

Old 06-05-2023, 02:55 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, it's true that some Millennials prefer to wallow in their own misery of living paycheck-to-paycheck rather than move somewhere where their standard-of-living would likely improve dramatically.
I think this is all overstated. The homeownership rates of expensive metro areas like Seattle aren't that much lower than the national average.

SEATTLE — The number of millennial homeowners in Seattle has doubled in the last five years.

According to a recent report from RentCafe, more than 128,000 millennials bought a home in Seattle. That is 45% of the Seattle millennial population compared to the national average of 52%.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...1-a5b7dd33fc02

Old 06-05-2023, 03:39 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Some of that's self-selection. If you expect to have a big house but don't earn a lot, you don't choose an expensive city.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:28 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
VT has zilt to offer for anyone under than 40. The homes are 2-3x more expensive as they should be, there are limited job opportunities and the state is afraid of growth. Burlington is great... to visit. The rest of the state is pretty much unlivable.

Everyone my age coming from VT hates it. NH offers infinitely more options than VT. NH is light years better than VT.

This is pretty much of 99% of VT with any sort of development: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4746...8192?entry=ttu
I actually know a lot of millennials that love, and I mean LOVE living there. Vermont has the “Ski The East” population. The nomadic, earthy crunchy communities. And a mess load of beer nerds. Outside of that, it’s just generational millennials that never left.

The reality is, overall, these groups make up a small population, in a minimally populated State.

It’s really too bad, because it’s such a gorgeous State with so many good things about it. I’ve always felt like Vermont is well situated for the future. Sparsely populated, plenty of fresh water, beautiful hills and mountains and orchards. A lot of local pride. It’s the type of place I thought millennials from large cities would fall in love with when the secret was out. But it’s never gotten there. It’s not cheap enough, for one. And there’s very little opportunity. Places like Portsmouth and Portland have really ruled that circle over the last decade.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:44 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I think this is all overstated. The homeownership rates of expensive metro areas like Seattle aren't that much lower than the national average.

SEATTLE — The number of millennial homeowners in Seattle has doubled in the last five years.

According to a recent report from RentCafe, more than 128,000 millennials bought a home in Seattle. That is 45% of the Seattle millennial population compared to the national average of 52%.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...1-a5b7dd33fc02
Well, first off all, a 7% (lower) difference is not exactly insignificant.

Secondly, how many of them had lots of help from mommy and daddy and/or their trust fund?

You certainly don't get the granular-level data on those types of situations, which I can guarantee is a lot more common in a city like Seattle.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-05-2023 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City