Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 08:09 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If the Bay Area is so wealthy how come we don’t see many 50 foot yachts!!!
Our daughter lives in WI, and her hubby, just bought a yacht (over 50 feet) for some coastal voyages. Scattered everywhere, in small cities, even, are people worth 8 figures. Not as uncommon as one would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 08:11 AM

I actually have a serious question here. Are the homeless in SF, for instance, counted in the census? Well, of course they are. Is their lack of income not factored in, when assessing how wealthy an area is?? Because walking through SF (for example), one certainly could get an entirely different impression of wealth.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:17 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I actually have a serious question here. Are the homeless in SF, for instance, counted in the census? Well, of course they are. Is their lack of income not factored in, when assessing how wealthy an area is?? Because walking through SF (for example), one certainly could get an entirely different impression of wealth.
So typically anywhere you have extreme wealth and a large pool of wealthy people you will also have poverty and homelessness… unfortunately or at least that’s what the data shows. People always rag on SF and compare it to [insert random city in the midwest] but those cities also don’t have the level of wealth and capital that SF has.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
So typically anywhere you have extreme wealth and a large pool of wealthy people you will also have poverty and homelessness… unfortunately or at least that’s what the data shows. People always rag on SF and compare it to [insert random city in the midwest] but those cities also don’t have the level of wealth and capital that SF has.
SF, city proper? Anyway, it's something I can't get past. I read a lot of news, and businesses are pulling out of SF...I don't predict the best for that city, unless things get better under control. Following on the heels of SF, is Portland.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:25 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
This is part of why "per-capita income/wealth" being used as the metric to make people feel like their city is just oh so wealthy and superior is....severely flawed and honestly quite silly.

Taking the extreme wealth of a few and "dividing it up on" (on paper) on a "per capita" basis to suggest a higher standard of living across the board for citizens of said city/area....doesn't reflect reality. At all.

It's funny how the fact that the suburbs of DC; with yes a very high proportion of what most would consider "upper middle class" high-income earning is somehow viewed in the C-D "look at me" lens as "inferior"... to other areas with significantly higher GINI coefficients "cuz we got 100 billionaires"

Old 05-29-2023, 08:58 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This is part of why "per-capita income/wealth" being used as the metric to make people feel like their city is just oh so wealthy and superior is....severely flawed and honestly quite silly.

Taking the extreme wealth of a few and "dividing it up on" (on paper) on a "per capita" basis to suggest a higher standard of living across the board for citizens of said city/area....doesn't reflect reality. At all.

It's funny how the fact that the suburbs of DC; with yes a very high proportion of what most would consider "upper middle class" high-income earning is somehow viewed in the C-D "look at me" lens as "inferior"... to other areas with significantly higher GINI coefficients "cuz we got 100 billionaires"
Should we use total gross income? Gdp? No matter how you slice it the Bay Area will look good. Now if we want to flip the conversation to COL, then yes the south and Midwest will crush the coasta

Old 05-29-2023, 09:17 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Should we use total gross income? Gdp? No matter how you slice it the Bay Area will look good. Now if we want to flip the conversation to COL, then yes the south and Midwest will crush the coasta
Meh it doesn't have to be this "all or nothing" mindset so often displayed here.

The chest-thumping goes both ways.

"I can buy a 5000 sq ft house with a 10 car garage and 7 bathrooms in ABC town with little to no career opportunities for what you pay in rent for a tiny apartment in XYZ big city.... you sucker!"

vs

"Well there are 10 billionaires in my zipcode and even though I have to share a studio apartment with 3 other people to afford rent; I can still walk to a restaurant with caviar aioli on the menu ...you peasant!"

Everyone needs to chill.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:24 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Orange County is the wealthiest county in NC. Sounds about right, and I guess the overflow into Chatham must be propping it up which is both impressive and strange.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:34 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Meh it doesn't have to be this "all or nothing" mindset so often displayed here.

The chest-thumping goes both ways.

"I can buy a 5000 sq ft house with a 10 car garage and 7 bathrooms in ABC town with little to no career opportunities for what you pay in rent for a tiny apartment in XYZ big city.... you sucker!"

vs

"Well there are 10 billionaires in my zipcode and even though I have to share a studio apartment with 3 other people to afford rent; I can still walk to a restaurant with caviar aioli on the menu ...you peasant!"

Everyone needs to chill.
My advice is everyone be happy where they are. Don’t worry about what someone 3k miles from you is driving or living in

Old 05-29-2023, 10:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
SF, city proper? Anyway, it's something I can't get past. I read a lot of news, and businesses are pulling out of SF...I don't predict the best for that city, unless things get better under control. Following on the heels of SF, is Portland.
Uh... I know some parts of the media like to compare SF to Portland but they're not as similar as people like to make it seem. SF is home to some of the most powerful and prolific companies in the world. There are definitely issues but with all of the capital there, it'll be fine.

Quote:
My advice is everyone be happy where they are. Don’t worry about what someone 3k miles from you is driving or living in
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City