Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Will happen FIRST in terms of population?
1st, DFW Metroplex will Surpass Metro Chicago 52 44.44%
1st, City of Houston will Surpass City of Chicago 33 28.21%
Chicago Will Remain 3rd Largest City 14 11.97%
Neither, We Don't Know what the Future Holds 18 15.38%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 04:39 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You just have to be smart. I tend to do that like that in the evening. You do still see people biking, jogging and such, so I guess some people aren't as affected as others.
My first visit to Houston so far was in late July 2019 for a family reunion.

The official reunion hotel was located in League City, halfway between Houston and Galveston and close to the community center in Pasadena where the big reunion dinner would take place.

The hotel had a pool with a swim-up bar. Seemed to me a good way to deal with the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 08:26 PM

829 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You just have to be smart. I tend to do that like that in the evening. You do still see people biking, jogging and such, so I guess some people aren't as affected as others.
All of this. Was just in Houston this weekend (the Heights) and it was buzzing with people today afternoon even though it was easily 100+ degrees outside. Lots of people waking, shopping, on trails, patio bars, etc. There even was an outdoor market filled with people. I know Dallas and Austin have their areas like this too. The heat sucks but it clearly isn’t slowing down people from going out in the Texas cities.

Old 06-25-2023, 08:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes I mentioned this before. CSA works for the Bay Area, LA/Riverside, and maybe Boston/Providence. I 100% disagree that it works for DC/Bmore.
Lol. It does. You just don't like it for them because DC-Balt is the 3rd largest CSA now. In fact, I think it's the quintessential CSA of the entire country for any matter by textbook definition, a way greater example than both LA and Boston CSA's, and SF/SJ should just be one MSA.

When comparing to MSA's over 10k sq miles like Houston and Dallas, you have to take any MSA or CSA totals with a grain of salt. Urban Area is flawed too, but probably comes closest to reality in describing a city's urban range.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-25-2023 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 12:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol. It does. You just don't like it for them because DC-Balt is the 3rd largest CSA now. In fact, I think it's the quintessential CSA of the entire country for any matter by textbook definition, a way greater example than both LA and Boston CSA's, and SF/SJ should just be one MSA.

When comparing to MSA's over 10k sq miles like Houston and Dallas, you have to take any MSA or CSA totals with a grain of salt. Urban Area is flawed too, but probably comes closest to reality in describing a city's urban range.
Why? Houston and Dallas have much denser development patterns on average than D.C area. A lot less half acre and full-acre lots in the former. A lot less quarter-acre lots as well. Outside of northern Brazoria, NE Fort Bend, Montgomery, Galveston and Harris County except NE corner. There’s nearly 7,000,000 people and that’s less than half of the MSA land it’s probably closer to 3,000 square miles. Dallas is pretty similar, the core 4 counties of Dallas already have more than DC MSA in less area. Our outer counties add less than 500,000 people to both MSAs, because they’re thousands of miles of rural area.

If anything you have to take DC with a much larger grain of salt. I don’t think Houston has any city over 15,000 people that isn’t directly connected to its sprawl.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:27 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Why? Houston and Dallas have much denser development patterns on average than D.C area. A lot less half acre and full-acre lots in the former. A lot less quarter-acre lots as well. Outside of northern Brazoria, NE Fort Bend, Montgomery, Galveston and Harris County except NE corner. There’s nearly 7,000,000 people and that’s less than half of the MSA land it’s probably closer to 3,000 square miles. Dallas is pretty similar, the core 4 counties of Dallas already have more than DC MSA in less area. Our outer counties add less than 500,000 people to both MSAs, because they’re thousands of miles of rural area.

If anything you have to take DC with a much larger grain of salt. I don’t think Houston has any city over 15,000 people that isn’t directly connected to its sprawl.
All MSA's have significant amounts of "wasted space" due to agricultural/rural farming.

DC's MSA 5,564.6 sq.mi is with 6.38 million people where as it's UA is 5.17 million people in 1,294 sq.mi @3,997 ppsm. DC has way more multifamily than Dallas & Houston that largely offsets the larger SFH lot sizes which is why it's able to maintain a higher UA is density then either.

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-26-2023 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Dallas core 4 counties has: 6.7 million people in 3400 square miles.
Houston: Montgomery+Harris+Fort Bend+Galveston:6.5 million people in 4000 square miles

D.C: 6.4 million people in 6600 square miles.

Even if you cut the fluff and add Howard and Anne Arundel D.C still doesn’t match Dallas in 3400 and gets closer to Houston in 4000.
You get 6.45 million in 3500 square miles this is with Calvert, Anne Arundel, Howard, Fredericksburg and Stafford added in. Adding Frederick the next densest County you get.
6.7 million people in 4200 square miles which is right in line with Houston.

You could still add in Charles and Spotsylvania but get diminishing returns.

But you can see, if we just added Pearland and subtracted a lot of rural Fort Bend which has less than 20,000 people in roughly 400 square miles the comparison isn’t even close. For Houston. Dallas and Houston are just bigger areas than D.C and the growth rates show that with every passing day where both MSAs outgrow D.C+Howard+Anne Arundel that the difference is just getting bigger and bigger.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:31 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Wow, the Texas cities are more dense. I never knew that.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Yes and no. DC has way more multifamily than Dallas & Houston that largely offsets the larger SFH lot sizes which is why it's able to maintain a higher UA is density then either.

DC has 5.17 million people in 1,294 sq.mi @3,997 ppsm
If by multi-family you mean duplexes and triplexes and quadplexes yes, definitely. But if you mean just apartment complexes as a whole I would imagine they’re similar. I just think Arlington+DC+Alexandria carry a lot of the D.C areas density and that’s why it’s denser. Fairfax isn’t denser than the developed part of Fort Bend although it’s more urban. For example Cy-Fair ISD which is a suburban school district close to 100% buildout is 3500 ppsm over 200 square miles. Most suburban isds close to build out range from 2500 - 3500 or higher densities. I would argue that it’s a wash outside of D.C+Arlington+Alexandria vs Outside Houston or Inner Loop, arguably outside the inner loop is denser.

Houston is 29%
Dallas is 30%
D.C is 35%

For multi family population.

If we are talking pure apartment complexes I think Dallas and Houston would have more because a large percent of D.C’s 35% are duplexes and triplexes while their essentially 0% in most of Houston.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-26-2023 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 PM

3,526 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wow, the Texas cities are more dense. I never knew that.
They're not, because he's using CSA/MSA counties to calc density of an urban areas. which are not analogous metrics.

Houston has 5.85 million people in 1,752.69 sq.mi @3,340 ppsm
Dallas has 5.73 million people in 1,746.90 sq.mi @3,281 ppsm

DC has 5.17 million people in 1,294.51 sq.mi @3,998 ppsm

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-26-2023 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 12:44 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

I'm referring to the CSA metric that was being brought up, not the MSA. Houston and Dallas have the larger MSA's.

The CSA metric includes Baltimore and Washington's cores both, as well as, the suburbs in between. Even the two MSA's with all their rural fluff are 9.2 million people in just over 8k sq miles no matter how the land is developed. Development land tracts in greater Houston for example are smaller than land tracts in say Laurel, MD or Columbia yes, but the contiguous suburban development doesn't break between DC burbs to Baltimore city proper, which is obviously more denser or urban developed than anything 30 miles outside of Houston's or Dallas' major suburban rings. Therefore it's why DC-Baltimore is seen as a legitimate CSA, but not qualifying enough to be an MSA. But there's no way we can fool ourselves into thinking that as CSA's Dallas or Houston with over 12k sq mi, or even if that's narrowed down to less than 10k sq mi, has more population than the DMV/Balt area combined even at just 8k sq mi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City