Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 07:39 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I get that... These stats just come off as a bit tone death to those in the D.C area who are struggling to buy a house.
I think that can be said for every metro area in America. Most people in large metro areas can’t afford to buy a house. That’s why they move to smaller metro areas, although, the top 5 large metro areas listed compete very well even with smaller metro areas. The data is the data. If someone living in a smaller metro area is making under the average median income, they too can’t buy a house now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 08:45 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
There are parts of the DC area (i.e. the NOVA and MD suburbs where housing is relatively affordable). Think places like Charles County, West Virginia, far out in VA etc. That plus high wages is why DC isn't as bad as some of expensive MSAs.

Old 06-09-2023, 09:33 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yep. The most fascinating trend to watch beginning this decade will be how decreasing affordability in the Sun Belt will play out in terms of impacts to growth/in-migration that has been historically predicated on being a "bargain."

My theory is migration is going to begin to equalize at some point, whereby there will be less and less of a competitive cost advantage for north-to-south migration, and in more and more cases, a cost disadvantage.

We shall see.
Sun Belt is large, and cities are aplenty.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:02 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
This is the correct way it should be calculated

Old 06-09-2023, 12:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Is this a joke??? Obviously people on average make a lot of money in D.C. But for those who don't you can forget about buying a house.
Sounds like every city in the nation right?

Old 06-09-2023, 12:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
There are parts of the DC area (i.e. the NOVA and MD suburbs where housing is relatively affordable). Think places like Charles County, West Virginia, far out in VA etc. That plus high wages is why DC isn't as bad as some of expensive MSAs.
There's no such thing as Charles County, WV. You mean Charles Town?

DC city proper is building a ton of housing though. Far more than other cities of its size. It's one of the few areas the City Government is competent in. DC has a donut shape to growth. The city proper, Arlington and Alexandria are building tons of apartments and condos.

Then you get to the NIMBY heartland like Fairfax and Montgomery County where growth has collapsed and population is even in decline. Then you get the exurbs like Loudoun and Frederick that are booming again. Places like Jefferson County, Fauquier County and Calvert County are low growth. The latter two are even rural NIMBY themselves.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:28 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

DC city proper is building a ton of housing though. Far more than other cities of its size. It's one of the few areas the City Government is competent in. DC has a donut shape to growth. The city proper, Arlington and Alexandria are building tons of apartments and condos.

Then you get to the NIMBY heartland like Fairfax and Montgomery County where growth has collapsed and population is even in decline. Then you get the exurbs like Loudoun and Frederick that are booming again. Places like Jefferson County, Fauquier County and Calvert County are low growth. The latter two are even rural NIMBY themselves.
I meant "Charles County (MD), West Virginia, far out in VA etc. "

Old 06-09-2023, 04:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
I get that... These stats just come off as a bit tone death to those in the D.C area who are struggling to buy a house.
Facts are facts. Should we only discuss facts that make people feel good?

Old 06-09-2023, 05:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 795,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Don't forget about Stafford Co and northern Spotsylvania Co which are also growing like crazy, despite I-95 being a parking lot from Fredericksburg to Springfield.

Meanwhile Frederick Co MD is having new construction left and right (I live in one of those ) and is far and away the fastest growing county in Maryland. Still getting outpace by LoCo across the Potomac, though.

You are correct about Fauquier VA and Calvert MD, though. Then there is Jefferson Co WV which IMHO suffer for being in WV.

Side note - Baltimore MSA is even more affordable using that metric (2.5x house price to income ratio), although there is definitely a big difference between Howard Co (expensive) and Harford Co (somewhat nice and cheap but away from DC), then there is the rural NIMBYs in Carroll Co MD who is really scared of certain demographics moving across the county line.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:03 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Sun Belt is large, and cities are aplenty.
This true of the North as well. There are plenty of affordable cities with great urban bones.

I agree with Duderino. It's impossible to say when the shift will take place. I can't believe so many people continue to flock to Florida with the insane rising CoL, congestion, and natural disaster risk. But, I think it will happen at some point. The overall risk climate change will pose to the southern and western half of the US relative to the Midwest and Northeast will be interesting to observe. I believe in the decades to come, people will be less likely to move south and west for weather-related reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City