Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 07:54 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times

Advertisements

Charleston blows Savannah away in terms of living there. It's really not close. Charleston costs a lot more tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:27 AM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Charleston blows Savannah away in terms of living there. It's really not close. Charleston costs a lot more tho

Elaborate?

Old 09-28-2023, 07:27 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
No way.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:07 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Maybe for some people but not all. It's one of those subjective things. Personally if I had to choose to live in one of them I'd choose Savannah but maybe because I'm more familiar with it and I have to tendency to stick to what I know. For living I'd probably look at the Pooler or Richmond Hill areas. The latter is not cheap either as most of the houses are in the $400-500's.

If I had to live anywhere in SC it would probably be Greenville. Speaking of which, I forgot to mention in my last post but even though Charleston is the biggest city/metro in SC, Columbia and Greenville appear larger since their downtown areas look bigger, with taller buildings. But they don't have the dwarfing effect like Atlanta does to the other GA cities.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Maybe for some people but not all. It's one of those subjective things. Personally if I had to choose to live in one of them I'd choose Savannah but maybe because I'm more familiar with it and I have to tendency to stick to what I know. For living I'd probably look at the Pooler or Richmond Hill areas. The latter is not cheap either as most of the houses are in the $400-500's.

If I had to live anywhere in SC it would probably be Greenville. Speaking of which, I forgot to mention in my last post but even though Charleston is the biggest city/metro in SC, Columbia and Greenville appear larger since their downtown areas look bigger, with taller buildings. But they don't have the dwarfing effect like Atlanta does to the other GA cities.
Greenville is the largest metro, followed by Columbia, Charleston is the third largest metro.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Greenville is the largest metro, followed by Columbia, Charleston is the third largest metro.
That I didn't know. I was thinking Charleston was the closest to the 1 mil mark but after looking it up I see that Greenville is just shy of it, and might cross it soon. Columbia has slightly more than Charleston but Charleston could potentially pass it depending on the growth rates.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:59 AM

85 posts, read 113,402 times
Charleston has a lot of charm, relatively strong economy and job market, decent cost-of-living, some tech jobs, constant government money from air force jobs and ancillary employment, quite a few tourist and local attractions, and is right on the ocean.

I can't say much about Savannah since I haven't visited. It's a tad more inland, certainly cheaper... yeah, I don't really know much about the city.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:18 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
This is a tough one.

I prefer the historic city of Savannah over Charleston, but I prefer Charleston's suburbs to Savannah's by a lot. The other thing that is hard to ignore is that the food in Charleston is not only better than Savannah by a lot but it's some of the best in the country. I'm a Georgia boy though, so Savannah is always going to win in my heart.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is a tough one.

I prefer the historic city of Savannah over Charleston, but I prefer Charleston's suburbs to Savannah's by a lot. The other thing that is hard to ignore is that the food in Charleston is not only better than Savannah by a lot but it's some of the best in the country. I'm a Georgia boy though, so Savannah is always going to win in my heart.
The only suburb I'm familiar with is Mount Pleasant simply because I got a hotel there cheaper than in the city, but that's a nice area. It's also not far from Sullivan's Island.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That I didn't know. I was thinking Charleston was the closest to the 1 mil mark but after looking it up I see that Greenville is just shy of it, and might cross it soon. Columbia has slightly more than Charleston but Charleston could potentially pass it depending on the growth rates.
The Upstate region as a whole (Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson) has long been the most populous in SC. For a time, it constituted a singular MSA but was broken up after the 2000 Census into three individual MSAs with each being the primary city of its metro and they then constituted the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA which continues to the present. After that, Columbia became the largest MSA until revisions after the 2010 Census combined Greenville and Anderson into a singular MSA.

As is, it's pretty certain that Charleston's MSA high growth rate will push it past Columbia's to become the second-largest in the state this decade. However the geography of the Lowcountry is a limiting factor and that's a constraint that neither Columbia or Greenville have. This is why Charleston lacks a CSA unlike the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City