Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:08 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We have always overshadowed and ignored who we are within the guise that we are a "Gov't town'. Perhaps, if we didn't have State Gov't we may actually could have gone the way of Austin, Portland, Denver in terms of the private sector. Still yet, we are not that far behind them...for a "Gov't town".
You do realize that Austin and Denver are also state capitals, right?

Tbh I don't know if I understand who is hating on Sacramento? I've really never heard anything particularly bad about it. Growing up I knew about Sacramento the most from the Kings and Tupac! I feel like most would say that Sacramento is in fact a peer of Austin and Portland (and in Austin's case it's only recently that we have caught up with Sacramento).

Last edited by whereiend; 06-26-2023 at 12:19 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 12:18 AM

765 posts, read 898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yep, but Sacramento has always been more than just State gov't. Without State gov't, Sacramento would have been more than Fresno without state gov't.

Sacramento has always had a high-tech of the day, Railroad industry, Ag research and development, Military industry - thousands of civilian employees maintained and worked the latest in high-tech airplanes in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's at McCleaan AFB. Another thousand of employees created and developed the latest in high-tech at Aerojet Rocket Corp; building, developing rockets in the 50's, 60's til the end of the 20th century and into the 21 century in Sacramento County.

Currently, The biggest train factory in America of locomotives and train cars is located in the city of Sacramento - Siemens of North America.

UC Davis and its affiliates are researching and developing many many different technologies in Bio, Health Science, Ag, Vet & Animal Medicine...some pioneering developments. Media-The McClatchy Corp. in Sacramento was huge and a pioneer in the Newpaper Industry throughout the 20th Century. KCRA-Quite the pioneer in television news and media considering the size of Sacramento back in the day.

We have always overshadowed and ignored who we are within the guise that we are a "Gov't town'. Perhaps, if we didn't have State Gov't we may actually could have gone the way of Austin, Portland, Denver in terms of the private sector. Still yet, we are not that far behind them...for a "Gov't town".
To me it feels on par with Portland and Denver. I haven't been to Austin but The 3 seem to be in the same tier. Sacramento is 100% in that tier and I had no idea until moving to NorCal. I've had the chance to spend lots of time in the city the past two months. It has a cute yet functional and expansive light rail system. It seems to have decent ridership, and a diverse crowd of riders. The city is lively. Not busy or crowded, but there is plenty going on at all times. In almost every neighborhood. It has a unique charm and visible history. I can see how it was influenced by the gold rush and then how it continued to be laid out. Some of it's suburbs are historic on their own. See Folsom, Davis (not a suburb necessarily but tied into Sac and the metro)

Old 06-26-2023, 12:38 AM

765 posts, read 898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

Tbh I don't know if I understand who is hating on Sacramento? I've really never heard anything particularly bad about it. Growing up I knew about Sacramento the most from the Kings and Tupac! I feel like most would say that Sacramento is in fact a peer of Austin and Portland (and in Austin's case it's only recently that we have caught up with Sacramento).
I have only heard a couple people talk it down in my lifetime, not enough to have a major impact. I just think it's really overshadowed. Like so much more so than I anticipated. If you put Sac in Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico people would be really gassing it up. And it's a metro of 2,397,382. Compare that to..
Denver: 2,931,000
Portland: 2,220,000
Austin: 2,421,115
Vancouver BC: 2,642,825

It has mostly just been a city in NorCal that rarely comes up in conversation, at least in my Puget Sound circle. You'd pass through it, or you were from there, and knew it was the capitol . It's nicer than most other places I've been to in the U.S. tbh And it has amazing weather, much better than Seattle-Tacoma imo. You can pick an orange off the tree for breakfast, and it is the farm to fork capitol. I thought that was kind of gimicky branding at first but everything is right next door in terms of food products. Also Davis is playing a big role in shaping the future of how we eat. It's flat but you're right next to geological wonders. Volcanoes to the North (Lassen Volcanic National Park), beaches (Point Reyes), Redwoods, San Francisco, Tahoe, a variety of micro climates... It's just wildly underrated is all and it really caught me off guard. It made me say wow, this is really nice and special.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:01 AM

6,891 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Quote:

Ya I know they are state capitols, but, in Austins case, a darling of the media, Hollywood, and high-tech. Denver is the one and only big city in Colorado, with no real competition within the same state. Neither has a SF, Oakland, Silicon Valley and all its pull at their side-door.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-26-2023 at 01:30 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 01:54 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:

Eh... that's a stretch, IMO. Same with being a peer of Denver. It's an underrated city compared to the rest of California, sure. I just don't really get the "big city with a lot going on" vibe there. Its large MSA population aside, it feels more like a peer of Spokane, Boise, or Salt Lake City.

The neighborhoods are a big factor. Portland and Denver have dozens of named, walkable neighborhoods with their own atmospheres and commercial corridors. Sacramento has like, 5.

What I will say is that it may be the nation's best "weekend road trip" city. You have all the national parks in northern/central CA, Reno/Lake Tahoe, and the Bay Area all within 2-5 hours, and you don't have to brave that much traffic to get out of the city.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:01 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I was also struggling to find it on street view. But on a clear/ semi clear day it is very noticeable. I think the camera used may have more of a focus on immediate surroundings. Mt. Rainier is truly a gargantuan cosmic entity.

I found some pics that I think accurately represent the scale of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...er=0&entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...er=0&entry=ttu

Also the Olympics which are more visible from the Northend

While Tacoma will always be seen as Seattle's little brother. I do think it is starting to get recognition in its own right.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:56 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Underrated:

-Greensboro NC
-Buffalo NY
-West Hartford CT

Old 06-26-2023, 09:18 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Underrated:

-Greensboro NC
-Buffalo NY
-West Hartford CT
It is unfortunate that Greensboro will always be over shadowed by Raleigh and Charlotte now. It was once the largest most prominent city in the state and it is still growing. It definitely deserves mention when discussing underrated cities. As does Sacramento which OP mentioned.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:19 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Lancaster, PA.

Great small city.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:26 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It is unfortunate that Greensboro will always be over shadowed by Raleigh and Charlotte now. It was once the largest most prominent city in the state and it is still growing. It definitely deserves mention when discussing underrated cities. As does Sacramento which OP mentioned.
So true. Great food Scene. Cool downtown.

I much preferred over Raleigh. Must say, I really enjoyed living there. Would do it again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City