Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 08:45 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
As for Pittsburgh -- yes, it's a nice midsized-major city with a lot going for it... But I think it tends to get way out-sized love on C-D for some reason. Oh well.
It's aesthetic. Pittsburgh is a nice city to look at for both scenery and architecture and it's not overly gentrified. It has a look and setting unlike any other US City. It's got old world grit but also pretty safe and its size is easy to manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 04:37 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s a tough one.

NYC is out for me as it’s basically my least favorite place in the country, and possibly in the world. Cliché, rude, unrelatable, expensive, parochial. No thanks.

DC is an amazing place, though. I could spend weeks there and just be scratching the surface. I do t think most people quite know what a great spot this is for food, either.

Pittsburgh is maybe the dark horse. I don’t find it interesting at all, but it sounds like it’s a golden opportunity for you to go and find out how you feel about it.
Never imagined that the NYC could be described as “parochial”.

Wonder if you stayed on Staten Island or Queens?

Old 07-14-2023, 07:00 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Are you kidding? Who doesn't remember this famous magazine cover:

https://brilliantmaps.com/new-yorkers-world/

Old 07-14-2023, 07:14 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Yeah, New York is infamous for the mentality that there's the neighborhood, the city and then the rest of the world.

It's very typical for the by far biggest cities in their respective countries. Londoners are basically the same way.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:25 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Funny that the poster you responded to describes New York as "Cliché, rude, unrelatable, expensive, parochial.", yet finds DC to be the most amazing city.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:14 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Funny that the poster you responded to describes New York as "Cliché, rude, unrelatable, expensive, parochial.", yet finds DC to be the most amazing city.
“The most amazing” would be an overstatement, but it’s got a lot more cheap fun than I’d have ever imagined, and if you’re not a legislator or a staffer for a lot of the DC elite, it lacks the parochial qualities a lot of the Northeast has. I do consider DC to be the northeast, but it’s filled with a lot of people from a lot of places am despite a lot of the overly grandiose architecture of any capital city, a lot of it is quite beautiful and much more human scale than NYC, and less frustrating to get around as well.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Are you kidding? Who doesn't remember this famous magazine cover:

https://brilliantmaps.com/new-yorkers-world/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yeah, New York is infamous for the mentality that there's the neighborhood, the city and then the rest of the world.

It's very typical for the by far biggest cities in their respective countries. Londoners are basically the same way.
That’s pretty much it. What sealed the deal for me was an NPR piece many years ago about a lacrosse tournament in upstate NY. It was IIRC a WNYC produced segment. The reporter was gushing about this big cultural thing on Seneca lands, perhaps doing a lot of due diligence for covering Native American activities, but I don’t think it connects with a lot of the country where lacrosse is something we may have heard of but haven’t seen, schools don’t have lacrosse teams, etc. it would have been a great regional story, but translated poorly as a national one. That’s the kind of lack of awareness which I find makes NYC in particular a parochial place, although a lot of the whole northeast shares that to some extent.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:28 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That’s pretty much it. What sealed the deal for me was an NPR piece many years ago about a lacrosse tournament in upstate NY. It was IIRC a WNYC produced segment. The reporter was gushing about this big cultural thing on Seneca lands, perhaps doing a lot of due diligence for covering Native American activities, but I don’t think it connects with a lot of the country where lacrosse is something we may have heard of but haven’t seen, schools don’t have lacrosse teams, etc. it would have been a great regional story, but translated poorly as a national one. That’s the kind of lack of awareness which I find makes NYC in particular a parochial place, although a lot of the whole northeast shares that to some extent.
Actually, Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. So, perhaps that is why you may have come to that conclusion, if you aren't familiar with that fact. https://pbla.com/news/how-lacrosse-b...growing-sport/

https://athelogroup.com/blog/a-sport-on-the-rise/

https://blog.gitnux.com/lacrosse-popularity-statistics/

As for the actual topic, I'd say to go with Pittsburgh, just for something different, if nothing else.

Old 07-15-2023, 06:31 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
So yall convinced me to book that flight to Pittsburgh. The more research and videos I saw the more I loved the idea of traveling to Pittsburgh solo. Thanks for all the good information! I can't prop enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Why is Pittsburgh out of your comfort zone? Also why not Philadelphia? It is very compact and you can check a lot of things off your list in a day. The museums are likely better.

DC has changed a lot and you can probably kill the whole weekend just visiting the new museums. NYC has new museums open in the past decade too and I bet there are things you missed in your 2012 visit. You're right though that you'd be spreading yourself too thin in NYC for just a weekend.

What about cities that are further south and closer to you so you spend less time on the flight? May is comfortable in most of the south.
The only I reason I said Pittsburgh might be out of my comfort zone is because I never been compared to the other cities. And Imma be all the way honest, I don't know as much about it and on the surface it seems so predominately White that as a Black tourist I might stick out more compared to the other 2. BUT, I adapt very well in other places so don't take that as me only wanting to visit places with a lot of color. My interest is all the way in on Pittsburgh. Can't judge a place until I visit so yeah.

As far as why not Philly? Well me and my Wife already visited Philly back in 2020 and had a really good time while there. One of my favorite trips.

And as far as Southern cities go, I've been to most major southern cities so I don't have any desire to revisit these places on my first solo trip in YEARS.

Granted I thought about going to Asheville, NC and Richmond,VA but other than those 2 I've been to most.

Also I didn't wanna visit a city that me and my Wife have on our bucket list to go so some cities like Seattle, Boston and San Diego will be pushed to the side and we'll go to those on our future anniversary trips.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. So, perhaps that is why you may have come to that conclusion, if you aren't familiar with that fact. https://pbla.com/news/how-lacrosse-b...growing-sport/

https://athelogroup.com/blog/a-sport-on-the-rise/

https://blog.gitnux.com/lacrosse-popularity-statistics/

As for the actual topic, I'd say to go with Pittsburgh, just for something different, if nothing else.
The NPR segment in question was probably going on 10 years ago, so the growth hadn’t made it that big yet I don’t think, and the last article shows it still kind of a regional thing (east coast/northeast), so I don’t think I’m entirely off-base. Until I moved up to NYS I don’t think I’d ever seen a school with a lacrosse program. If you’re not from up here, I don’t think it really hit home in any way even though the poor girl sounded like she was very proud for doing something big and finding something outside the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City