Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 02:16 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
And with a tax increase that was approved by voters in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I literally thought after seeing More MARTA that on an infrastructure level, Atlanta was going to surpass Boston and Philly. It was like 30 more miles of grade separated rail it was insane

And nothing happened. So sad.
Think logically about this: What could have possibly drastically changed between 2016 - 2023 that would've greatly impacted sales tax revenues by the billions over 3 and a half of those years. Come on...I know y'all can do it.

And I'm sorry, how is it bad that a different transit option was selected to just get something done? Yes, rail would be better but if the funds aren't there for that I'd rather they do something rather than nothing.

It will also sort itself out eventually once things are steadily back to normal. But come on y'all. Think about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 03:02 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Think logically about this: What could have possibly drastically changed between 2016 - 2023 that would've greatly impacted sales tax revenues by the billions over 3 and a half of those years. Come on...I know y'all can do it.

And I'm sorry, how is it bad that a different transit option was selected to just get something done? Yes, rail would be better but if the funds aren't there for that I'd rather they do something rather than nothing.

It will also sort itself out eventually once things are steadily back to normal. But come on y'all. Think about it...
Jan of 2017 to Feb 2020 is over 3 years. Also usually the tax money is spent to pay off bonds after the fact not accumulate the money and then spend it.

So construction should have started in a lot of projects like the Clifton Connector in like 2018.

Old 08-01-2023, 03:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:

It may be better to be accurately informed than to “think logically”. MARTA tax revenue has continued to climb throughout the last 3 years.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:09 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Seattle is going to surpass Atlanta soon. And they have like two lines of light rail lmao. Shame on MARTA and the city of Atlanta
At this rate Jacksonville might pass Atlanta someday.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Jan of 2017 to Feb 2020 is over 3 years. Also usually the tax money is spent to pay off bonds after the fact not accumulate the money and then spend it.

So construction should have started in a lot of projects like the Clifton Connector in like 2018.
That's not how things work in the real world, projects aren't shovel-ready right after a referendum - and taxes took a nosedive during the pandemic. In regards to the Clifton Corridor, DeKalb deserves some blame for dropping the ball as well...

It's not like nothing is happening: The Streetcar is about to be extended to the BeltLine up to Ponce City Market, ground was just broken on MARTA's first BRT line to the fast growing Summerhill area and hundreds of sleek new high capacity railcars are about to enter service. A lot of heavy maintenance was performed during Covid as well, with most of the rail on the Red Line replaced. Say what you will about MARTA, but unlike some systems they have never been guilty of deferring maintenance.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
That's not how things work in the real world, projects aren't shovel-ready right after a referendum - and taxes took a nosedive during the pandemic. In regards to the Clifton Corridor, DeKalb deserves some blame for dropping the ball as well...

It's not like nothing is happening: The Streetcar is about to be extended to the BeltLine up to Ponce City Market, ground was just broken on MARTA's first BRT line to the fast growing Summerhill area and hundreds of sleek new high capacity railcars are about to enter service. A lot of heavy maintenance was performed during Covid as well, with most of the rail on the Red Line replaced. Say what you will about MARTA, but unlike some systems they have never been guilty of deferring maintenance.
Do you have renderings or photos of the new MARTA rail cars? I know WMATA is weighing in on examples for the soon production of the 8000 series cars from MARTA, and the new R211 open gangway cars in NYC. At least regarding the interior of the cars, I believe the exterior design is more or less settled already.

Last edited by the resident09; 08-01-2023 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Do you have renderings or photos of the new MARTA rail cars? I know WMATA is weighing in on examples for the soon production of the 8000 series cars, from MARTA, and the new R211 open gangway cars in NYC. At least regarding the interior of the cars, I believe the exterior design is more or less settled already.
Sorry, no - but they should be easy to find. I do know that they are QC400 open gangway cars from Stadler, with final assembly in Salt Lake City.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:39 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Do you have renderings or photos of the new MARTA rail cars? I know WMATA is weighing in on examples for the soon production of the 8000 series cars from MARTA, and the new R211 open gangway cars in NYC. At least regarding the interior of the cars, I believe the exterior design is more or less settled already.
Here's a video:

https://www.cbsnews.com/atlanta/vide...new-rail-cars/

Old 08-01-2023, 07:14 PM

441 posts, read 227,049 times
Quote:

Um...yes? Adding more busses will not make a dent in ridership in Atlanta I promise. We need more rail in dense areas like the Clifton/Emory Corridor, not damn busses that are stuck in the same traffic as cars.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Um...yes? Adding more busses will not make a dent in ridership in Atlanta I promise. We need more rail in dense areas like the Clifton/Emory Corridor, not damn busses that are stuck in the same traffic as cars.
No, this will be true BRT running in its own grade-seperated ROW, upgradable to LRT. It is being modeled after L.A.'s Orange Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City