Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 02:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lack of beaches is not the problem. Neither is the weather. Louisiana gives its tax money to its businesses instead of rebuilding its infrastructure. People leave in droves and the rich and powerful don't care because they are still making money hand over fist. Louisiana could have been a rich state.
Completely false.
Louisiana has the highest corporate tax rate in the South. New Orleans itself also has pretty high sales tax and very bad local governance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 02:57 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Sure but Memphis has kept its African American music scene strong beyond blues. It is the birth place of crunk music. It does have a solid spot in modern trap music.
I think the Memphis area's overall issue is that the incomes are not very high, on the average. I think it's one of the top lower income regions in the US, as far as large metros go.

This aspect, coupled with some stubborn crime, is challenging for a city to overcome in general, let alone see a boom in development, economy, population growth, infrastructure, etc.

Despite these issues though, Memphis has had some great gentrification and development to its downtown area in the past few years. There are pockets of the city doing very well.

As a region it tends to struggle though.

Old 07-18-2023, 03:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Completely false.
Louisiana has the highest corporate tax rate in the South. New Orleans itself also has pretty high sales tax and very bad local governance.
Corporate taxes and effective tax rates aren't the same.

Old 07-18-2023, 03:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Corporate taxes and effective tax rates aren't the same.
They are the same when comparing state vs state.
Effective tax rate rules do not change much between states, except for specific programs. You still have virtually the same types of deductions for majority of businesses. Not much incentive to move your business to Louisiana and pay 7.5% when neighboring Texas has 0%.
Louisiana is literally surrounded by states with lower corporate taxes on all sides.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:41 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
It always strikes me that Yakima, WA is only 3 hours from Seattle, along a primary Interstate, with a city population of almost 100k, close to the Cascades and the Columbia Gorge ---- and this is what its downtown looks like:

https://goo.gl/maps/SZAaZe3ya4ezvVwp7
https://goo.gl/maps/jKgX4RyCiMvsaywq6
https://goo.gl/maps/VcxQpEhJ9x2i43dq5

Parking lots everywhere. The intersection of the two main streets in town (2nd pic) features a McDonald's and three banks. Yakima should be a booming town in the style of Bend or Bozeman, with 3-over-1s and snowboard shops everywhere, but for whatever reason it fails decade after decade to catch that wind, and remains primarily known for its crime and drug problems.

Maybe it just goes to show that towns becoming outdoorsy destinations depends on good marketing to a large degree, and isn't just an emergent phenomenon of a rugged and picturesque landscape.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:12 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It always strikes me that Yakima, WA is only 3 hours from Seattle, along a primary Interstate, with a city population of almost 100k, close to the Cascades and the Columbia Gorge ---- and this is what its downtown looks like:

https://goo.gl/maps/SZAaZe3ya4ezvVwp7
https://goo.gl/maps/jKgX4RyCiMvsaywq6
https://goo.gl/maps/VcxQpEhJ9x2i43dq5

Parking lots everywhere. The intersection of the two main streets in town (2nd pic) features a McDonald's and three banks. Yakima should be a booming town in the style of Bend or Bozeman, with 3-over-1s and snowboard shops everywhere, but for whatever reason it fails decade after decade to catch that wind, and remains primarily known for its crime and drug problems.

Maybe it just goes to show that towns becoming outdoorsy destinations depends on good marketing to a large degree, and isn't just an emergent phenomenon of a rugged and picturesque landscape.
I remember street viewing downtown Yakima before, and it looked surprisingly unattractive to me. To the point that even other downtowns that don't have the most curb appeal(i.e. South Bend), are even preferable to me.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:30 PM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
Pittsburgh. It seemingly is a good spot. It's beautiful, has cheap housing and a good foundation to build on with all of its urban amenities. I'm not quite sure why people don't move there. Is it just its association with the rust belt? Not sure.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:04 AM

541 posts, read 556,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Pittsburgh. It seemingly is a good spot. It's beautiful, has cheap housing and a good foundation to build on with all of its urban amenities. I'm not quite sure why people don't move there. Is it just its association with the rust belt? Not sure.
Unfortunately, I don't think rust belt is the issue. I'd say it's more that snow + hills is a bit scary, even if the area is well plowed. As for things that's more human related, well, uh, the airport... has a list of accidents on its wiki page. It's a place that I liked visiting, but its low on my moving list despite actually enjoying it more than most places.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:11 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I remember street viewing downtown Yakima before, and it looked surprisingly unattractive to me. To the point that even other downtowns that don't have the most curb appeal(i.e. South Bend), are even preferable to me.
Yakima is in one of the least appealing parts of the state. Wenatchee, Leavenworth and Chelan are the small central WA towns to be as they are in a more scenic location.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:46 AM

483 posts, read 353,402 times
I can see Wilmington DE having a renaissance given its great bones, manageable size, cheap housing, nice suburbs and easy Acela access to NYC, DC, Philly and Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City