Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 07:29 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times

Advertisements

I feel like some cities have been poised over the years for a population, economic and building development "boom," but for many reasons, it has not happened--or just has not happened yet, due to timing and all the right "ingredients" coming together for it.

Criteria for a "boom" that I'm referring to would be--

*Population growth in city and metro area at a fast clip, at a minimum of 2-3% per year+
*Companies relocating to the city and metro region fairly consistently
*Job growth in white collar sector, and blue collar sector (if decently paying)
*In-city infill growth of mid-rise and skyscraper residential, hotel and office at a consistent clip, year over year

Cities I'm thinking of that seem like they could boom eventually, or their time was there and the boom just didn't happen--

*Richmond, VA
*Birmingham, AL
*Louisville, KY
*Indianapolis, IN
*Oklahoma City, OK

Do you think any of the cities above will wind up with fast-growth on a "boom level" in the next few years?

And what other cities come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 07:49 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Population boom invariably is noticed first. So I’d expect economic and building development in mid-sized metros already pulling in people. Greenville (SC), Charleston (SC), Boise, OKC.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:56 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I think a few have at least had good, above average growth for a while now.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:36 AM

211 posts, read 119,096 times
Richmond
Birmingham

But I’ll add Cincinnati given its mild weather and proximity to some decent natural areas

Old 07-16-2023, 09:40 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
Richmond
Birmingham

But I’ll add Cincinnati given its mild weather and proximity to some decent natural areas
Funny thing is, Columbus — formerly the smallest of Ohio's 3 C's — did have a boom. That's why it's passed Cincy population-wise and is on a plane with the other major cities along I-70 in the Midwest (Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City).

Old 07-16-2023, 10:09 AM

409 posts, read 398,487 times
OKC metro area already has been booming, population increased like 13% between 2010 and 2020.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:26 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Two of my top three are in Ohio - Cinci (and the entire NE Ohio region), and Cleveland. They have an attractive setting and good urban bones, plus in a practical sense they are well-connected to other parts of the country.

I think Milwaukee is due for a boom as well. In some ways it’s Chicago lite and has decent access to Chicago, but also the Dells as well as great smaller cities which I think are great for getaways.

El Paso. Granted I’m biased as I like both desert locales and Hispanic culture, but El Paso is a pretty, easygoing place and bucks the stereotype of border cities being run-down hellholes. Lack of access to a lot of other places will hold it back, though.

Baltimore. It’s got a lot of problems to fix, but given its location in the megalopolis and proximity to DC, I’m a bit shocked it hasn’t seen more gentrification as a secondary hub for federal contractors looking for a cheaper space when being directly in DC isn’t a priority.

Florida’s Emerald coast. It got blasted by hurricanes, but wow is it a beautiful coast. I’m surprised given the military connections that it hasn’t boomed a bit more with that stable base plus the general popularity of Florida as a retirement destination.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
New Orleans

Old 07-16-2023, 11:20 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans
I really don’t know what’s wrong with Louisiana compared to the rest of the South. Like SC, TX, FL are doing well.

You can blame the lack of beaches but it’s not like Atlanta or Austin is a beach life (granted Atlanta has a pretty mild summer comparatively)

Old 07-16-2023, 11:27 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I feel like some cities have been poised over the years for a population, economic and building development "boom," but for many reasons, it has not happened--or just has not happened yet, due to timing and all the right "ingredients" coming together for it.

Criteria for a "boom" that I'm referring to would be--

*Population growth in city and metro area at a fast clip, at a minimum of 2-3% per year+
*Companies relocating to the city and metro region fairly consistently
*Job growth in white collar sector, and blue collar sector (if decently paying)
*In-city infill growth of mid-rise and skyscraper residential, hotel and office at a consistent clip, year over year

Cities I'm thinking of that seem like they could boom eventually, or their time was there and the boom just didn't happen--

*Richmond, VA
*Birmingham, AL
*Louisville, KY
*Indianapolis, IN
*Oklahoma City, OK

Do you think any of the cities above will wind up with fast-growth on a "boom level" in the next few years?

And what other cities come to mind?
I think Richmond has great potential given it's connectivity to the northeast as a whole.

One local city that comes to mind for me is Clearwater, FL. It's got great potential, but hasn't taken off like other areas of Florida have. A lot of people blame the scientologists, but I'm not sure if that's the core issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City