Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 07:46 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of anyone refer to Daytona Beach as "desirable." Yeeesh...

Old 07-20-2023, 11:11 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
it says 'places', but it's by MSA

USNWR: 25 Most Desirable Metro Areas to Live in the US 2023-2024
1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...live-in-the-us
As the kids today say.....

BFFR....

Old 07-21-2023, 06:56 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
This list must have been made by someone fantasizing about a beach vacation.

11 places in Florida?
Honolulu? The parks and many beaches there are covered with tents, completely given over to homeless encampments.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Myrtle Beach is getting some love - up from #18 last year to #1. Charleston, too - up from #53 last year to #23.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:32 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Myrtle Beach is getting some love - up from #18 last year to #1. Charleston, too - up from #53 last year to #23.
I find it odd that Myrtle Beach would be ahead of Charleston? But then again, Daytona, so what do I know...

Either way, this list doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but then again, everything is subjective anyway. I would probably just stack rank places based on cost of real estate to get a more data-driven desirability list, since at the end of the day supply vs. demand (thus 'desirability') will drive price (and remove any subjectivity).

Old 07-21-2023, 07:42 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I find it odd that Myrtle Beach would be ahead of Charleston? But then again, Daytona, so what do I know...

Either way, this list doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but then again, everything is subjective anyway. I would probably just stack rank places based on cost of real estate to get a more data-driven desirability list, since at the end of the day supply vs. demand (thus 'desirability') will drive price (and remove any subjectivity).
Lists schmlists. Can’t live with ‘em. Can’t live without ‘em.

They probably went heavy on affordability. Lists schmlists are doing that a lot now.

MB and Charleston are as apple and orange as they come aside from the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:45 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I live in Florida and I don't get it either. It's hot and humid 8 months out of the year, the housing market is ridiculously overpriced and there is the threat of a major hurricane at any time (lived through Ian last September). My plan is to get the heck out of here and move to the Colorado Springs area in the next 9 months.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:53 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Lists schmlists. Can’t live with ‘em. Can’t live without ‘em.

They probably went heavy on affordability. Lists schmlists are doing that a lot now.

MB and Charleston are as apple and orange as they come aside from the Atlantic Ocean.
That can't even be the case, as places like Honolulu, LA, San Diego and San Francisco are high ranking.

It's truly the most bizarre set of cities I've seen ranked together. The only common thread appears to be lack of frigid winter weather.

Yet again, USNews continues to impress us with their ability to produce completely useless content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

Here's the thing: "desirability" is entirely, 100% subjective. There are many high-cost cities in this country many would never want to live in, even if they were "cheap."

I think the real estate-industrial complex has propagandized people into believing that they need to spend a fortune on a home to live somewhere "desirable." Also, practically every city with high home costs have high negative migration rates, and keep prices artificially high by producing fewer housing units, so it's a debatable point based on those facts, as well.

To me, desirability is all about balance. To that end, give me the places with the highest income-to-cost ratios (i.e., earning power), and I'll show you people who get the most out of life, simply because they're not shackled to debt and money-making.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-21-2023 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-21-2023, 08:13 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I've never heard of anyone refer to Daytona Beach as "desirable." Yeeesh...
Yeah talk about gross. I somehow got conned into going to a wedding there a very long time ago. Redneck riviera is putting it nicely. Eww.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:37 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
These lists are why city data is better than clickbait. Colorado Springs is good for some and not others (for being the list champion for many years). Their metrics sift it to the top, but there's a lot of nuances that can make it a good or not place, depending on who the person is and what they like. Things like security clearance for many local jobs, golf ball sized hail, variances between parts of the city culture wise aren't captured here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City