Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 10:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
The politics, regardless of ones own politics, have become increasingly one sided, which is always a recipe for alienating a good portion of the population. Meaning Minneapolis is increasingly being thrown in with the Seattles and Portlands of the world.

It's also becoming known for being a high tax state/city/region. There has been a general pattern in the US of people migrating away from high tax areas in favor of lower tax regions.
You say this as if Seattle isn't booming economically. Enough with making everything political.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:07 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you bought your Bay Area or Southern California house some years ago and have that 2 1/2% fixed rate mortgage, I don’t get the “not financially desirable”. California property tax increases are very limited. Your housing cost doesn’t increase and you’re paying the mortgage with inflated dollars so your standard of living keeps increasing. The Bay Area is the greatest tech job center on the planet and easily the most vibrant economy in the country. I know lots of Bay Area high tech people. Nobody is leaving because no place else has that opportunity. Berkeley, UCLA , and Stanford are invariably in any top 10 university list. The California state university system is easily the best in the country. Then layer in Stanford, Cal Tech, ….

Personally, both are far too congested for me but I’ve been to both a bajillion times on business and it’s easily the most economically vibrant part of the country. If you lack the job skills to afford the housing, you’re priced out but that is the case for the other vibrant intellectual property creation parts of the country, too.
Only 55.3% own a home in Cali, 44.7% do not (as of 2022). Renters are getting pummelled there by unaffordable & rising rents.

Office occupancy in San Fran is only ~70% and falling, so the city is seen as less desireable by a lot of companies and workers.

Thousands of companies have left Cali in recent years, & may of them have been Fortune 500's. They took their jobs & people with them.

According to U.S. News and World Report, Florida has the overall best higher education ranked #1, and Cali's ranked #20. Doesn't matter how good they are, if most can't afford them:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Cali, & San Fran have become synonmous with the word "Exodus". There's nothing desireable about San Fran or LA according to this:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/05/...y-area-exodus/

San Fran & LA have both peaked, & are now in decline for desireability. People leaving, jobs leaving, stores shuttering, bums addicts filth & crime pervasive in both cities....nothing desireable about that.

Cali's losing its Tech hub, & the banks that invest in the Tech start ups are collapsing...nothing desireaable about that either.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
And I know many, MANY people who want absolutely nothing to do with Florida (myself included).

I think a mass exodus is brewing in that state for a multitude of reasons, many of which are self-inflicted.

This is why desirability is entirely subjective.
Yeah, Florida is making Mississippi look pretty good right about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City