Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most heavily propped up by its top metro?
Hawaii (Honolulu) 28 23.33%
Maryland (Baltimore) 5 4.17%
Indiana (Indianapolis) 15 12.50%
Wisconsin (Milwaukee) 2 1.67%
Oregon (Portland) 30 25.00%
Louisiana (New Orleans) 40 33.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 10:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I voted Oregon. There’s a lot in louisiana besides Nola
I voted Oregon too, and think it's crazy Louisiana is leading the poll.

Without New Orleans you still have the capital of the state in Baton Rouge which is almost as big as New Orleans.

Lafayette has huge cultural capital in being the largest city in Cajun Country. The comment that Louisiana will be just Mississippi without NOLA is just incorrect.
What is left is nothing like Mississippi culturally.

I think the oversized influence of New Orleans overshadows what the rest of the state has to offer.

There are tons of charming small towns with lots of history like St Francisville.

And apart from BR and Lafayette the Shreveport to Lake Charles corridor is nothing like Mississippi. And has distinct cultures from Cajun Country and distinct from Louisiana's plantation country.

There is tons of Louisiana culture left outside New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 01:25 AM

346 posts, read 456,044 times
Time to sum it all up:

- Hawaii without Honolulu leaves a state with just a few hundred thousand people, and no cities, just towns.

- Maryland without Baltimore still has Washington Metro Area spilling into it, including Silver Springs, and significant amount of suburbs with US Government employees. Without Baltimore MSA, remaining state population is still over 3 million people

- Indiana without Indianapolis still has Gary and Chicago CSA spillover, and a remaining state population of over 4 million people

- Wisconsin without Milwaulkee still has Madison, an MSA of over a half million people and a remaining state population of around 4 million people

- Oregon without Portland MSA or CSA is a state with a remaining population around or over a million people with many small cities (Eugene, Bend, Ashland/Medford, etc)

- Louisiana without New Orleans still has Baton Rouge and Shreveport, amongst others. The state would still have a few million people.

Hawaii, by far, becomes the least relevant if Honolulu is taken out, with Oregon second.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times
Without the Baltimore Metro, Maryland loses it's best hospitals and doctor's, many of its largest universities and employers, most state offices, it's major shipping port , and only major airport. Since NOVA is more of a powerhouse than Moco/PG in 2023, I think the state of MD would certainly feel the effects.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:14 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I vote Oregon or Hawaii. Maryland shouldn't have been included in this list. I live in the DC burbs. We do not consider Baltimore our big city. Illinois would be a good substitute. Not saying losing Baltimore MSA would have no effect. But this state functions as if it has 2 big metro areas which it does. There are a ton of other states that would be more appropriate for this comparison.
Agree with you on everything you write here, but I think what trips people up is that the core city of Maryland's other large metro is in no state but is an enclave unto itself.

The fact that it has no voting representation in Congress irks its residents no end, as DC license plates make pointedly clear. Were it not for that clause in the Constitution pertaining to who controls the national capital, the logical solution to the problem would have been to return what remains of the original 10-mile-square District to Maryland. It may well still lie in passing legislation making the District part of Maryland for purposes of Congressional representation (i.e., it gets to vote for Maryland's two Senators and has a district in Maryland's Congressional delegation).

That would then turn Maryland into a sort-of political equivalent to Pennsylvania or Missouri. "Sort of" because District residents would have no voice in Annapolis (oops! we'd have to find another state capital were we to remove metro Baltimore from the state).

But your "we do not consider Baltimore our big city" statement does point to a political and cultural problem with this: The residents of Montgomery and Prince George's counties may live in Maryland, but they do not necessarily see themselves as Marylanders — they (or at least many of them) regard themselves as Washingtonians, and as I've already noted, the District of Columbia isn't in Maryland. Baltimore is the only big city located in the state, and its politicians hold sway in Annapolis most of the time (not all: PG County Executive Paris Glendenning did get elected Governor).

Old 08-27-2023, 06:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Agree with you on everything you write here, but I think what trips people up is that the core city of Maryland's other large metro is in no state but is an enclave unto itself.

The fact that it has no voting representation in Congress irks its residents no end, as DC license plates make pointedly clear. Were it not for that clause in the Constitution pertaining to who controls the national capital, the logical solution to the problem would have been to return what remains of the original 10-mile-square District to Maryland. It may well still lie in passing legislation making the District part of Maryland for purposes of Congressional representation (i.e., it gets to vote for Maryland's two Senators and has a district in Maryland's Congressional delegation).

That would then turn Maryland into a sort-of political equivalent to Pennsylvania or Missouri. "Sort of" because District residents would have no voice in Annapolis (oops! we'd have to find another state capital were we to remove metro Baltimore from the state).

But your "we do not consider Baltimore our big city" statement does point to a political and cultural problem with this: The residents of Montgomery and Prince George's counties may live in Maryland, but they do not necessarily see themselves as Marylanders — they (or at least many of them) regard themselves as Washingtonians, and as I've already noted, the District of Columbia isn't in Maryland. Baltimore is the only big city located in the state, and its politicians hold sway in Annapolis most of the time (not all: PG County Executive Paris Glendenning did get elected Governor).
Good points overall although one of your points assumes that one can't be both a Marylander and a Washingtonian. If that is what you are saying, I disagree on that one.

Old 08-27-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Good points overall although one of your points assumes that one can't be both a Marylander and a Washingtonian. If that is what you are saying, I disagree on that one.
You can, and I suspect you can give me lots of evidence to support your position (e.g., Governor Glendenning), but that waving away of Baltimore statement you uttered I would consider exhibit A in support of my argument.

Washington, DC, isn't in Maryland. What other big city ls located in the state? By saying that, you're dismissing a basic fact about Maryland.

Old 08-27-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
You can, and I suspect you can give me lots of evidence to support your position (e.g., Governor Glendenning), but that waving away of Baltimore statement you uttered I would consider exhibit A in support of my argument.

Washington, DC, isn't in Maryland. What other big city ls located in the state? By saying that, you're dismissing a basic fact about Maryland.
That doesn't mean I don't consider myself a Marylander. There is the DC side, the Bmore side, Eastern Shore and Western Maryland. I am in the DC orbit. Doesn't make me any less of a Marylander. A basic fact about Maryland is that it operates like it has 2 large metro areas because it does.

Last edited by whogoesthere; 08-27-2023 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-27-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean I don't consider myself a Marylander. There is the DC side, the Bmore side, Eastern Shore and Western Maryland. I am in the DC orbit. Doesn't make me any less of a Marylander. A basic fact about Maryland is that it operates like it has 2 large metro areas because it does.
Being a native of Kansas City (MO), I should be a little less nit-picky here, as the core city of that bi-state metropolitan area has been referred to in the past as "the capital of a state it's not even in."

The Kansas side of the Kansas City, MO-KS MSA is Kansas' most populous urban area. However, if you asked those Kansans what their state's biggest city is, they'd still answer "Wichita." And I guess that was what set me off. Sure, the core city of the metro area that includes Montgomery and Prince George's counties is NOT Baltimore. But Baltimore is Maryland's biggest city.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Being a native of Kansas City (MO), I should be a little less nit-picky here, as the core city of that bi-state metropolitan area has been referred to in the past as "the capital of a state it's not even in."

The Kansas side of the Kansas City, MO-KS MSA is Kansas' most populous urban area. However, if you asked those Kansans what their state's biggest city is, they'd still answer "Wichita." And I guess that was what set me off. Sure, the core city of the metro area that includes Montgomery and Prince George's counties is NOT Baltimore. But Baltimore is Maryland's biggest city.
Oh, it's the "big city" thing that you are debating. I was speaking in a colloquial sense. Obviously Baltimore is the biggest city in the state, everybody knows that.

When you were talking about who is a true Marylander, I was saying to myself who does this non-Maryland guy think he is but thanks for the background info on KC as thatbexplains your position a bit more.

"Big city" simply mean't that this area is in DCs orbit not Baltimore's, that's all. The areas merge and overlap but you can still tell when you are in one metro different from the other because there is a different feel to both of them.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:

"Big city" simply mean't that this area is in DCs orbit not Baltimore's, that's all. The areas merge and overlap but you can still tell when you are in one metro different from the other because there is a different feel to both of them.
No doubt about that at all, having spent time in both.

However, I'd actually say that Anne Arundel and Howard counties are either overlap zones or contested territory. Both are in Baltimore's MSA, but there's Washington influence in both as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City