Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or San Francisco for 24 hours
Chicago 29 47.54%
San Francisco 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 09:40 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times

Advertisements

Everything I’ve heard about sf is the city is a shell of its former self
A trip to sf area you’d want to include Sonoma etc.. too much for 24 hours
Stick with a place where attractions are concentrated - chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 10:07 AM

211 posts, read 119,839 times
Chicago is more concentrated. Although November isn’t its best month.

San Francisco is great to walk around though outside of the downtown area and surrounds (south of market, tenderloin)

Old 08-15-2023, 01:24 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
My brother had a layover in Chicago, headed out to see what he could, and was promptly arrested. Took him hours to get the mistaken identity sorted out, then he spent the rest of the time at the airport.

I've been to Chicago and lived in San Francisco. Maybe I'd go for the Windy City...though both are windy.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:29 PM

151 posts, read 87,813 times
I've visited both multiple times over the last year and I'd say Chicago since it's more grand and seems a bit more put together at the moment. Can't go wrong with either.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:45 PM

253 posts, read 122,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
November in Chicago can be brutal

This misinformation has got to STOP! Brutal? Really? Average November high is 50 degrees (F). Average low is 35 degrees (F). If she doesn't plan to spend a few hours fishing off a pier, she will be fine.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-november.php

Old 08-15-2023, 05:15 PM

211 posts, read 119,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
This misinformation has got to STOP! Brutal? Really? Average November high is 50 degrees (F). Average low is 35 degrees (F). If she doesn't plan to spend a few hours fishing off a pier, she will be fine.

Yeah I would agree with this. Overall I’d say Chicago takes it. But both are fantastic.

SF for walking around its hilly scenic neighborhoods and Chicago for its grand downtown and it’s awesome local food offerings.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:34 PM

1,040 posts, read 682,834 times
Funny story...

About five minutes after I posted this, my wife told me SF was no longer an option.

Now it seems like her choices are Chicago, Tokyo or Seoul. Either way, let's keep up the Chi vs SF talk because I bet there are others who might find it useful.

Cheers

Old 08-15-2023, 09:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Funny story...

About five minutes after I posted this, my wife told me SF was no longer an option.

Now it seems like her choices are Chicago, Tokyo or Seoul. Either way, let's keep up the Chi vs SF talk because I bet there are others who might find it useful.

Cheers
Tokyo, without hesitation.

For the original topic, I would pick SF over Chicago for weather. If it were anytime between May - October, I would pick Chicago.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:20 PM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
I think even outside this forum there is a huge love between San Fran and Chicago.

In Chicago I am always meeting people from San Fran who love visiting and vice versa.

Both cities have had to endue from politics (Chicago with Obama and now San Fran with Newsom) media sensationalism of crime, theft,etc.

Do both cities have problems, absoutly, but so do all and one is probably safer in either city when visiting then most big cities.

Okay onto the cities.

My rule of thumb for visitors to Chicago. December -April -wouldnt advise, though Christmas time in CHicago I love. That said weather can suck.

November, not so bad.

Also San Fran can be chilly,so many people forget northern California temps.

I would say San Fran in November, take the boat to Alcatraz(best view of the city)and by far one of America's best tourist attractions. Get a headset an minimum and stay 3 hours.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:26 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post

Averages are just that — averages. But I’ve been in Chicago for Thanksgiving many, many times over the decades. And yes it CAN be cold and brutally windy at night. Now I love Chitown, but don’t pretend that the start of winter cannot have really bad weather. I’d be totally po’d if I had one day to spend there and it turned out to be sub-freezing weather, overcast, and windy as hell. On average a San Fran November is just going to be milder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City