Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 07:37 PM

836 posts, read 1,254,545 times

Advertisements

Both of those lower-midsize cities/metro areas are in close proximity to Boston and Cleveland respectively, just 40 miles away from the bigger city/metro area. Are the similarities more important, or the differences?

I've noticed that - despite Akron having a slightly larger urban-area population and despite it being the tire/rubber capital of the US - Worcester seems to have attracted a much more diverse set of international immigrants in the early 20th century than was the case in Akron. For example, Worcester has one of the largest per capita Armenian populations in the US, whereas I haven't heard similar stats for any ethnic group in Akron even as nearby Cleveland not only attracted lots of immigrants but has some of the largest Slovenian, Hungarian, and Croatian populations in the US. In terms of specifically Jews, and I am Jewish, Worcester seems to have been a way stronger Jewish community, having roughly twice as many as in Akron and having a far larger Orthodox (primarily Habad) presence at least historically. I'm wondering why the relative lack of ethnic diversity in Akron despite being comparable? Where in Europe and elsewhere did immigrants to Akron come from back in the day? And is there (or has there been) any ethnicity with a wildly outsized presence in Akron?

On a personal note, my father grew up first not that far from Worcester and then - for an even greater period of time - in Worcester, and I still have some relatives on my father's side in the Boston area and elsewhere in Massachusetts. And my mother grew up in Cleveland and I still have some relatives in Cleveland - with Akron having no bearing on this either historically or at present, unlike my father with Worcester and elsewhere in Massachusetts vis-a-vis Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 07:58 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Akron will be more black than Worcester and less than the groups you are talking about. But if you are talking about a 20 or so mile radius of either Akron or Cleveland, the northern Summit County burbs are kind of that melting pot.

If being around other Jewish people specifically is what you are looking for, eastern Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) to northern Summit (Akron) has one of the biggest populations (both numerically and percent wise) of any metro(s) in the country.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:08 PM

I'm not looking at all to move anywhere; I'm set where I am.

I've now realized that a major difference between Worcester and Akron, historically speaking, is that Worcester grew steadily through the late 19th and early 20th centuries and attracted immigration from overseas that way, whereas Akron grew by far the most in the 1910s. Thus, in terms of Akron, we're probably talking more like domestic migration from places like the South (of African Americans and whites alike) seeking higher wages in the world-famous rubber tire factories, given that part of that period is during WWI, when overseas migration lessened. Unless I could be proven corrected.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:14 PM

994 posts, read 779,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I'm not looking at all to move anywhere; I'm set where I am.

I've now realized that a major difference between Worcester and Akron, historically speaking, is that Worcester grew steadily through the late 19th and early 20th centuries and attracted immigration from overseas that way, whereas Akron grew by far the most in the 1910s. Thus, in terms of Akron, we're probably talking more like domestic migration from the South (African Americans and whites alike) seeking higher wages in the world-famous rubber tire factories. Unless I could be proven corrected.
Yeah, Akron was largely southern black and Appalachian white growth in its heyday. But Italian (North Hill) and Hungarian was also prevalent (both less than Cleveland).

Now, due to an influx from Asia (mostly Bhutan), Akron is probably percent wise the biggest Asian major city in Ohio (has the only Asian majority HS in the state)

Old 09-05-2023, 08:26 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Now, due to an influx from Asia (mostly Bhutan), Akron is probably percent wise the biggest Asian major city in Ohio (has the only Asian majority HS in the state)
Based on city limits, the 2020 census found Columbus to have over 6% Asian residents vs. about 5% in Akron. In terms of demographics, Akron also has one of the lowest Hispanic shares (about 3%) of any sizable city nationwide.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:00 AM

93,227 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Based on city limits, the 2020 census found Columbus to have over 6% Asian residents vs. about 5% in Akron. In terms of demographics, Akron also has one of the lowest Hispanic shares (about 3%) of any sizable city nationwide.
I’m wondering if the Asian percentage for Columbus is skewed by Ohio State and other colleges in that city? I know that Akron has the University of Akron, but I’m not sure if the Asian percentage is as high. This could be the case in terms of staff as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:25 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’m wondering if the Asian percentage for Columbus is skewed by Ohio State and other colleges in that city? I know that Akron has the University of Akron, but I’m not sure if the Asian percentage is as high. This could be the case in terms of staff as well.
Columbus is too large to have its demographics impacted much by the universities. The highest Asian percentage census tracts are actually in more outlying parts of the city. There is some of the Nepali/Bhutanese community that has become influential in Akron as well.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:46 AM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
All east coast cities are more diverse than their Midwest peers. My guess it has to do with NY/Boston and associates consular services.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:36 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Massachusetts has a lot of Armenian immigrants, my uncle grew up in Chelsea and his parents came there to escape the Turk genocide.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:06 AM

I don't necessarily think that Goodyear and other rubber tire companies in Akron recruited overseas workers the way that Ford and other automobile companies in Detroit (obviously a much bigger city) did. It's interesting that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City