Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2020, 01:00 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

I don't know if a head to head vs matchup between the two neighbors has been done.

This is the battle for supremacy in the Chesapeake Bay region of the mid-Atlantic. Please rate the states against each other based on what is possessed within their boundaries. Go!

QOL
Public Transit:
Universities:
Economy:
Wealth:
Character:
Politics:
Suburbs:
Schools:
Urban Cores:
Diversity:
Shopping:
Food:
Road Network/Traffic:
Sports:
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches:
Economic Future:
Job/Housing Market:
Nightlife/Entertainment:
History/Museums:
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 01:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't know if a head to head vs matchup between the two neighbors has been done.

This is the battle for supremacy in the Chesapeake Bay region of the mid-Atlantic. Please rate the states against each other based on what is possessed within their boundaries. Go!

QOL
Public Transit:
Universities:
Economy:
Wealth:
Character:
Politics:
Suburbs:
Schools:
Urban Cores:
Diversity:
Shopping:
Food:
Road Network/Traffic:
Sports:
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches:
Economic Future:
Job/Housing Market:
Nightlife/Entertainment:
History/Museums:
I think VA takes most categories except sports.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:52 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think VA takes most categories except sports.

So many posters think VA is simply NOVA and also try to claim DC as their own. Maryland including Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Silver Spring blow VA out of the water.

Maryland also has an entire other major metro.

VA has nothing iike Annapolis.

People from NOVA drive me nuts. They have their head so far up their own a that they can't see where they are going.

I use to live in DC (yes the actual city) and I could not stand NOVA. It was quite ugly and as suburban as you get.

In terms of DC metro: Bethesda and Potomac are the most beautiful burbs.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
So many posters think VA is simply NOVA and also try to claim DC as their own. Maryland including Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Silver Spring blow VA out of the water.

People from NOVA drive me nuts. They have their head so far up their own a that they can't see where they are going.

I use to live in DC (yes the actual city) and I could not stand NOVA. It was quite ugly and as suburban as you get.

2nd this

NOVA is one tiny part of a huge state. Similar to Philadelphia with Pennsylvania, except the Philadelphia area doesn't have the insufferable NOVA attitude and much less sprawl (thankfully). Up there with Manhattan thinking there is no New York State outside of New York City...

But, I still edge to Virginia overall, it also holds more natural beauty. But for a "small" state, Maryland packs a huge punch and could make a solid argument for many of these criteria.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

QOL: Tie
Public Transit: Tie
Universities: Tie
Economy: VA
Wealth: Tie
Character: MD
Politics: MD
Suburbs: Tie
Schools: VA
Urban Cores: Baltimore
Diversity: Tie
Shopping: VA
Food: MD
Road Network/Traffic: VA all day
Sports: MD
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Tie
Economic Future: VA
Job/Housing Market: VA
Nightlife/Entertainment: MD
History/Museums:Tie

Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:

Old Town is beautiful. Arlington is also nice.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on here in awhile. The only part that is agreeable is that Nova is not that dissimilar from suburbs of other large cities. Other than that, there is a lot wrong with this post...

First off, Marylanders are as guilty of claiming DC as their own as Virginians are, stop it. The fact of the matter is DC is both Maryland's and Virginia's to claim, The District doesn't exist anywhere near its current form without both states, and both states have had their economic and social appeal enhanced by The District's growth over time. This isn't an either/or thing, people like yourself who are under the assumption that DC "belongs" to one over the other are a trip...

On that note, you said Maryland has another major metro, implying that there is more than one major city based in Maryland, which is false. Maryland has one major city period, and again if you're counting DC for Maryland, Virginia is owed the same, otherwise DC should be referred to as separate from both. But that would be unrealistic, right? Everyone from the area knows The City doesn't exist in some boxed-in chamber that limits the interaction and influences from it to Md/Va, and from Md/Va to it. So personally, one of my pet peeves on here isn't something you said, bit the fact that there are posters on here who have this belief that you can separate DC from the two, which just isn't functionally possible...

The part of your quote I bolded is a huge lie. You're basically taking the Md equivalent of Fairfax, Arlington, etc and claiming they top everything in Virginia, when the Virginia burbs of DC are generally viewed as the more desirable, wealthier, larger, burbs compared to the Md burbs, with more to do and more in the vein of supporting themselves. So, the Md burbs are less than the Va burbs, so there's no way your suburbs blow the rest of Virginia out the water. Not by any stretch of the imagination...

Virginia has a bunch of Annapolis's lol. Small city with esteemed history and youthful, hip/artsy culture? Virginia has that in spades over Maryland...

Virginia doesn't have Baltimore, that is fair to say. Besides that, it has everything Maryland has and then some....

While I prefer Virginia by an immeasurable margin, and I think line by line, objectively would bear out Virginia as the stronger and more well rounded of the two, there is a shared baseline culture between the two and overall they complement each other well...

Edit: I just realized this is a Philadelphia poster. You aren't even from the area, that clarifies your post well enough lol...

Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Old Town is beautiful. Arlington is also nice.

Ive been to Alexandria. It is nice. I do not deny that. Arlington is all right. Its new urbanism which is what most of NOVA is. If I am going to choose between Arlington and Bethesda. Bethesda hands down is much nicer.

I just think that many from Virginia think the city of Washington is in their state line and it is not. Virginia's largest city is what Richmond and Norfolk? I won't say they are bad but they are not major cities.

Maryland has more shoreline and overall packs more of a punch. Economically I do give recognition to NOVA, but Maryland is no slouch either.

Southern Virginia especially Southwestern Virginia is very rural poor and depressed. Maryland doesn't really have any of that other than Baltimore, but that goes with nearly every major city in the USA which Virginia has ZERO.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:49 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
I definitely prefer Virginia.

Better variety of restaurants, nore upscale shopping, stronger corporate presence and better flight connectivity.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:50 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Virginia is definitely the better state Imo.

Not the biggest fan of MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City