Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think gets Stereotyped the most?
ATLANTA 33 40.24%
NASHVILLE 49 59.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 11:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

I can remember visiting Opryland as a child and it seemed off not seeing any Black families the whole visit. The Music City branding has always seemed non inclusive to flat out racist. Nashville did it to itself and it is nothing new. On the flip side, I personally know of three Black millionaires under 35 who started in Nashville who have ties to HBCUs and are Nashville natives. I see both sides of the coin.

With Atlanta, I can remember riding down 75 for the first time and seeing all of the construction with Blacks and Whites working on the freeways. I can remember the Georgia Pacific tower being built and the number of professional Blacks carrying briefcases and wearing expensive suits. Not to mention Rich's downtown. Back then Downtown Atlanta had a serious buzz to it. That was the first time I saw an articulated bus and thought it was the coolest thing. I remember buying a poster that said Atlanta The City That's Too Busy To Hate. I thought I wanted to live there one day. I really loved the city back then. Every year we visited, I would notice something exciting and new about the city. Something happened after the Olympics and it seemed that so many other cities started making progress that Atlanta made 20 years earlier. Atlanta became a no big deal to me.

I personally try not to look at tourists areas when visiting a city nor do I draw a conclusion about a city by its downtown. I honestly see stereotyping in every city I visit. Keep an open mind.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 09-27-2023 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 12:26 PM

85 posts, read 113,441 times
If you're a white collar professional, definitely Atlanta. But as a tourist or if you want to work in healthcare, I'd strongly consider Nashville.

Both are certainly on the upswing, though Atlanta has had a pretty steady 30 years. Meanwhile Nashville has exploded during that time frame.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:54 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
... Also which one do you think is Stereotyped more?
Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:06 PM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
As someone who was born and raised in Nashville that now lives in Atlanta I can say Nashville definitely gets stereotyped more. Even being here in Atlanta when I tell people I’m from Nashville they ask “are there black people there”? Of course, a lot of this had to do with the way the city has marketed itself as the country music capital for the past century. Most people aren’t aware of the rich black legacy that exists there, not to the extent of your traditional chocolate cites i.e. Atlanta, DC, Philly etc.

A few Nashville black history facts:

Most don’t know Nashville has the most HBCU’s out of any city outside of Atlanta.
The Nashville sit ins were significant in jump starting the civil rights movement.
Jefferson St. was one of the premier black areas in the south and where Jimmy Hendrix got his start.
Many well known black figures got their education in Nashville(too many to list all) some being, WEB Dubois, Ida B Wells, Oprah to name a few.

Although Nashville isn’t well known to be diverse but as mentioned by the OP is quite a bit diverse, especially in the southern and south eastern parts of the city and suburbs with a significant Hispanic, Asian(specifically Laotians and Thai,) and Middle Easterners.

So yes, both cities are stereotyped but Nashville definitely is the more of the two though.

Last edited by jkc2j; 09-27-2023 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-27-2023, 01:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Nashville that now lives in Atlanta I can say Nashville definitely gets stereotyped more. Even being here in Atlanta when I tell people I’m from Nashville they ask “are there black people there”? Of course, a lot of this had to do with the way the city has marketed itself as the country music capital for the past century. Most people aren’t aware of the rich black legacy that exists there, not to the extent of your traditional chocolate cites i.e. Atlanta, DC, Philly etc.

A few Nashville black history facts:

Most don’t know Nashville has the most HBCU’s out of any city outside of Atlanta.
The Nashville sit ins were significant in jump starting the civil rights movement.
Jefferson St. was one of the premier black areas in the south and where Jimmy Hendrix got his start.
Many well known black figures got their education in Nashville(too many to list all) some being, WEB Dubois, Ida B Wells, Oprah to name a few.

Although Nashville isn’t we’ll known to be diverse but as mentioned by the OP is quite a bit diverse, especially in the southern and south eastern parts of the city and suburbs with a significant Hispanic, Asian(specifically Laotians and Thai,) and Middle Easterners.

So yes, both cities are stereotyped but Nashville definitely is the more of the two though most is self inflicted.
Yeah, Nashville is way more stereotyped than Atlanta. Its largely because it wears the Country Capital thing on its sleeve and that is only popular among white Americans.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:55 PM

1,203 posts, read 791,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Nashville that now lives in Atlanta I can say Nashville definitely gets stereotyped more. Even being here in Atlanta when I tell people I’m from Nashville they ask “are there black people there”? Of course, a lot of this had to do with the way the city has marketed itself as the country music capital for the past century. Most people aren’t aware of the rich black legacy that exists there, not to the extent of your traditional chocolate cites i.e. Atlanta, DC, Philly etc
Well, doesn't help that Memphis takes that image of "Heavily black metro area full of hoods and high crime area" in TN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Traffic for Atlanta is rumoured terrible, and it is very much true. Some of the worst in the US. Atlanta does not have a "right-sized/frequently used" subway/rail system, and it shows.
Some of that "horrible traffic" image also came from the fact that Downtown Connector right in the heart of Atlanta is a gridlock during rush hour.

(Yes, I know northern part of 285 is often just as bad in terms of traffic).

Anyway, I agree with others about the "cultural image" - people often just think of Atlanta = rapper, Nashville = Country music, and the racial connotation of that.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Atlanta is much bigger and it gets stereotyped more as a result. Atlanta is the capital of the South metaphorically in almost all senses. It represents the urban South better than any other city in the U.S.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:26 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Atlanta is much bigger and it gets stereotyped more as a result. Atlanta is the capital of the South metaphorically in almost all senses. It represents the urban South better than any other city in the U.S.
This.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:02 AM

441 posts, read 227,655 times
I rather visit Nashville but live in Atlanta. Nashville is a pretty hot tourist destination, I don't hear Atlanta in the tourist talks much. Feels like theres way more for a visitor in Nashville than Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
I rather visit Nashville but live in Atlanta. Nashville is a pretty hot tourist destination, I don't hear Atlanta in the tourist talks much. Feels like theres way more for a visitor in Nashville than Atlanta.
This is a stereotype and it works in Nashvilles favor. Looking at the list of amenities I see something totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City