Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think gets Stereotyped the most?
ATLANTA 33 40.24%
NASHVILLE 49 59.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 06:57 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Atlanta has just recently clocked in to its tier for tech pay.

Low pay, corporate welfare, business friendly work at will laws are Tennessees claim to fame.

Georgia use to be known for that but Atlanta has pushed Georgia out of that phase. I think?
I think Atlanta is very business friendly. A lot of movies are filmed there because it’s so inexpensive. Tennessee, Georgia, Texas and other southern states are business friendly. Hence the growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:09 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
"Hotlanta" never had anything to do with temperature.
Exactly. "Hot"="Happening!"

Old 09-29-2023, 09:15 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Yes. I get so irritated when shortsighted opinions are taken as facts.
I think it all goes back to the all around Stereotypes that everyone has honestly! Everyone's experiences are different based on what they are doing or staying in a city and living in a city is totally different than being a tourist, believe me. Totally different experience. Example some one who came to the Country music festival in Marietta or Alpharetta, stayed out in the Cumming or Woodstock area for the weekend view would be very different than some one who came to Nashville and went to a Hip Hop or R&B concert like Lil Baby, SZA, Wu Tang, Doja Cat, etc. and stayed over in North Nashville, South Nashville, Antioch or even in the La Vergne area views would be totally different of Atlanta or Nashville... Nashville doesn't just focus on Country Music anymore which is a good thing, plenty of Big time Hip Hop and R&B shows play the city now and even some Celebs that live here. I get the Country music theme though and the stereo type's behind it but after seeing how many Billions Nashville brought in from Tourist dollars last year, i can't see that theme changing any time soon, they may just add more music on to it for an even bigger ,diverse music scene which i can see happening slowly especially with it being Music City...

Old 09-29-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Nashville that now lives in Atlanta I can say Nashville definitely gets stereotyped more. Even being here in Atlanta when I tell people I’m from Nashville they ask “are there black people there”? Of course, a lot of this had to do with the way the city has marketed itself as the country music capital for the past century. Most people aren’t aware of the rich black legacy that exists there, not to the extent of your traditional chocolate cites i.e. Atlanta, DC, Philly etc.

A few Nashville black history facts:

Most don’t know Nashville has the most HBCU’s out of any city outside of Atlanta.
The Nashville sit ins were significant in jump starting the civil rights movement.
Jefferson St. was one of the premier black areas in the south and where Jimmy Hendrix got his start.
Many well known black figures got their education in Nashville(too many to list all) some being, WEB Dubois, Ida B Wells, Oprah to name a few.

Although Nashville isn’t well known to be diverse but as mentioned by the OP is quite a bit diverse, especially in the southern and south eastern parts of the city and suburbs with a significant Hispanic, Asian(specifically Laotians and Thai,) and Middle Easterners.

So yes, both cities are stereotyped but Nashville definitely is the more of the two though.

Another fun fact,,, Nashville was the first Major city in the South to Desegregate, even before Atlanta, would have never guessed that!!! Started from the Nashville sit ins that you mentioned above which John Lewis had a major part in...

Old 09-29-2023, 09:49 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Maybe if you limit to downtown, maybe. Nashville has an impressive downtown. But Atlanta feels way bigger than Nashville. Especially if you have a car to drive around.
If anyone thinks Atlanta is as hot as Florida, they have never been to either Atlanta or Florida or have only been to Atlanta in the middle of the summer. Even then, we still are cooler than Florida all the time. Elevation, a large tree canopy, and no large body of water surrounding us does wonders to keep things bearable. Florida? I don't recall a single time i've been there (and i've been there over 100 times) and i didn't feel like I was going to die from heat exhaustion at least a portion of the day.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:53 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Where is Atlanta's happening place? Atlanta doesn't have an entertainment district anymore, it did in the 90s but thats long gone. Atlanta's nightlife has fallen off a cliff.
EAV, Edgewood, the Howell Mill corridor are all the hot and happening independent districts these days. Outside of that Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Decatur, O4W, Inman Park, and Virginia-Highland are chock full of bars and clubs.

If you can't have a good time in Atlanta then that's probably a "you" problem. There is something for everyone in this town and it perplexes me that someone couldn't have a blast here no matter who they are.

Just say you have a particular bone to pick with Atlanta for some strange reason and call it a day.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Atlanta is a major city and for the most part, when a city reaches that status, the natives and people living in those cities' shrug off what outsiders think (and they'll probably agree with the stereotype and laugh it off with you), it's really meaningless. Actually, they kind of embrace it, see NYC, Philly, etc.

I do think small and mid-size cities are more self-conscience especially those vying for "big" city status. For instance, Atlanta doesn't need an entertainment district for notoriety, it's everywhere. Whereas a city like Nashville is trying to outgrow some of those stereotypes (Hee Haw, etc).

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 09-29-2023 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Atlanta is a major city and for the most part, when a city reaches that status, the natives and people living in those cities' shrug off what outsiders think, it's really meaningless. Actually, they kind of embrace it, see NYC, Philly, etc.

I do think small and mid-size cities are more self-conscience especially those vying for "big" city status. For instance, Atlanta doesn't need an entertainment district for notoriety, it's everywhere. Whereas a city like Nashville is trying to outgrow some of those stereotypes (Hee Haw, etc).

Being from Atlanta, i think the City still very much cares about it's perception to be honest!!! You have to realize in all honestly, Atlanta is still very young as well, coming into maturity. Now NYC, Philly, Chi, that's a totally different level of city and they could really care less. Also to be honest, i don't think Nashville was really vying for Big city status, it kinda went from a Mid sized city to a Big city, it's not a small city by any means. The reason i say this is most locals here didn't want growth to happen as fast as it did, it just kinda happened and the Transplants, Immigrants kinda poured in like a Freight Train with a population explosion not to mention they held back for years here on any kind of infrastructure improvements but i think reality has set in and a change has to be made. I will say it is a nice Beautiful mix and welcoming city for all races, creed and colors which is a good thing. Not what i expected arriving on the scene here...

Last edited by oobanks; 09-29-2023 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 12:28 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Atlanta is a major city and for the most part, when a city reaches that status, the natives and people living in those cities' shrug off what outsiders think (and they'll probably agree with the stereotype and laugh it off with you), it's really meaningless. Actually, they kind of embrace it, see NYC, Philly, etc.

I agree with this.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:08 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,232,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Exactly. "Hot"="Happening!"
I don’t know about you but I live in north Fulton and by gosh the summers are hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City