Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think gets Stereotyped the most?
ATLANTA 33 40.24%
NASHVILLE 49 59.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 08:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Slight correction - Atlanta is known as a 'Gay Mecca,' black, as well as every ethnicity! And has been for decades...
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Take a step back from that.

A Mecca vs. a city that is welcoming to every group are two different things. A Mecca implies that a specific group of people flock to a specific place. Even NYC isn't a Mecca for every group though they are closest. Atlanta is certainly not a Mecca for every ethnicity. Atlanta is a welcoming city for different ethnicities but again that is different.
Atlanta has been known as a Black gay mecca and a Southern gay mecca (which obviously have some overlap).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 08:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Nashville is a Mecca for Kurds and a rising Mecca for Egyptians but that's really the only non-White groups I can think of there.
I'm assuming you mean those are the only non-White (Euro) groups for which Nashville could be considered some sort of mecca or magnet and not that those are the only non-White groups with a presence in Nashville.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:30 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm assuming you mean those are the only non-White (Euro) groups for which Nashville could be considered some sort of mecca or magnet and not that those are the only non-White groups with a presence in Nashville.
Yes. That is what I meant.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:44 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
The thing is that you are making definitive statements about Korean growth on one hand while on the other hand dismissing the ACS as estimates despite the fact that the only way you could say Atlanta's Korean population number are outpaced by only NYC and LA are because of the ACS numbers. Even if we use the DHS numbers, Seattle, San Francisco, and DC have similar number of Koreans gaining permanent residence as Atlanta.

Korean's don't move to the US is huge numbers anymore. They simply don't. It is also very easy to overestimate something you are exposed to regularly. The Indian community in Atlanta dwarfs the Korean community in Atlanta but it is less of a topic. Why? I think its because Hangul stands out and most Indian businesses use English. Its easier to think something is big when it stands out.
You are stuck on this immigration thing dude and it's starting to get weird. No one is arguing that there are large numbers of Koreans moving to the states right now. No one.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You are stuck on this immigration thing dude and it's starting to get weird. No one is arguing that there are large numbers of Koreans moving to the states right now. No one.
You didn't read the full context of what I wrote. I specifically mentioned both foreign and American born Koreans. I am a stickler for data, guilty as charged. I don't care if that makes me seem weird. I will never make an definitive argument I dont have data to back up. But you seem emotionally tied to an exaggerated view of Atlanta's place among Korean culture with no data to back it up, which to me at least, is equally odd. There is data to support Atlanta's Korean community being very significant in size. No, it is not the most significant after NYC and LA as you claim. That spot is reserved for DC.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 10-03-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 10-03-2023, 09:56 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Yeah I agree with this. It seems a bit boosterish to say Atlanta is a Mecca for every ethnicity though it is welcoming to different ethnicities.
Similarly to the other poster, you misread what he wrote.

He was saying that Atlanta is a Gay Mecca - for all gays (which is true) - not just a Black Gay Mecca.

He was not saying Atlanta is a Mecca for all ethnicities.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:51 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Atlanta...for obvious reasons....

Old 10-04-2023, 01:57 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That wasn't his point; all cities care about their perception. But he seemed to be saying that since it's been a major city for a while now with a multifaceted brand, stereotypes that might be more limiting for a midsized city aren't as much of a concern for Atlanta. For instance, the development of the new museum in Nashville is, in part, an effort (a substantial one at that IMO) to diversify the city's brand and image at a stage in the city's evolution when it can actually begin to do that.

Compared to the nation's largest metros, of course Atlanta is a young city but it could be argued that when it was awarded the Centennial Olympic games, that unofficially gave it something close to major city status nationally and that was over three decades ago.
That was my point, Atlanta is a much larger (ie., major) city than any of the mid-size southern cities/metros - entirely different level of everything and don't think what outsiders think of the city in general means much anymore. Been there, done that.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
With Nashville and for all it's Stereo types, I do notice a lot of it's Black History get's over looked big time and a lot of people don't realize it has big time black history!!! From being the first Major City in the South to Desegregate also how it got the nick name "Music City" in the first place. It didn't come from country music but because of the HBCU Fisk Jubilee Singers, their Talent and Queen Elizabeth back in the late 1800s. Another big one would be Nashville's famous dish, Nashville Hot Chicken!!! It's funny that most people don't know Nashville Hot Chicken is Black History and a Major part of Nashville's Black history. The aspects of the situation may not be all good but, lol but it's back history none the less... I could argue Nashville's Black History could be just as strong as Atlanta's in some way's but the Stereo types just won't play out that way in spite of how people in the city really live vs. Millions of Tourist that visit here and what people think. I must even admit living in Nashville is a Totally different experience vs. Visiting, feels like two different places sometimes. I can also see how the County Music Theme and bachelorette's is all about big time money making but i also see how the city really moves living here, so much more to it with the diversity that runs though out it neighborhoods.

https://bittersoutherner.com/how-hot...eally-happened

https://urbaanite.com/a-little-nashv...rs-music-city/

Last edited by oobanks; 10-06-2023 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-06-2023, 10:00 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Similarly to the other poster, you misread what he wrote.

He was saying that Atlanta is a Gay Mecca - for all gays (which is true) - not just a Black Gay Mecca.

He was not saying Atlanta is a Mecca for all ethnicities.
Thank you aries, that is exactly what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City