Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Miami 8 11.94%
Vegas 47 70.15%
LA 3 4.48%
NYC 9 13.43%
Other (comment) 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 03:02 PM

7,828 posts, read 3,419,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Vegas by far---there is literally nothing else to do there but spend money-no beaches, no parks, no public spaces of note-just spending

Untrue. I grew up there. Living there is different than vacationing there. We did not focus on "spending money." A lot of great deals were to be had back in the day (a lot of great food practically free if you lived there). The tourists pay the regular's tax bills. There are normal communities and normal things to do. I remember a lot of parks and outdoor activities. I am sure that there is still a distinction between people that live there and people that visit (momentarily for a 3 day weekend of gambling and shopping).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 03:19 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,927,452 times
A point about Vegas that I didn't see mentioned is that you can also spend a lot of money in very small increments very quickly.

Many people would keep their wallets in their pockets if everything for purchase was individually extravagant. Vegas allows you to dribble money away almost painlessly.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:22 PM

365 posts, read 233,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maybe more like $275/hr But regardless you can only eat/drink so much,

You can only go to maybe two shows a day if you’re lucky.

Gambling is an unlimited money hack. You can bet on every pitch if a baseball game. In 3 hrs you could lose like a million
I feel like among people under 40, more and more are coming to Vegas for the nonstop party, and not as much for the gambling. Gambling is part of it, sure, but it's not the main thing. That said, everything is so insanely expensive if you're not getting comped that it's still a money hack. But if you're not gambling much, I think NYC is worse. Even basics are so absurdly expensive and there are so many tempting but expensive things everywhere. To me, I have the hardest time in NYC for those reasons.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:35 PM

14,108 posts, read 15,144,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A point about Vegas that I didn't see mentioned is that you can also spend a lot of money in very small increments very quickly.

Many people would keep their wallets in their pockets if everything for purchase was individually extravagant. Vegas allows you to dribble money away almost painlessly.
Well the big thing about gambling is you think you can get your money back. When you buy a $50 steak that money is gone. When you’re down $50 well, people think they’re one hand from being up $500. When they’re not

Old 10-05-2023, 03:55 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Untrue. I grew up there. Living there is different than vacationing there.
Right the OP doesnt ask about living there-he asked which city makes you feel like spending money and it is LV imo.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:57 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Exactly. You dont even notice and then you realize that youve blown thru thousands of dollars in a matter of minutes-no other US city is like that

Old 10-05-2023, 04:13 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,642,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its probably because when I am in Miami for work I dont care to venture far from our office in Coral Gables. I do love that area, but I never go far from there. My wife goes there for work more than I do and she is more experienced with the food scene there, but she sticks close to ethnic Asian food and that isn't Miami's forte so I gather. It would be completely unfair to judge Miami by its Asian food. Would be like judging Houston by its Eastern European food. Next time I am there, Ill make more of an effort to check things out.
!
Actually, you would be incorrect about Miami not having any good Asian. May not have as many places or specialize in certain specific cuisines as other cities but that is not to say good Asian restaurants do not exist here and not just fusion (and I did live in CA for 33 years and spent my first 22 in NYC metro). Since you seem not to venture outside of Coral Gables, a couple of places in that area I could recommend to you include Matsuri (Japanese), Michelin star Zitz Sum (hybrid between dim sum and Izayaka), and Namaste (Indian). Obviously, your Asian options will expand exponentially if you ever go outside of the Gables (Wynwood, Design District, Miami Beach). Also, has some of the best Peking Duck I’ve ever had (Novikov, Komodo, Hutong).

The Gables is on fire now with new restaurants, including Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bistro, Levant (Lebanese), Shahs of Kebab (Persian, casual), 450 Gradi (Italian) as well as staples such as Fiola (Italian outpost of DC Michelin restaurant), Cafe Abracci (old school, power lunch Italian), Portosole (Italian), Tur (Mediterranean), Lion & The Rambler, and Zucca.

As for getting one to spend money, any bar or club with our local beautiful women on the beach and mainland will get some to spend more than originally planned—Kiki on the River, MILA, E11even, LIV, Mynt, Mr Jones (Jordan Belfort has shown up here), Hyde Beach, Wall Lounge, Dirty Rabbit, Joia Beach, Deck at Island Gardens, Living Room at Faena, among others. People from Latin America come here to shop at high end retailers that don’t exist in their home countries—I was in Berluti when a wealthy Mexican bought a $35,000 leather pool table and paid an extra several thousand dollars to have it shipped FedEx to arrive in time for a party he was throwing later that week. Granted, an extreme exception…lol

Last edited by elchevere; 10-05-2023 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-05-2023, 04:28 PM

10,039 posts, read 6,741,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Actually, you would be incorrect about Miami not having any good Asian. May not have as many places or specialize in certain specific cuisines as other cities but that is not to say good Asian restaurants do not exist here and not just fusion (and I did live in CA for 33 years and spent my first 22 in NYC metro). Since you seem not to.
He’s relatively speaking. I’ve had good Asian in Miami. But it’s among her lowest for being a big city

Old 10-05-2023, 04:32 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,642,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
He’s relatively speaking. I’ve had good Asian in Miami. But it’s among her lowest for being a big city
Again, not as many as other cities but not as though there aren’t any or only 2-3.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:55 PM

22,773 posts, read 19,397,945 times
of course Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City