Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will see the largest growth/expansion/commencement of Rail services in their metro area?
Boston 10 5.38%
Hartford/Connecticut 1 0.54%
New York City 12 6.45%
New Jersey 4 2.15%
Philadelphia 7 3.76%
Washington DC 18 9.68%
Richmond 6 3.23%
Raleigh/Durham 2 1.08%
Charlotte 17 9.14%
Atlanta 16 8.60%
Jacksonville 1 0.54%
Orlando 6 3.23%
Miami 17 9.14%
Tampa 6 3.23%
Nashville 5 2.69%
New Orleans 2 1.08%
Chicago 7 3.76%
Minneapolis 6 3.23%
Cleveland 1 0.54%
Pittsburgh 2 1.08%
Detroit 5 2.69%
St. Louis 6 3.23%
Dallas/Fort Worth 27 14.52%
Houston 17 9.14%
Austin 29 15.59%
San Antonio 1 0.54%
Denver 7 3.76%
Phoenix 6 3.23%
Salt Lake City 2 1.08%
San Diego 2 1.08%
Los Angeles/Riverside 58 31.18%
San Francisco/Bay Area 10 5.38%
Las Vegas 2 1.08%
Portland OR 2 1.08%
Seattle 40 21.51%
Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads 1 0.54%
Buffalo 1 0.54%
Columbus OH 2 1.08%
Baltimore 6 3.23%
Memphis 1 0.54%
Other 3 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:02 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

As we dive into the 2020s, public transportation (specifically rail) is becoming an increasingly popular issue in American cities. So many cities in America have rail, mostly inadequate, but its there.

But as we head off into the 2020s which cities are most likely to greatly improve/expand their systems? Or if a city does not have a good subway/light rail/commuter rail system; which city is most likely to create a new one? Who will chang the most looking back 10, 15 years from now?

My guess is cities that are experiencing high COVID growth coupled with crippling traffic will see the most rail projects. I would cast my vote to Atlanta, DC, Dallas and LA.

But what do you think?

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-10-2021 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 06:16 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Since “improve” is in play, I’d have to go with New York City. It’s the biggest. It’s in a state of massive disrepair. NYC is by far the most reliant on public transportation. I think it will have the most dollars flung at it over the next decade.

New? California. SoCal and the Bay Area.

In both cases, I think that now that Trump and McConnell are out of the way, there will be Federal money that address failing infrastructure. As the biggest and drivers of the national economy, those are the greatest need.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Since “improve” is in play, I’d have to go with New York City. It’s the biggest. It’s in a state of massive disrepair. NYC is by far the most reliant on public transportation. I think it will have the most dollars flung at it over the next decade.

New? California. SoCal and the Bay Area.

In both cases, I think that now that Trump and McConnell are out of the way, there will be Federal money that address failing infrastructure. As the biggest and drivers of the national economy, those are the greatest need.
With Buttigieg as Secretary of Transportation, I'm hopeful more money will be flying to these projects.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 AM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Honestly it is hard to say.

If you follow transit closely, COVID has destroyed most transit budgets across the nation, as ridership has fallen well over 50% if not more, for two reasons. 1) People are working from home remotely more than ever in history. 2) There is legitimate caution to take transit because of transmission. Therefore most transit budgets have been destroyed and capital programming has been halted.

I am not sure of your reference with how the cities with the highest COVID rates will see the most new projects?

If anything it is the opposite. Cities with the highest COVID rates saw the largest drop in transit ridership, and it does not look like ridership levels are coming back any time soon. Even NYC has seen a complete drop-off in ridership and its budget is currently destroyed.

It is interesting to see how COVID will affect how companies do business remotely in the future to be honest. The majority of transit ridership is from commuters who work in CBDs.

I see some major Amtrak improvements in the pipeline, and potentially some focus on BRT lines in medium size cities.

I do not see major rail investment for at least 5+ years.

And with the advent of autonomous cars it is hard to say where transit is going in the future.

I think BRT's are the key to start piloting an increase in transit usage and encourage denser and walkable communities, followed by light rail.

Commuter Rail is an incredible resource, but with COVID, the state of traditional commuting is up in the air tbh.

I do not see any city making heavy rail investments (subway), outside of maybe LA, but now that is even questionable.

Last edited by Penna76; 01-10-2021 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-10-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Honestly it is hard to say.

If you follow transit closely, COVID has destroyed most transit budgets across the nation, as ridership has fallen well over 50% if not more, for two reasons. 1) People are working from home remotely more than ever in history. 2) There is legitimate caution to take transit because of transmission. Therefore most transit budgets have been destroyed and capital programming has been halted.

I am not sure of your reference with how the cities with the highest COVID rates will see the most new projects?

If anything it is the opposite. Cities with the highest COVID rates saw the largest drop in transit ridership, and it does not look like ridership levels are coming back any time soon. Even NYC has seen a complete drop-off in ridership and its budget is currently destroyed.

It is interesting to see how COVID will affect how companies do business remotely in the future to be honest. The majority of transit ridership is from commuters who work in CBDs.

I see some major Amtrak improvements in the pipeline, and potentially some focus on BRT lines in medium size cities.

I do not see major rail investment for at least 5+ years.

And with the advent of autonomous cars it is hard to say where transit is going in the future.

I think BRT's are the key to start piloting an increase in transit usage and encourage denser and walkable communities, followed by light rail.

Commuter Rail is an incredible resource, but with COVID, the state of traditional commuting is up in the air tbh.
No cities seeing the largest influx of people because of COVID. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc...

Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No cities seeing the largest influx of people because of COVID. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc...
Yea, both of those metros were growing at a healthy rate Pre Covid, I would want to read an article that would show how they are growing even faster because of COVID.

Regardless as I stated above, transit usage has dropped across the USA, including in all Top 5 transit systems, because of COVID, and it will be interesting to see the new business strategy when COVID has passed in terms of WFH and office consolidation.

It could potentially shift commuting patterns in a measurable way permanently and completely effect transit investment and ridership longterm as most transit is used for commuting to CBDs in large metros.

I stated above what I predict the biggest shifts to be, I do not see any heavy rail investments in the foreseeable future besides Amtrak.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:21 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
As a result of the More MARTA tax that passed with overwhelming support two years ago, Atlanta will be adding substantial LRT infrastructure to the BeltLine and the new crosstown routes. The Clifton Corridor line to Emory and the CDC is less certain due to DeKalb Counties funding plans. MARTA is also in the process of purchasing over 700 new heavy rail cars.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As a result of the More MARTA tax that passed with overwhelming support two years ago, Atlanta will be adding substantial LRT infrastructure to the BeltLine and the new crosstown routes. The Clifton Corridor line to Emory and the CDC is less certain due to DeKalb Counties funding plans.
I would be interested to see the plans if you have a link? I am a big transit buff.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:23 AM

9,856 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Houston’s probably the only city to modernly have two unconnected transit lines. Yes, they are working on a line to connect them but I’m not sure why they didn’t just wait.

https://i.ibb.co/0cSvtww/65-C6132-A-...-BAB289159.jpg

Since biggest improvement is the question, I pick Austin because they’re just starting to get a system rolled out.

Last edited by JMT; 01-10-2021 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2021, 07:27 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I would be interested to see the plans if you have a link? I am a big transit buff.
They can be found on www.beltline.org and www.itsmarta.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City