Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL Metro Rank. Has Atl Surpassed DC and Philly
Yes, Atlanta is now 6th largest Metro 26 38.24%
Close but not quite yet 13 19.12%
Passed Philly but Not DC 16 23.53%
Passed DC but not Philly 2 2.94%
It Will Never Happen 11 16.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 09:05 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
People gotta travel more. Americans have a pretty false perception of what 5 or 6 million people "feels" like.

I implore anybody to pull up for a week in any major global capital like Accra or Madrid etc. and come back to their cities and think to which "feels" biggest.
Just to push back there was a poll on which felt bigger Atlanta or Boston? And Atlanta won. Despite Boston having way more people in what could be considered “city neighborhoods”. So your priors of what makes a city feel big are not universal

Old 10-30-2023, 11:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Just to push back there was a poll on which felt bigger Atlanta or Boston? And Atlanta won. Despite Boston having way more people in what could be considered “city neighborhoods”. So your priors of what makes a city feel big are not universal
I said that Atlanta feels like a bigger city than Boston? Show me where this was stated by me. We also know C-D polls are one of the last places to look for objectivity regarding comparing cities.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:08 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I said that Atlanta feels like a bigger city than Boston? Show me where this was stated by me. We also know C-D polls are one of the last places to look for objectivity regarding comparing cities.
Yes big “city feel” isn’t an objective measure.

What you were implying was having a denser urban core makes a place feels bigger. But that’s not how people universally interpret size. Skyscrapers, big highways, endless sprawl does make a place feel big. Most people who visit Atlanta to not just appear on Centennial Olympic Park, walk in a 3 mile circle then leave.

People enter and exit the city. If you fly into Atlanta you fly into a Massive Airport. That makes you feel like you’re arriving in some big important place. Philly doesn’t have that overwhelming airport.,or if you take the AC line to Atlantic City. “Philly” very abruptly ends after like 3 suburbs and you’re in the basically uninhabited Pine Barrens for 25 miles or whatever
There are aspects of Atlanta independent of having 25,000 ppsm neighborhoods that make it feel big

Old 10-30-2023, 12:10 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
True but what? ~75% of Metro Philly is just as leafy-suburban maybe at best “cute village Village center” kinda development. New York is the only metro area where anywhere close to a majority live in “the city”.

I think there is room for Atlanta to urbanize while still satisfying people who want they McMansion lifestyle, because most American metros you’re arguing about a marginal 10-15% of the metro. Cause at the moment Atlanta is what 92-93% suburban. Bringing that down to 87% would be a total transformation of the city proper of Atlanta.
I agree anyone who argues the urban development from a political perspective doesn’t realize that all U.S cities including NYC are closer to each other in built environment metro wide than they are to non-Anglophone cities. Like Lagos has the density of NYC metro-wide and so does most of the developing world. Suburbs mean fundamentally different things outside of America and a little bit of the Canadian context. Even talking about Canada they’ve implemented rules to the point that the vast majority of their cities given 30 years will be denser than just about any American city not on the West Coast (the same rules also make them extremely expensive).

All this argument about Southerners don’t like denser cities is meaningless when 4 million+ folk moved to super leafy even less-dense than Houston/Dallas suburbs of Boston and Philly which far outnumber the urban residents. Even NYC has tons of suburban sprawl and it’s only the scale of NYC that balances it out so over 50% of people live in a somewhat urban environment. NYC’s growth wasn’t even purposeful but has more to do with the fact that it was already a large city with suburbs in 1900.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:11 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
This thread has veered way off course. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.