Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region
Sunbelt 36 35.64%
Rust belt 65 64.36%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 02:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I also think it underrated the degree to which internal migration was a big driver of the rust belt boom too. Cincinnati is 46% black. Those people came from America. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland had similarly huge Appalachian migration to their cities. So much so the fair housing statues in Cincinnati includes “those of Appalachian origin”
Certainly there was internal migration to the Rust Belt cities (and likewise there is international migration to Sun Belt cities now). But it was simply different dynamics. Recent immigrants were a large source of labor for factories (and economic growth) back then in ways not comparable now. Cincinnati’s foreign population for instance was nearly 1 in 5 of the city population in 1900. Immigration today is much more diversified in major non-Texas/Cali/Florida cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 02:36 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Certainly there was internal migration to the Rust Belt cities (and likewise there is international migration to Sun Belt cities now). But it was simply different dynamics. Recent immigrants were a large source of labor for factories (and economic growth) back then in ways not comparable now. Cincinnati’s foreign population for instance was nearly 1 in 5 of the city population in 1900. Immigration today is much more diversified in major non-Texas/Cali/Florida cities.
Isn’t Texas/Florida/CA like 2/3rds of the sunbelt by population?

Like Houston is 24% foreign born, Phoenix is 19%, Charlotte is 17%, Vegas is 21% all not super far off 1 in 5.

It seems like Atlanta (14%) and Raleigh (13%) the only one much much more domestically driven.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Isn’t Texas/Florida/CA like 2/3rds of the sunbelt by population?

Like Houston is 24% foreign born, Phoenix is 19%, Charlotte is 17%, Vegas is 21% all not super far off 1 in 5.

It seems like Atlanta (14%) and Raleigh (13%) the only one much much more domestically driven.
I think we are getting lost in the weeds. But there was a direct link to the economy, population booms, and immigration during the Second Industrial Revolution that was different than what transpired in the post-war boom. It’s not a coincidence that the states with the largest FB populations in 1900 were NY, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio (overlapping the main industrial heart of the nation). It was a completely different set of factors that drove the Sun Belt boom.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:57 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not everyone can work remote. It has to be a pretty small amount of the national workforce.
But I'd agree, it's also much easier to move these days, look for work online before you get there, and check out exactly what it looks like from the internet.
Correct, not everyone. But way more than during the Rust Belt boom days.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Correct, not everyone. But way more than during the Rust Belt boom days.
But over a half-century if the Sun Belt boom predates the WFH movement.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:19 PM

719 posts, read 493,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Rust belt by far...Lots of legacy institutions were realized during the rust belt boom. There's a reason a city like Cleveland has amenities that were made for a far larger city.

What has a city like Charlotte gained from the sunbelt boom? More cul de sacs and subdivisons? boring. American city planning was at its peak pre WW2, as was the time of the rust belt boom.
Charlotte is not boring and I would say it has gained a ton. Including rail transit, multiple sports teams, multiple cultural institutions, multiple headquarters, etc.. I hate this bias against the sunbelt.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:25 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
My vote goes for the rust belt.

The city infrastructure and layout is dense and compact, resulting in many cities having once really good rail and bus lines. Great parks, downtowns, and inner city infrastructure in general.

Sun belt cities have resulted in mostly lower density downtowns with large parking lots, lack of public transportation, leapfrog type of suburb development, and miles and miles of low density housing, with huge green space in-between.

As-a-result, many sunbelt cities are playing catchup, or struggling to contain out of control population growth with very poor traffic and public transportation systems.
...and the end state of this is cities with bare bones amenities and infrastructure, that are expensive and congested without being dense. Don't need to name which cities because I think its obvious.

I'm surprised this poll is so close.

Think about rust belt cities and their meticulously crafted art deco buildings, institutions, world class infrastructure, world record breaking heavy industry.

Then think about the sun belt.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
...and the end state of this is cities with bare bones amenities and infrastructure, that are expensive and congested without being dense. Don't need to name which cities because I think its obvious.

I'm surprised this poll is so close.

Think about rust belt cities and their meticulously crafted art deco buildings, institutions, world class infrastructure, world record breaking heavy industry.

Then think about the sun belt.
The truth is a great ballet matters to like 300 people. Similarly I’d be surprised if you or I could tell the Pittsburgh and Phoenix Symphony. I can guarantee you, Cleveland with a big 5 symphony, Paul’s in comparison to the Tourist traffic a kitschy attraction like the Rock n Roll hall of fame produces

Plus cities like Houston do have world class institutions. From Universities to museums to performing arts. Way out classing like Detroit or St Louis. Easily a peer to like Boston or Philly across the board.

Actually tell me what about Detroit actually better than Atlanta. It’s Transit? No, it’s cultural institutions? No it’s nightlife? No. Its legacy is just that, a legacy. It’s in the past

Old 11-02-2023, 07:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
What has a city like Charlotte gained from the sunbelt boom?
The fact that you know Charlotte boomed and is still booming is an answer in itself.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Sun Belt boom that seemingly started more as a bottoms-up movement that began overlapping with the Information Revolution. I think there’s a lot to unpack there.
I'd peg the Sunbelt boom's origins to WWII-era developments. Military investment played a huge role in the ascendancy of places like Silicon Valley, Phoenix, Houston, Tampa, Atlanta, Huntsville, NoVA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City