Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region
Sunbelt 36 35.64%
Rust belt 65 64.36%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 03:19 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times

Advertisements

Rust belt is 1870-1940 Sunbelt is 1950-2023.

In 1870 and 1950 respectively I feel like both regions had a combo of unmatured cities and nowheresvilles that would grow into major cities but the question is which region had the bigger boom in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 03:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,223,922 times
I think Rust belt is more impressive because these days people can live anywhere and work anywhere (for the most part).

Location and networking/building a resume or brand are not as interconnected. People live in Mexico or Bali and work with clients in North America.

Because of that, I'd say the Rust belt boom was impressive since they had to attract people there and provide them with everything they needed to remain there. Whereas people could move to metro Mobile, AL if they want a low COL and be near the beach but have an employer based out of DC or Philly.

Old 11-01-2023, 05:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I think Rust belt is more impressive because these days people can live anywhere and work anywhere (for the most part).

Location and networking/building a resume or brand are not as interconnected. People live in Mexico or Bali and work with clients in North America.

Because of that, I'd say the Rust belt boom was impressive since they had to attract people there and provide them with everything they needed to remain there. Whereas people could move to metro Mobile, AL if they want a low COL and be near the beach but have an employer based out of DC or Philly.
Not everyone can work remote. It has to be a pretty small amount of the national workforce.
But I'd agree, it's also much easier to move these days, look for work online before you get there, and check out exactly what it looks like from the internet.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:35 PM

441 posts, read 229,763 times
Rust belt by far...Lots of legacy institutions were realized during the rust belt boom. There's a reason a city like Cleveland has amenities that were made for a far larger city.

What has a city like Charlotte gained from the sunbelt boom? More cul de sacs and subdivisons? boring. American city planning was at its peak pre WW2, as was the time of the rust belt boom.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:33 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Rust belt by far...Lots of legacy institutions were realized during the rust belt boom. There's a reason a city like Cleveland has amenities that were made for a far larger city.

What has a city like Charlotte gained from the sunbelt boom? More cul de sacs and subdivisons? boring. American city planning was at its peak pre WW2, as was the time of the rust belt boom.
Cleveland peaked in the top 5 largest cities in America. It’s comparison would be a city like Atlanta or Dallas in the Sun Belt era, not Charlotte.

I think there’s benefits to both booms, and impressive is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Both booms took advantages of the world as it was. Certainly they were structured differently. The boom peaked higher during the earlier one befitting a younger nation with more immigration. But the later one might be more impressive given its drawing so extensively from internal migration. All in what you choose to focus on I suppose.

That said, the urban peak in American cities did happen pre-automobile, so on that score perhaps the rust belt boom for that alone.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:45 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Cleveland peaked in the top 5 largest cities in America. It’s comparison would be a city like Atlanta or Dallas in the Sun Belt era, not Charlotte.

I think there’s benefits to both booms, and impressive is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Both booms took advantages of the world as it was. Certainly they were structured differently. The boom peaked higher during the earlier one befitting a younger nation with more immigration. But the later one might be more impressive given its drawing so extensively from internal migration. All in what you choose to focus on I suppose.

That said, the urban peak in American cities did happen pre-automobile, so on that score perhaps the rust belt boom for that alone.
The bolded part is only half the story. International immigration is very much a driving factor in Sunbelt growth especially in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Miami.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:49 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,649 times
The Rust Belt and it's not even a competition in my mind. IMO, there is nothing impressive about the Sun Belt due to the way it grew in tandem with the rise of auto-centric planning. Outside of San Francisco (if it's even considered Sun Belt) and San Diego to a much lesser extent, no city in the Sun Belt feels like an actual city to me. Give me all the architecture, walkability, legacy institutions, and transit networks that a good number of Rust Belt cities offer over any Sun Belt city any day of the week. While I do prefer warmth over the cold, I'll take shivering over being required to own a car to live my everyday life.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:51 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The bolded part is only half the story. International immigration is very much a driving factor in Sunbelt growth especially in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Miami.
I also think it underrated the degree to which internal migration was a big driver of the rust belt boom too. Cincinnati is 46% black. Those people came from America. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland had similarly huge Appalachian migration to their cities. So much so the fair housing statues in Cincinnati includes “those of Appalachian origin”

Old 11-02-2023, 02:01 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,854,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
The Rust Belt and it's not even a competition in my mind. IMO, there is nothing impressive about the Sun Belt due to the way it grew in tandem with the rise of auto-centric planning. Outside of San Francisco (if it's even considered Sun Belt) and San Diego to a much lesser extent, no city in the Sun Belt feels like an actual city to me. Give me all the architecture, walkability, legacy institutions, and transit networks that a good number of Rust Belt cities offer over any Sun Belt city any day of the week. While I do prefer warmth over the cold, I'll take shivering over being required to own a car to live my everyday life.
That seems to be an argument for which period was America the most impressive. Maybe it’s one and the same, but I was trying to think of the impressiveness of the booms itself. The Rust Belt boom coincided with the Second Industrial Revolution, and therefore was top-down in many ways (factory towns etc). The Sun Belt boom that seemingly started more as a bottoms-up movement that began overlapping with the Information Revolution. I think there’s a lot to unpack there.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:22 PM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
My vote goes for the rust belt.

The city infrastructure and layout is dense and compact, resulting in many cities having once really good rail and bus lines. Great parks, downtowns, and inner city infrastructure in general.

Sun belt cities have resulted in mostly lower density downtowns with large parking lots, lack of public transportation, leapfrog type of suburb development, and miles and miles of low density housing, with huge green space in-between.

As-a-result, many sunbelt cities are playing catchup, or struggling to contain out of control population growth with very poor traffic and public transportation systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City