Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More scenic: NE or NY/PA/NJ?
New England 70 72.16%
NY/PA/NJ 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 07:40 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
You haven't seen all of NJ then. People make this misconception all of the time. Northern NJ and Hudson Valley, NY run along the Palisades and the Taconic fault systems.

What you're describing is Central and Southern NJ which are similar to Long Island. However, Northern NJ is completely different topography similar to the Hudson Valley.

So your statement is not accurate. Only the central and southern portions of NJ are what you describe. The Northern portion of the state is much more hilly, jagged rock formations and the rest.
But unless I'm mistaken, only a small percentage of NJ's beaches lie in that northern portion. I believe that from Sandy Hook south (IOW, all of the beaches along the Atlantic coast), it's coastal plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 07:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But unless I'm mistaken, only a small percentage of NJ's beaches lie in that northern portion. I believe that from Sandy Hook south (IOW, all of the beaches along the Atlantic coast), it's coastal plain.
My comment wasn't in response to beaches, just about overall scenery of the state. Yeah all NJ and Atlantic beaches are coastal plain.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
You haven't seen all of NJ then. People make this misconception all of the time. Northern NJ and Hudson Valley, NY run along the Palisades and the Taconic fault systems.

What you're describing is Central and Southern NJ which are similar to Long Island. However, Northern NJ is completely different topography similar to the Hudson Valley.

So your statement is not accurate. Only the central and southern portions of NJ are what you describe. The Northern portion of the state is much more hilly, jagged rock formations and the rest.
I was describing NJ in the coastal context (yes Central and Southern) and the coastal plain there along with Long Island's terrain and how they contrast with Connecticut's more rugged coastline and nearby hills. I'm familiar with New Jersey's hilly terrain coming through 287 near Mahwah, and have also explored, Clinton, Frenchtown, and Lambertville which are all lovely scenic towns. I didn't mean to overlap the coastal plain into the entirety of New Jersey when mentioning Connecticut's topography.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-05-2023 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-05-2023, 08:06 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
My comment wasn't in response to beaches, just about overall scenery of the state. Yeah all NJ and Atlantic beaches are coastal plain.
They may be all coastal plain but that does not mean coastal plain is all boring and the same thing. Much of that coastal plain is protected pine barrens and marshland. Something like a million acres of New Jersey pine barrens is under protection.

What the Mid-Atlantic states do very well is protect large amounts of public lands. This is especially true of the upper three Mid-Atlantic states that were very early under the gun from being near big cities.

Publicly owned lands by percentage of state area in New England and the Mid-Atlantic States. Includes Maryland and Delaware.

37.1% New York
18.3% New Jersey
18.0% New Hampshire
16.1% Pennsylvania
15.8% Vermont

7.6% Maryland
7.4% Delaware
6.3% Massachusetts
6.2% Connecticut
5.7% Maine
1.5% Rhode Island

https://www.summitpost.org/public-an...-states/186111

Old 11-05-2023, 10:26 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
They may be all coastal plain but that does not mean coastal plain is all boring and the same thing. Much of that coastal plain is protected pine barrens and marshland. Something like a million acres of New Jersey pine barrens is under protection.

What the Mid-Atlantic states do very well is protect large amounts of public lands. This is especially true of the upper three Mid-Atlantic states that were very early under the gun from being near big cities.

Publicly owned lands by percentage of state area in New England and the Mid-Atlantic States. Includes Maryland and Delaware.

37.1% New York
18.3% New Jersey
18.0% New Hampshire
16.1% Pennsylvania
15.8% Vermont

7.6% Maryland
7.4% Delaware
6.3% Massachusetts
6.2% Connecticut
5.7% Maine
1.5% Rhode Island

Great mention. What New England does HORRIBLY is protecting its coastline for everyone. While the coastline is drop dead gorgeous, how much can you really see?

However, this stat can be misleading because like Pt. Pleasant Beach is owned by a private company, which is probably why it sucks so much. Nonetheless, id wager NJ would be a bit over 25%. Also- idk if you can own the physical beach in NJ.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:36 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Great mention. What New England does HORRIBLY is protecting its coastline for everyone. While the coastline is drop dead gorgeous, how much can you really see?
I can't argue with that. I've seen a lot of coastline on both the east and west coasts and New England is the only place in the US that I've seen town resident restrictions at the beach. Singing Beach is often praised as being one of the most scenic beaches on the North Shore of Mass, and it is. But unless you have a Manchester by-the-sea town resident sticker, you can't enjoy it in the summer as access is restricted. I was mentioning earlier how scenic parts of the CT coastline were. But a lot of it is private property with no beach access. It's definitely a New England thing. That can be frustrating at times.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

37.1% New York
18.3% New Jersey
18.0% New Hampshire
16.1% Pennsylvania
15.8% Vermont

7.6% Maryland
7.4% Delaware
6.3% Massachusetts
6.2% Connecticut
5.7% Maine
1.5% Rhode Island

There is a noticeable difference between NYS and NH lakes in accessibility. Where NH lakes region has pretty much a few town beaches around while NY is much more open. But Maine really is quite misleading due to the aforementioned right to roam. There isn’t really any barriers to entry.

In fact Baxter St Park due to limited entries, is often more restrictive than the “private land” surrounding it

Even in NH a lot of the paper company/lumber lands are open for public recreation. This is noticeable in the North Country. But that’s beyond your typical touristy areas. North of the notches

Also for the most part beaches are not considered Land in Massachusetts below high water.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:40 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But now that I think of it, none of Delaware's beach towns (Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island) charge beach access fees, nor do they charge outrageous rates to park. What's more, Delaware Transit Corporation (DART First State), the statewide mass transit system, operates a free park-and-ride lot outside Rehoboth in season (from the weekend before Memorial Day to the weekend after Labor Day) where one can board buses headed to all of the Delaware shore communities as well as Georgetown, Long Neck and Millsboro on the back bay, and Ocean City, MD. The bus fare is just $2. There's also a bus that connects the park-and-ride lot to the Cape May-Lewes ferry terminal and long-distance coach service to it from Dover, Middletown and Wilmington.

And the sand on the Delaware beaches is as fine as that on the Jersey shore, and the vibe in Rehoboth (which draws beach-goers from both Philadelphia and Washington) is mot all that different from that at the Jersey Shore. But there is one major difference: Rehoboth is the most LGBT-friendly beach town in the mid-Atlantic region, Fire Island (Cherry Grove and Fire Island Pines specifically) excepted. (Fire Island is magical, partly because its towns are off-limits to cars; cars are allowed only at the two state parks at either end of the island.)
Great overview. There's no doubt to me that the feel of Mid-Atlantic beaches are MUCH more accessible and inclusive to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds (I mean, let's not even get started on places like Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard).

New England beaches feel more "unspoiled" and nature-focused, for sure, which is why they're great for say, a scenic romantic escape and why they perform well in this specific poll.

But unspoiled scenery is, of course, only one factor. And generally not a practical one for a middle-class family who just wants a low-fuss experience at the beach.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:56 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Great overview. There's no doubt to me that the feel of Mid-Atlantic beaches are MUCH more accessible and inclusive to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds (I mean, let's not even get started on places like Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard).

New England beaches feel more "unspoiled" and nature-focused, for sure, which is why they're great for say, a scenic romantic escape and why they perform well in this specific poll.

But unspoiled scenery is, of course, only one factor. And generally not a practical one for a middle-class family who just wants a low-fuss experience at the beach.
Not that I think this is lost on you, but the entire point of the poll/thread is deciding which area is more “scenic”.

I’m very confident that if the poll was “Which coastal area is more accessible” or some variation, the popular vote would be NY/PA/NJ.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Not that I think this is lost on you, but the entire point of the poll/thread is deciding which area is more “scenic”.

I’m very confident that if the poll was “Which coastal area is more accessible” or some variation, the popular vote would be NY/PA/NJ.
True, but what's the point of "scenic" if you can't "see" it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City