Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More scenic: NE or NY/PA/NJ?
New England 70 72.16%
NY/PA/NJ 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:58 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Why is that though? I think Duderino has a point about New England's superior tourism marketing, which leads to better word of mouth and social media acclamation.

Northern New England surely has some of the "best of the best" for the Northeast in scenic categories like quaint villages against mountain backdrops, rugged coastlines, etc. But, the margin of difference in beauty between what you see in quaint small villages in Upstate NY and Pennsylvania versus Northern New England is much smaller than the margin of popular acclamation.

I couldn't disagree more. Erie feels very different from the average mid-sized Mid-Atlantic city.
That’s just not for Pennsylvania especially is basically less impressive than the Berkshires largely and the Berkshires are basically ignored by those in Eastern Mass cayse they’re obviously inferior to the Northern New England mountains.

New York? Yes, it has very impressive scenery and some things New England doesn’t have, like large waterfalls on large rivers like the Genesee

Also New Hampshire has more alpine zone than every state east of the Mississippi combined. It’s a real difference.

And the Mid Atlantic has like 1 Rocky headland put together. That is absolutely not exaggerated, ricky coastlines almost entirely stop south of Newport.

I also feel like in New England the nicest towns and nicest scenery overlap a lot better. While PA I think generally has nicer small towns than upstate but upstate has better scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 08:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s just not for Pennsylvania especially is basically less impressive than the Berkshires largely and the Berkshires are basically ignored by those in Eastern Mass cayse they’re obviously inferior to the Northern New England mountains.

New York? Yes, it has very impressive scenery and some things New England doesn’t have, like large waterfalls on large rivers like the Genesee

Also New Hampshire has more alpine zone than every state east of the Mississippi combined. It’s a real difference.

And the Mid Atlantic has like 1 Rocky headland put together. That is absolutely not exaggerated, ricky coastlines almost entirely stop south of Newport.
Have you ever been to Wellsboro? Mansfield? Jim Thorpe? Etc. And that’s not to mention small cities farther south that combine quaintness with rolling hill, agrarian bucolic beauty. It’s a very distinct vibe of South Central and Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Yes, New York absolutely contributes to this gap in popular acclamation versus on the ground beauty.

I do not contest your final two paragraphs, and in fact, have argued as much in my former post. I wonder what kind of person would argue the Mid-Atlantic has an equally rugged coast as New England. Lol.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:29 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Why is that though? I think Duderino has a point about New England's superior tourism marketing, which leads to better word of mouth and social media acclamation.

Northern New England surely has some of the "best of the best" for the Northeast in scenic categories like quaint villages against mountain backdrops, rugged coastlines, etc. But, the margin of difference in beauty between what you see in quaint small villages in Upstate NY and Pennsylvania versus Northern New England is much smaller than the margin of popular acclamation.
I typically disagree because it is overused (not by Dourindo just in general) and can often be a cop out. Although I do agree PA and to a lesser extent NY are underrated from a scenery standpoint. I can see why NE is winning it has slightly higher mountains and more dramatic coastlines. But, any gap is pretty marginal in my mind. The two halves of the Northeast complement each other more than anything else.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I also feel like in New England the nicest towns and nicest scenery overlap a lot better. While PA I think generally has nicer small towns than upstate but upstate has better scenery.
I see where you are coming from on most of this. But PAs mountains vastly exceed the Berkshires which is basically Mount Greylock and some surrounding hills. PA has tens of thousands of miles of endless ridges, escarpments, canyons, water gaps, waterfalls, rock outcrops. IMO there is a lot more to mountains than just the height of the highest peak.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I see where you are coming from on most of this. But PAs mountains vastly exceed the Berkshires which is basically Mount Greylock and some surrounding hills. PA has tens of thousands of miles of endless ridges, escarpments, canyons, water gaps, waterfalls, rock outcrops. IMO there is a lot more to mountains than just the height of the highest peak.
While the ridge and Valley are broader than the Berkshires it’s pretty similar in that for the most part from peak to trough it’s ~1000ft. A lot of PA is quite similar to the Mt Tom Range right by Holyoke.

My Greylock is like twice the size of most PA ridges. But the rest of the Berkshires are rather comparable this is pretty fact checkable where basically all the Ski resorts in the Berkshires and PA are ~1000ft elevation drop cause that’s the best you get in the area.

I lived in the upper Susquehanna valley for a bit, I’m not ignorant of PA.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:56 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

In terms of the last part, this again may be a matter of exposure/knowing about smaller, quaint Upstate towns. Places in the Finger Lakes like Skaneateles, Clifton Springs, Aurora, Hammondsport, Watkins Glen, Trumansburg, Penn Yan and Seneca Falls, among others offer some degree of charm. You also have places in the Thousand Islands/eastern Lake Ontario like Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Cape Vincent and Alexandria Bay. In the Adirondacks, places like Lake Placid, Elizabethtown, Schroon Lake and even Saranac Lake and Old Forge. There are places in the Hudson Valley(Rhinebeck, New Paltz, Saugerties, Warwick, Cold Spring, etc.), villages/communities outside of the cities(Lewiston, East Aurora, Hamburg, Orchard Park; Brockport, Pittsford, Fairport, Spencerport; Manlius, Fayetteville, Marcellus, Cazenovia; Clinton, New Hartford; Delmar, Scotia, Ballston Spa, Owego, etc.) and others like Cooperstown and Ellicottville. I’m leaving some out. So, there are quite a few in Upstate NY too.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I agree the heights between MA and PA are comparable. But, the scale is vastly different. PAs mountains are like 100 times the size. You are going to get a lot more options. Delaware Water Gap, Lehigh Gorge, Big Mountain overlook, Rickets Glen, Pine Creek Gorge, Hyner View, Ohiopyle, Shikellamy Overlook, Penn's view overlook.
PAs mountain region is massive. I had never heard of Bobs Run Vista until just recently. There are just tons of random places like that all over the inner half of the state. https://pabucketlist.com/exploring-b...ton-county-pa/

I understand MA is closer to Northern NE which is which does have larger mountains. But if we are comparing PA to Southern NE, I would clearly say PA has the more interesting/scenic/dramatic topography.

Last edited by jpdivola; 11-04-2023 at 09:22 AM..

Old 11-04-2023, 10:00 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Similar thing here. NEW England is prettier it’s just not some blowout but there is a pretty distinct advantage
Well the poll certainly backs that up. But I'd personally only really point to VT, NH and ME as the only states responsible for putting New England over the top.

Collectively, I'd certainly MA, CT and RI on par with NY, NJ and PA, with varying strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-04-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-04-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To some, that may be true. And if it is, I'd personally only point to VT, NH and ME as the only states responsible for putting it over the top.
That is 70% of New England.

And even then Southern New England still wins for coastline.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:18 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
That is 70% of New England.

And even then Southern New England still wins for coastline.
As I said, varying strengths and weaknesses. The coastline is an important feature, but certainly not the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City