Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 12:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Cities like NY, Boston, Chicago, and Philly can replicate the suburbia and sprawl of the sunbelt, but these sunbelt cities will never be able to replicate the urban landscape of these legacy cities.
That’s not true. I’m a Civil Engineer. People keep saying this like…

1. Whole cities haven’t been rebuilt historically. Including New York itself.
2. In the current day, we literally haven’t seen suburban neighborhoods go to dense skyscraper filled city. Look at Rainey Street in Austin. Outside of America much poorer countries have built much more impressive levels of development.
3. This whole legacy city can’t be replicated is an idea that has never made sense. If it was built by humans in the 1800s it can be built by humans today.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:11 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think S. Dallas can mirror N. Dallas.
There would have to be a seismic shift in land use laws and that would take going against a tsunami of nimbyism.

It would probably take generational change just to get the south on the path to building like north Dallas. It's been a struggle for a place like LA, with much higher land values and much more congestion, so it's going to be doubly hard for Dallas.
When I say mirrored, I am talking about being mostly built out.

That's already happening. That's why we have ForwardDallas. It's a comprehensive land use map that will aid in rezoning of the city. Of course it won't happen overnight and I never expected it to. I've always said 50 years at the minimum, but there's signs of change. Hensley Field is another major opportunity too that the city is working on. The old naval air station overlooking Mountain Creek Lake is planned to be a mixed use development. The development around UNT Dallas (mentioned in the article) that's planned sounds great, if it comes to fruition. There's already a relatively new light rail station there too. I think since it's anchored by a university, it has a greater potential for success.

This is a portion of Southern Dallas, I would call rural or semi-rural

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6536...8192?entry=ttu

Not out of the ordinary to see small farms in this area.

Redevelopment is already occurring or expected to occur soon in certain Southern Dallas areas. A portion of West Oak Cliff was rezoned last year (about 5 sq mi) as the city forecasts growth to spill over from North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts. I guess, we'll have to wait and see what the future holds. 15 years ago, no one would have thought that would be the next major area to grow. Also, the success that's going on with the RedBird Mall mixed use redevelopment is great too. That is one to watch and is exceeding my expectations. I honestly didn't expect it to take off as fast as it has. I initially didn't take it seriously since all of the failed attempts to revive it. It seems to be actually headed towards a path of revitalization. If it goes back to anything it was like in the mid 90s, that's a success IMO.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think S. Dallas can mirror N. Dallas.
There would have to be a seismic shift in land use laws and that would take going against a tsunami of nimbyism.

It would probably take generational change just to get the south on the path to building like north Dallas. It's been a struggle for a place like LA, with much higher land values and much more congestion, so it's going to be doubly hard for Dallas.
I think what will happen is a suburbs inward push. Eventually after Anna, north Dallas will just be too far away for most folks. So East and South Dallas will get tons of new construction and eventually the pressure from the wealthy suburbanites will cause South Dallas to start to gain some steam. Especially if these folks are committing from Terrell and Midlothian to the city.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:39 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsword69 View Post
NYC and LA yes, Chicago debatable considering how fast Texas cities are growing.
Correct I think both of the Texas cities have already passed Chicago as far as urbanity

Old 11-26-2023, 01:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think what will happen is a suburbs inward push. Eventually after Anna, north Dallas will just be too far away for most folks. So East and South Dallas will get tons of new construction and eventually the pressure from the wealthy suburbanites will cause South Dallas to start to gain some steam. Especially if these folks are committing from Terrell and Midlothian to the city.
I understand what you and Dallas is saying, I'm just not convinced it will happen as you all imagine.

Dallas has one of the most restrictive land use models amongst the Texas majors.
Last I checked it has the the largest minimum lot sizes and the strictest zoning laws among Texas's big cities.

I agree with you that at some point the march to Oklahoma will be deemed too far, and I agree with Dallaz that there are plenty of spots available for redevelopment.

Where I diverge from the two of you is the wide scale revamp of the south side to approach that of the north.

Then again I did say it would take generational change, and Dallaz did mention a 50 yr plan, so that is enough time for 2 generational swings so maybe.

My thing is South Dallas is not as undeveloped as it is made to seem. The land is almost completely used up, but to a lower degree than north Dallas. Redevelopment would require a lot of single family lots to be redeveloped into smaller lots, townhomes and multi-family.

I know Dallaz could probably point to a large plot here and 5 others there, but that is just drops in a bucket.

To accomplish an extra million in South Dallas, the city is going to have to do more than build on empty lots. It's going to have to rezone the city and Dallas folk seem to be mighty proud of their zoning rules

Minimum lot sizes in Dallas run from 5000 to 7500 sq feet. Austin just passed an ordinance dropping it's minimum to 2500. Houston minimum has been 1400sq since the 90s. And Houston lot reduction isn't just for core areas, it entends all across the city and in some of the burbs.

I can see corridors in South Dallas becoming more developed but that 50 year plan is too far away for me to imagine. I can easier imagine north and west Dallas becoming more dense before any widespread development of S. Dallas. But yes, S Dallas has lots of room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Correct I think both of the Texas cities have already passed Chicago as far as urbanity
Great you are starting a troll flame war

Old 11-26-2023, 01:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
^^glad you pointed out what his post was trying to do.

As for Dallas, there is momentum to decrease the minimum lot size to 1500 sq feet. Tbh, I’m surprised Dallas already hasn’t done that.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:30 PM

253 posts, read 122,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What the F?

Old 11-26-2023, 01:37 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^glad you pointed out what his post was trying to do.

As for Dallas, there is momentum to decrease the minimum lot size to 1500 sq feet. Tbh, I’m surprised Dallas already hasn’t done that.
I'm not surprised. NIMBYISM is strong in Dallas.
I'm surprised Austin took so long to pass theirs after Houston and San Antonio passed theirs.

Houston was never big on formal land restrictions. It was always more of a deed restriction city.

Dallas prides itself more on rigid rules and order.

The Dallas observer had an article last week about a statewide proposal to reduce minimum lot sizes, but that was proposed by a Houston politician, so more than likely it won't go anywhere.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...dable-17904433

Quote:
West wanted to file the memo now in part because the state legislature is already looking at reform of minimum lot size rules. State Sen. Paul Bettencourt, a Houston Republican, filed a bill in the last regular legislative session that would have reduced minimum lot sizes to 1,400 square feet. Minimum lot sizes in Dallas range between 5,000 square feet and 7,500 square feet, according to Candy’s Dirt, a real estate news website. West wants to see minimum lot sizes in Dallas reduced to 1,500 square feet, which is the minimum lot size in Houston. Austin recently reduced minimum lot sizes to 2,500 square feet.
Good luck trying to sell to Dallas folk that they should go the Houston housing route. Maybe if they make it seem like Dallas was the one who started it first.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:56 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
This thread has gone way off track. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City