Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 10:32 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that I never see somewhere like Nashville innovating about SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, etc. At a minimum, the state government is going to be a drag on top-end economic development for Nashville.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ it's not an exception at all. There's no more excuses to be made just for DC. People will need to accept what it's definition includes at each level.
DC/Baltimore is very much an exception among major CSAs in its regional constitution and character but what's truly perplexing is why you perceive this as a slight or a value judgment against DC when it simply isn't. There are a host of historic, political, geographic, economic, cultural, etc factors that have shaped the DC's region's uniqueness in various ways so I don't see why it's so contentious to you in this context.

I very much accept what the DC/Baltimore CSA includes, which is why I mention both cities when referring to it. If anything, it could be argued that you seem to be hesitant to do what you accuse others of. And in the same vein, it should be realized that as a standard statistical delineation applied consistently using specified criteria, CSAs are quite limited in what they actually reflect and that's by design. This is why there are other regional designations that exist and, of course, if/how a region sees itself collectively. There's more nuance to this than "consult the CSA designation;" after all, you seem to get that when it comes to DC's Southern Census designation.

Quote:
That's the list and the measurement. It was the only list I had to go by, so it's why I was posted it.
It's not the only list you had to go by if you know how to do simple internet searches; you just used the one that best suited your argument at the time which we all tend to do at times but at the least folks shouldn't deny it. Listing GDPs by MSA is what's standard and most common so let's not act as though you have to make tons of FOIA requests over years to obtain that information.

Again, there's no axe to grind on my end here but you're seriously overcorrecting for something that doesn't even warrant going that far IMO.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The bottom line is that I never see somewhere like Nashville innovating about SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, etc.
If you haven't, it's certainly not because it doesn't happen, that's for sure.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

It's not the only list you had to go by if you know how to do simple internet searches; you just used the one that best suited your argument at the time which we all tend to do at times but at the least folks shouldn't deny it. Listing GDPs by MSA is what's standard and most common so let's not act as though you have to make tons of FOIA requests over years to obtain that information.

Again, there's no axe to grind on my end here but you're seriously overcorrecting for something that doesn't even warrant going that far IMO.
It's not that serious. I actually only had a list of GDP numbers by CSA, and posted them nothing more nothing less. I copied and pasted from another thread where 18Montclair posted them. If I had them by MSA, city proper or whatever metric I would have posted them too. I certainly didn't have time to dig up another metric, and beyond that the data we have to look at is far from misleading it's real. All the other stuff you mentioned has low relevance to me on C-D. I simply look at numbers and provide as objective opinion as possible based on the data.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The bottom line is that I never see somewhere like Nashville innovating about SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, etc. At a minimum, the state government is going to be a drag on top-end economic development for Nashville.
Vanderbilt, the healthcare ecosystem, and the creative industries help Nashville's economic development. Agree that the state government is a drag on economic development. You can only offer so many corporate incentives if your state's social policy is regressive and not welcoming to the best talent.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's not that serious. I actually only had a list of GDP numbers by CSA, and posted them nothing more nothing less. I copied and pasted from another thread where 18Montclair posted them. If I had them by MSA, city proper or whatever metric I would have posted them too. I certainly didn't have time to dig up another metric, and beyond that the data we have to look at is far from misleading it's real. All the other stuff you mentioned has low relevance to me on C-D. I simply look at numbers and provide as objective opinion as possible based on the data.
DC/Baltimore CSA data is real but misleading when the implication is that they are reflective of DC only.

But I agree that it's not that serious. DC being the nation's 5th most influential city instead of 3rd, or vice versa, is an argument that can be made from several legitimate perspectives. But when you get into CSA territory, pretending as though Baltimore's contribution to its CSA is no different that that of Poughkeepsie, Ontario, or Kenosha to their respective CSAs since they are all "other cities that every CSA has" is disingenuous.

Old 11-23-2023, 06:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Vanderbilt, the healthcare ecosystem, and the creative industries help Nashville's economic development. Agree that the state government is a drag on economic development. You can only offer so many corporate incentives if your state's social policy is regressive and not welcoming to the best talent.
This is so true. I talk to top talent everyday and none of them will move to a state based on constitutional carry, banning critical race theory, and legislating drag shows. That will keep some away. People like to see people thrive and be able to live out their ideals.

People want clean, safe, and efficient cities. Bike lanes, useful transit and walkability are a must for attracting top talent.

If you have a msa of over 2 million and don't have a type of rapid transit funded with plans on the drawing board, that city is behind.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:12 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
^^^ Raleigh area seems like it would be tailor made for someone like me and under different circumstances I would consider it. However, when I lived in Denver, I worked for a company based in Raleigh. Often times we’d discuss moving to HQ and quite a few people say “nice city but it’s still in the south.”

Old 11-23-2023, 07:22 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
^^^ Raleigh area seems like it would be tailor made for someone like me and under different circumstances I would consider it. However, when I lived in Denver, I worked for a company based in Raleigh. Often times we’d discuss moving to HQ and quite a few people say “nice city but it’s still in the south.”
My first real job was in Raleigh and I lived in Durham.

It was a totally different place in the 90s but it just wasn't it. Many times I thought it was too conservative. Highly educated population even back then.

There seemed to be a type of person who would settle down in Raleigh vs a Denver. No city is for everyone.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
I do agree that state politics are keeping back major cities in the south, but it hasn't been bad as it is becoming recently.

Cities previously were usually like autonomous islands around a sea of conservative politics. But now that things are so divisive it's like states are actively attacking big cities.

Houston is a bad word in Texas politics. So many state laws have been passed geared to attacking Houston/ Harris County specifically. I am convinced that the state has been a contributing factor in the slower pace of growth for the city.

After Hurricane Harvey the state decided hurricane relief funds should go everywhere else but Houston, r city that was impacted hardest. The city has to sue for Harvey Relief Funds.

The state has passed Houston various Houston specific laws in areas ranging from education to voting access. The state recently took over Houston School district, and in response to booming democrat turnout in the county set ballot dropoff points all the way back to 1 box per county. It may seem to be on the outside a uniform law, but when you think of it it's ridiculous. Harris County is nearing 5 million people and it gets the same number of boxes as Loving County which barely has 5 dozen people.

I'm afraid that these sunbelt states will be the cause of their own ruin. Pretty soon buying companies with tax cuts won't be adequate lures to gain new jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City