Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 08:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I do agree that state politics are keeping back major cities in the south, but it hasn't been bad as it is becoming recently.

Cities previously were usually like autonomous islands around a sea of conservative politics. But now that things are so divisive it's like states are actively attacking big cities.

Houston is a bad word in Texas politics. So many state laws have been passed geared to attacking Houston/ Harris County specifically. I am convinced that the state has been a contributing factor in the slower pace of growth for the city.

After Hurricane Harvey the state decided hurricane relief funds should go everywhere else but Houston, r city that was impacted hardest. The city has to sue for Harvey Relief Funds.

The state has passed Houston various Houston specific laws in areas ranging from education to voting access. The state recently took over Houston School district, and in response to booming democrat turnout in the county set ballot dropoff points all the way back to 1 box per county. It may seem to be on the outside a uniform law, but when you think of it it's ridiculous. Harris County is nearing 5 million people and it gets the same number of boxes as Loving County which barely has 5 dozen people.

I'm afraid that these sunbelt states will be the cause of their own ruin. Pretty soon buying companies with tax cuts won't be adequate lures to gain new jobs.
Weird considering Greater Houston is the second fastest growing MSA.

Old 11-23-2023, 08:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Weird considering Greater Houston is the second fastest growing MSA.
Growth doesn't always mean greatness.

Old 11-24-2023, 07:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Growth doesn't always mean greatness.
I agree. The post said “slower pace of growth”

Old 11-24-2023, 07:56 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I agree. The post said “slower pace of growth”
Yes slower than itself previously, not in relation to others.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:34 AM

441 posts, read 229,109 times
None of these cities are gonna approach NYC, LA, or Chicago in influence or grandeur. These southern states just cater to businesses

Old 11-24-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
None of these cities are gonna approach NYC, LA, or Chicago in influence or grandeur. These southern states just cater to businesses
Doesn't seem like people care much for grandeur as those 3 cities have been the biggest population losers the last few years.

In terms of influence I would lay money on you being wrong. Influence changes quickly for all cities not named NY. Then again, I bet there was a time that Boston and Philly folks thought NYC would never be as influential as them. Baltimore sure looked down on DC as a backwater nowhere.

To many these southern cities offer way more than your precious legacy cities. Not everyone values the same thing you do and it is very elitist to think your tastes are the only ones that matter.

Old 11-24-2023, 12:43 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Doesn't seem like people care much for grandeur as those 3 cities have been the biggest population losers the last few years.

In terms of influence I would lay money on you being wrong. Influence changes quickly for all cities not named NY. Then again, I bet there was a time that Boston and Philly folks thought NYC would never be as influential as them. Baltimore sure looked down on DC as a backwater nowhere.

To many these southern cities offer way more than your precious legacy cities. Not everyone values the same thing you do and it is very elitist to think your tastes are the only ones that matter.
Well said.

BTW, what are they smoking at Barrons these days?

Old 11-24-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Well said.

BTW, what are they smoking at Barrons these days?
The way publications fight to survive these days, I always question the motivations behind articles

Old 11-24-2023, 04:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Every city has its ups and downs. Houston and Dallas won't always be in a growth spurt. I personally don't see those cities becoming NYC. It was never designed to be.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:14 AM

441 posts, read 229,109 times
Cities like NY, Boston, Chicago, and Philly can replicate the suburbia and sprawl of the sunbelt, but these sunbelt cities will never be able to replicate the urban landscape of these legacy cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City